What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Installed The LED Knuckle guards and the mirror extenders from Carl's Cycle yesterday evening. Saturday I installed the BlasterX  Custom LED tail light. 2 weeks ago I installed a Ghost Alarm and Red pin striping on my wheels and the week before that I installed Shad side cases. I hope my farkeling is over for a while, except for some reflective tape I have on order that I'm going to put on they back of the Shad cases. I need to quit reading this forum and seeing all the neat stuff you guys come up with.

I've owned my FJ since May 16th and now have 1,750 some odd miles on it. Purchase second hand with 470 miles on the clock, so I can't take credit for all. Didn't do much until I was sure she was a keeper. Well she is, so slowly I've started my farkling. Unwilling to spend a zillion dollars on doing so as I kinda feel if I have to do that, maybe I purchased the wrong bike. I went crazy on my last two bikes and it's great fun to do, but having to take it easy on this one. Little things can make a big difference IMO. Once I figure out how to convert my Penske shock and Traxxion internals off my Honda, I'll be real happy LOL. At least I dream about doing it though I know its not possible. Putting my kid through college and a high dollar suspension is a no go for the time being. I'm spoiled though after riding the Honda suspension wise. FJ only needs slight upgrades, Honda needed allot. 

I installed the Koubalink mirror extenders. That was a must do. They blend in perfectly, easy to install and work. I also purchased a pair of Givi SV201 saddlebags, that also expand. They come with inside zippered pockets for rain covers, which I'm sure I'll use. Ended up removing the passenger grab handles and OEM luggage brackets for a tighter fit. Black taped the bodywork so the bags slight rubbing won't leave marks. No brackets to install, not much extra weight, and no waiting for brackets which I feel for you guys.  Just slap em on and off I go. They do stay on well and I can pack all I need for a weekend of riding. Then I added some reflective 3m wheel tape and ordered the red FJ-09 decals thanks to fellow member spunrdneck for the idea. I added a double 1/8" tape line under the tank which seems to break up the Matte Gray and extends well from the two line OE FJ-09 decal. Tank bag I've had for several years. Cortech magnetic, works great. Added Battery Tender cable, which I can see I left dangling and Ermax Sport screen in Gray Satin finish. Not pleased with the Ermax as I've previously posted but it is a nice match and looks way better then the OE screen. Then replaced the plastic screen screws with Allen head stainless steel screws. I managed to add a throttle lock, Vista Cruz brand which could have been easier to do but I used the wrong size screw and the installation took 3-4 hours, oops. Also added a set of OES frame sliders which can kind of be used to stretch your legs out on. The sliders don't quite extend out far enough and one has  to be careful about just flopping the old legs back down to the pegs, but they work. I've had the recall done and now I'm trying to find a preference for location as to where my GPS will go. Plus I'm still pondering on the seat. Needs an improvement for sure. I won't truly look at her with gleaming eyes until my seat is happy.

Future mods will include lowering links. I can ride her but I know once I get the bags full and get an off angle stop or pothole, something bad could happen. Still on my tip toes. The ECU I'd like to get flashed. The throttle doesn't bother me much, gotten used to it and the little jerking. But if the bike can be better performance wise, for the price, it's worth it to me. Not till winter though when I'm not riding much. Bike needs some type of decent helmet lock and maybe a tail bag. I don't like packing heavy, so the tail bag is a maybe but I'm sure it will be necessary for extra riding gear if going cross county. Last thing I'm sure I'll need is a rear fender extender for the wetter rides and a suitable taller windshield for protection from the elements during rainy season.

jwTHGCD.jpg

xad3h4Y.jpg

The Ermax Sport screen in Satin Gray is a little darker then the body work at one angle and lighter at another. But I think its a good color choice. Screen is shimmed out 1 full inch @ the bottom and still shoots wind at my visor shield. Needs more down angle at the top or top cut down for my 5' 6". It's a good screen choice for riders about 5' 10" or taller I think. Just a guess though without going back through the threads.

wFCrbVV.jpg
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
Today I was unique and installed 1/4 inch red trim tape on the fuel tank grey area recess line.
Ok, not my idea, but it does look nice.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Today I was unique and installed 1/4 inch red trim tape on the fuel tank grey area recess line. Ok, not my idea, but it does look nice.
PICS? !! 
Ty

3805151.jpg 

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Panooch, any comments on the vista cruise installation? I had only seen it without the hand guards.
You can see a photo in the thread "Throttle Lock" found here.  link dated June 12 th.  
I was unable to get it to work at first but backslider said he got his to work with the standard drain hole in the throttle cable housing lower cover. He was right. It works fine and thank you backslider. My hand guards are on, though photo does not show them clearly. There are different versions of the Vista Cruise. Use this one which backslider also provided the info on. link

I ground down my engagement lever, knob, for personal preference. Have a tendency to put my thumb down on the L bracket while riding and the knob was sticking out too far. Photo shows the L bracket not completely pushed onto the screw. It backed off after hitting it with my hand yesterday. I need to put star washers top and bottom to keep it in place better.

FcrYvXR.jpg

39SmoNZ.jpg

gwsn4Md.jpg
I know I blew the bike off after yesterdays ride. Missed the right bar side though.

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Thanks for the info panooch. I need to go see if my heated grips are setup the same. Post by cbr600 on July 4, 2015 at 8:12am

Regarding the Universal Vista Cruise: I put one on mine, but it moved the brake lever to the left and throttle to the right and left a 2 finger operation for the brake
Post by redfjniner on May 12, 2015 at 12:20pm

Read more: link

Your welcome. Please note, I do not have heated grips installed, OEM or aftermarket. Redfjniner I believe does have heated grips.

07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
20+ years of snowmobiles

With 4850 miles on the bike I decided it  was a good time to start tweaking the suspension a bit, even though I suspect that in the long run the best answer will be updated fork components and a new shock (and that will wait until until another budget cycle). Today's task was to experiment with softening the preload settings. I'm about 166 pounds and a recent 10 day trip with 55 pounds of camping gear suggested the default preload was too much. Disclaimer: although I understand suspension components and adjustments in the abstract, when it comes to putting that information into practice, I'm a noob. In other words, I don't think any of my conclusions break any new ground :)

I laid out a 4 mile course that consisted of suburban/semi-rural two lane with some nice turns along with the requisite bumpiness that call out the worst of the FJ-09's suspension harshness.

I rode around the course with the default, as-delivered settings. Then I softened the fork preload to show one more ring on the adjusters. One the next lap around the course, the bike felt a bit better, but the rear harshness was even more apparent. I then softened the shock preload from the default setting to 2 (from the default 4). The next lap around the course seemed much better. 

I took a nice 40 minute ride to make sure the changes had not introduced any unexpected handling effects, which I'm happy to say, didn't occur. I think I'll give the new settings a couple of hundred miles before I experiment with the rebound settings. I need to give the new preload settings a try on the frost-heaved nasty pavement in northern New England.

- Joe

With 4850 miles on the bike I decided it  was a good time to start tweaking the suspension a bit, even though I suspect that in the long run the best answer will be updated fork components and a new shock (and that will wait until until another budget cycle). Today's task was to experiment with softening the preload settings. I'm about 166 pounds and a recent 10 day trip with 55 pounds of camping gear suggested the default preload was too much. Disclaimer: although I understand suspension components and adjustments in the abstract, when it comes to putting that information into practice, I'm a noob. In other words, I don't think any of my conclusions break any new ground 
- Joe
I set mine @ 6 1/2 notches on the front for 195 lb rider weight and 20 lbs of gear to get 30% sag. Should be a good starting point to get you where you want it with 220 lbs payload. I forget what I set the rear at. I'll let you know. 

07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Thanks for the info panooch. I need to go see if my heated grips are setup the same. Post by cbr600 on July 4, 2015 at 8:12am

Regarding the Universal Vista Cruise: I put one on mine, but it moved the brake lever to the left and throttle to the right and left a 2 finger operation for the brake
Post by redfjniner on May 12, 2015 at 12:20pm

Read more: link

Your welcome. Please note, I do not have heated grips installed, OEM or aftermarket. Redfjniner I believe does have heated grips.
I have just fitted a modified Vista Universal throttle-lock (poor man's cruise control) to my Tracer.   This particular unit has been on more bikes than Valentino Rossi, so well does it work. As the adjacent switch-block was too wide to accommodate the lateral rod and h'bar clamp that secures it and stops the toggle from turning with the grip, I simply replaced it with a 6"/ 150mm length of ally strip.   This is secured onto the inside of the hand-guard with a single screw (highlighted in the pic with the yellow paper arrow).   Now painted matt black, this fitting is all but invisible (the white paper is there just to give a background for highlighting the parts).   Carefully 'tuned' to prevent gradual throttle 'creep' and operated simply by a flick of the thumb on the toggle on or off (up or down), this device works very well.   In truth, I never use it in traffic, and even when on the open road only for short spells to give my wrist and hand a bit of a break, but it's a useful thing to have in our wide brown land.
L of S
http://i.imgur.com/DhZRUjm.jpg