Cruiser to FJ?

joebiker25

Hi all: I have been riding for over 30 years off an on. Last 10 years has been on a 2006 Honda VTX 1300 S. Love the rock solid reliability, retro looks and relaxed seating position. IMG_20150119_103130.jpg
I ride a lot of twisties now and am very tired of dragging footboards and lack of any TC or ABS. Seriously considering the BMW S100XR but the FJ-09 is mighty tempting! I don't want to deal with reliability issues and the high entry cost of the BMW is giving me pause. I will go test ride a FJ-09 this weekend but am afraid I will take one home!Anyway, I really appreciate all the insight and reviews on the site!

Congrats! I do love the VTX...super comfy for 2 up, endless highway miles without issue. I will keep it either way. Let me know how you adjust to the FJ. Thanks!
Of all the cruisers, I seem to gravitate to the VTX especially. I've never ridden one, but of the cruisers I've sat on in bike shops the VTX is among my favorites. I've since determined cruisers in general are not for me. I am very curious of your assessment of an FJ coming from a VTX should that day come. 

Two bikes ago I had a Magna 750 a mid size cruiser. The Fj puts the passenger up pretty tall. My wife likes being able to see whats going on so the Fj wins there. I put a top mount Givi hard case with the back rest on it this works great for her.The fj is a capable two up machine that when riding alone can just fly in the canyons.

Hello everyone,

I am new here, and new to forums, in general, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking in the wrong part of forum.

My question is, Is the FJ-09 the right bike for me...?

Background - I live in Houston, Texas, am 42 years old, in decently fit shape, 5'9", 190 lbs, blonde hair [just kidding], but thought it is important to note my height, with regard to the bike. I had a couple of small dirt bikes as a kid, had a 4-wheeler as a kid, had a Kawasaki 440 LTD Cruiser for a little more than a year when I was 18, have ridden friends bikes on and off through the years, and broke down and bought a 2014 Honda CRF 250L a year and a half ago. I have literally never ridden it in the dirt, but ride it a fair amount for leisure after work and on weekends, all on the street. I am signed up for a one day intermediate riding safety course in September, to learn better riding habits, and to get my endorsement on my license.

Back to it. I have gone and looked at a 2015 FJ-09 and "put my hands on it", and sat on it, etc., and it feels like a really comfortable bike, so I am completely SOLD on it, having read review after review and seeing mainly all positive.

I will add that I do not have any desire to learn to ride wheelies, or race it, or ride it on a track, etc.. Nothing at all against any of that, I find it fascinating to watch, I simply am not much of a Daredevil anymore.

Would anyone please give me your fair opinion of my desire to own one...., as in , is this the right bike for me, based on my experience...?

Thank you for any thoughts..!

• Premium Member
Hello everyone, 
I am new here, and new to forums, in general, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking in the wrong part of forum.

Background - I live in Houston, Texas, am 42 years old, in decently fit shape, 5'9", 190 lbs, blonde hair [just kidding], but thought it is important to note my height, with regard to the bike. I had a couple of small dirt bikes as a kid, had a 4-wheeler as a kid, had a Kawasaki 440 LTD Cruiser for a little more than a year when I was 18, have ridden friends bikes on and off through the years, and broke down and bought a 2014 Honda CRF 250L a year and a half ago. I have literally never ridden it in the dirt, but ride it a fair amount for leisure after work and on weekends, all on the street. I am signed up for a one day intermediate riding safety course in September, to learn better riding habits, and to get my endorsement on my license.

Back to it. I have gone and looked at a 2015 FJ-09 and "put my hands on it", and sat on it, etc., and it feels like a really comfortable bike, so I am completely SOLD on it, having read review after review and seeing mainly all positive.

I will add that I do not have any desire to learn to ride wheelies, or race it, or ride it on a track, etc.. Nothing at all against any of that, I find it fascinating to watch, I simply am not much of a Daredevil anymore.

Would anyone please give me your fair opinion of my desire to own one...., as in , is this the right bike for me, based on my experience...?

Perhaps a moderator will place this post in a thread of its own in the noob's section.

You are an adult so the only one to decide if this is the right bike for you is YOU.

A bike purchase is more than just about your experience. You have seen one and sat on it so you should have an idea if the ergonomics suit you. You might be 5'9" tall but have not said the length of your legs. Even if your legs are short you ride a CRF250 so may have lots of confidence in situations where the ground slopes away from you. You are obviously attracted by the appearance and the price must be okay. That's enough for some people to put down a deposit.

Do your safety course next month and see what happens. Your tutor will be in a better position to advise on a suitable bike for you. Whatever you decide, get a test ride before committing yourself.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Hello everyone, 

Welcome cvw73! I am 5' 10" with a 30 inch inseam and I can put both feet flat on the ground in the low seat position. The bike is easy to ride, with a very comfortable upright body position. Its a great FOG bike, as you have probably gathered. Its light, nimble and can be ridden sedately or like a wild man. When I bought mine I had a tendency to over steer, coming off a longer and heavier bike. Best bet is to take a demo ride and see how quickly you light up with a smile!

STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

Ogri - Thank you very much for your input, I appreciate it.

Can you tell me what a "FOG" bike is...? 

I will keep you guys posted. My Class training is next month on Friday September 18th.

I also looked at the FZ-07, but I prefer the windshield and the bag options, and the overall size and appearance of the FJ. I know that either of those bikes will have much more speed and power than I willy ever utilize, but I bought the 250, and after a week [like several buddies told me I would], I regretted not getting something a little bit larger. If I'm going to spend this kind of $$ on a bike, I want to make sure it's something that I won't "outgrow" anytime soon.

Thanks again..!

Ogri - Thank you very much for your input, I appreciate it. 
Can you tell me what a "FOG" bike is...? 

I will keep you guys posted. My Class training is next month on Friday September 18th.

I also looked at the FZ-07, but I prefer the windshield and the bag options, and the overall size and appearance of the FJ. I know that either of those bikes will have much more speed and power than I willy ever utilize, but I bought the 250, and after a week [like several buddies told me I would], I regretted not getting something a little bit larger. If I'm going to spend this kind of $$ on a bike, I want to make sure it's something that I won't "outgrow" anytime soon.

Thanks again..!
FOG - Fast Old Guy 

I hate recommending this bike to brand new riders but having some experience as you seem to have, you will probably be just fine. You seem to be sensible enough to take it easy until you are more comfortable. Just start out in B mode and you will be fine. You will probably be out of B mode by the end of your first ride, and that's fine. Just start there as this thing has ridiculous power compared to anything you've listed as riding in the past.  Any of my friends I let ride, I mandate that they start out in B mode, just so they get a feel for the balance and steering before they add the power in.  I don't care if they switch modes at the next stop, I just want them to get the feel of the bike first.  There's only a few bikes out there with similar riding positions and they are very uncommon in my area.  None of my friends have ridden a bike with a similar riding position so they are more preoccupied with where their feet are and how high they are sitting to worry about a throttle that's even more powerful in B mode than they are used to.

Congrats! I do love the VTX...super comfy for 2 up, endless highway miles without issue. I will keep it either way. Let me know how you adjust to the FJ. Thanks!
Coming from a V-Star 950, I was shocked to find that the FJ09 is somehow better riding 2up... I still can't wrap my head around that.  More importantly, the FJ has made me feel like what I was doing before wasn't even motorcycling.  It's so much better and more fun in every possible way, and has made me love riding again (I was actually quite bored to the point of avoiding riding).  The throttle needs a steady hand but it's part of the fun.  I love how engaged it makes me feel. 
I hope you find what you're looking for!
//QED

Root - Thank you very much for your input. I certainly would/will be starting out in B mode, as you mentioned. This bike sounds wickedly fast...!!

I definitely like the upright riding position, as that is what initially drew me to look at this one.

That's hilarious about FOG......didn't get the acronym.

Again, thank you for the information, it is all very relevant and useful...!!

Archived