Considering move from bagger to FJ

Have had multiple baggers and big touring bikes; spend a lot of time chasing FZ1s and Multistrada's through the twists and looking to go lighter (300-400lbs lighter).  So I have a few questions I could use some help with:
Will the FJ-09 be comfortable for 400 mile/ max 600 mile days?  I leave RI and head down to the Blue Ridge or head north into the adirondacks and easily rack up 350-400mile days.
I look forward to the upright position but have concerns of having legs n one position for multiple hours; are there any options that allow you to stretch legs out, even for 5-10 minutes?
How is the seat comfort for multi day trips racking up maybe 2500 miles?
What are you getting for range on a full tank of fuel?
Thanks for you help,
Jim

This is a good site for comparing the basic ergonomics of different bikes http://cycle-ergo.com/. I tend to stand on the pegs for a few minutes when I need to stretch. The seat is much maligned on this site, but after an adjustment period it is acceptable for multi-hour rides. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on a better alternative. I get over 50 mpg on longer runs, so around 240 miles.
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• Premium Member
I think the FJ is great for long days, but yes the seat could be improved. Fortunately that's not an expensive fix.

The windshield also isn't perfect, but just wear ear plugs until you can afford a replacement and you'll be fine.

On a long tour I think you'll come to really appreciate the lighter weight of the FJ. On tighter back roads muscling a large touring bike around is fatiguing. Some people talk about the "stability" of a larger bike, but I find that's more of an excuse than a true advantage.

I've done a lot of touring/bike camping on a Goldwing and K1300GT. (Western US/Canada/Alaska) Most day rides on the longer trips were in the range you're talking, 400 to 600 miles. I moved to the K1300 because I wanted something more sporty, but it still had a big bike feel.

I got the FJ-09 a few weeks ago with the intent to set it up for touring. It's still stock, and I would take it on a 2500 mile trip with just adding a storage solution, but here's my thoughts on dialing it in as a tourer after putting 1300 miles on it.

- I was concerned about the tank size at first, but the bike reports 50-55 mpg at 70-75 mph. (my typical touring highway speed) I haven't ridden a full tank on a long stretch like that yet, but seems the range should be fine for riding remote stretches of road. I find 200 miles is sufficient for everywhere I've ridden. (Except the Dalton Highway which is 500 miles with 1 fuel stop in the middle. )

- It needs a bigger windshield to cut down on the wind fatigue. I ordered the large http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJ-09prod.html but haven't got it yet.

- The seat is not great for full days in the saddle. The Corbin looks like the route I will go.

- My other bikes had cruise control and I used it a lot on long stretches. Cruise control, throttle lock, or even one of those plastic levers that let you hold the throttle open with your palm would be nice for hand relief. Looks like there's a full cruise control solution, but it's kind of pricey.

- Storage: For me, these look like the most functional of the storage options for long trips or bike camping, but maybe the next size down from the cases in the picture. Not sure: http://fj-09.org/thread/1837/fj-09-outfitted-xplorer-luggage

- Crash bars for mounting highway pegs: It's a lower priority but I'll most likely end up getting crashbars and some highway pegs for alternate foot positions. Currently I stand up, dangle my legs, or rest my feet on the passenger pegs to get relief. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-crashbars-engine-guards-ktm-1190-adventure-1190-adventure-r-35

** A comment in regards to big bike "stability" discussed above: There is definitely less fatigue and effort spent on bigger bikes for highway riding. I think weight and softer suspension is part of it, but the other part is things like bigger seats and more wind protection as well.

I have a 2015 Road King as well as my FJ-09 and for me the FJ is the more comfortable (and certainly exciting) bike for one-up riding. I'll pretty much ditto what mikem posted with the exception of the windshield which I happen to like. I normally leave it in the low position and experience smooth airflow w/o buffeting lifting it up to high for riding in a lot of rain or cold. Foot peg to seat distance is ample for my bad knees and the bars perfect in the forward setting. The seat isn't bad but I just redid mine with a Seat Concepts kit and really like it now. Here's post I did comparing it with the stock seat. http://fj-09.org/thread/2369/seat-concepts-stock-pictures 

For traveling, RKA expandable saddle bags (with Yamaha removable soft luggage stay kit) and a Drybag on the back seat provide plenty of storage even when camping.

IMG_1894_zps0th0er4h.jpg

• Premium Member
I bought the FJ after a long line of sportbikes, so this is a big bike for me, but I love it.
I completely redid the suspension and the windscreen, but that will be a personal decision.
The stock seat is fine for me. I rode 3018 miles in 8 days and went 209 miles on 3.93 gallons on one stretch. So it does get great mileage with a steady hand.
My only complaint would be a buzz thru the bars at 75 mph, but I don't notice it when the road has corners, so it might
just be a boredom thing. Ha ha.

I think you'll love this bike!

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I bought the FJ after a long line of sportbikes, so this is a big bike for me, but I love it. I completely redid the suspension and the windscreen, but that will be a personal decision.
The stock seat is fine for me. I rode 3018 miles in 8 days and went 209 miles on 3.93 gallons on one stretch. So it does get great mileage with a steady hand.
My only complaint would be a buzz thru the bars at 75 mph, but I don't notice it when the road has corners, so it might

Cheers
That buzz is irritating at 70-78 but kind of goes away at 80-85.  You have to ride in a State with 80-85 speed limits to enjoy that smooth zone.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Have had multiple baggers and big touring bikes; spend a lot of time chasing FZ1s and Multistrada's through the twists and looking to go lighter (300-400lbs lighter).  So I have a few questions I could use some help with: Will the FJ-09 be comfortable for 400 mile/ max 600 mile days?  I leave RI and head down to the Blue Ridge or head north into the adirondacks and easily rack up 350-400mile days.
I look forward to the upright position but have concerns of having legs n one position for multiple hours; are there any options that allow you to stretch legs out, even for 5-10 minutes?
How is the seat comfort for multi day trips racking up maybe 2500 miles?
What are you getting for range on a full tank of fuel?
Thanks for you help,
Jim

Just completed 22,000 miles on the FJ.  Have completed 380K in the last 19 years.  Have done many multiple days of 450-525 miles on the FJ, but prefer around 400 a day when touring, and thats on any bike.  The FJ with stock seat can do that without butt rot or much of anything.  Other's don't like the seat, but I must say I don't like bad seats that are good for 50-100 miles and you can hardly wait to get off of them, and the FJ's seat is not one of those.  A $500 Day Long Russell is a good option if you don't like the FJ seat.  To each his own regarding seats and windshields, of which each is most important for long distance riding.  I made my own windshield (DIY Wndshield) and it is near perfect in all seasons.  The upright seating position is good on the knees and I can pretty much sit on the FJ seat all day with a few stand ups along the way.  My knees complain on the FJR.  Now stopping helps too, but when you are riding 9 to 11 hours a day, you are on the bike a lot.  I have donethis one and  3 other trips over 2400 miles this year and am very happy with the riding position.  I am 160 lbs, 5-7, with a 30.5 inseam, all relevant to knees, butt and size of your windshield.  Now, here is the subjective part regarding fuel tank range:  I just completed 7,000 miles where I kept track of the mpg with Fuel Buddy (an app) and these are the mpg stats; 59.3 high, 49.88 average, 42.88 low.  The mpg on the dash is roughly 2 mpg happy but helps you understand the differences in mpg that you get at high altitude and sea level, as well as the spirited 150 miles you just completed.  One other thing, I tend to ride around 8-10 over while touring as long as I can do 68-75.  I ride very spirited in the curves, I ride The PACE, but not as fast as some.  

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
<snip> Now, here is the subjective part regarding fuel tank range:  I just completed 7,000 miles where I kept track of the mpg with Fuel Buddy (an app) and these are the mpg stats; 59.3 high, 49.88 average, 42.88 low.  The mpg on the dash is roughly 2 mpg happy but helps you understand the differences in mpg that you get at high altitude and sea level, as well as the spirited 150 miles you just completed.  One other thing, I tend to ride around 8-10 over while touring as long as I can do 68-75.  I ride very spirited in the curves, I ride The PACE, but not as fast as some.  
My FJ is reading the same as yours re: avg mpg read by the dash as opposed to that being calculated by fuel refill and mileage.  ie: on mine the dash reading is also consistently 2 mpg higher than I get by calculation.  Makes me wonder how it's being calculated by the dash.  The odometer reading would be the same, so I wonder how they calculate gas usage. 

• Premium Member
I bought the FJ after a long line of sportbikes, so this is a big bike for me, but I love it. I completely redid the suspension and the windscreen, but that will be a personal decision.

Cheers
That buzz is irritating at 70-78 but kind of goes away at 80-85.  You have to ride in a State with 80-85 speed limits to enjoy that smooth zone.
Ha Ha - what is funny is when we were on hwy 70 in Utah and I could go fast, we had screwed up and were out of gas.  So we were puttering along being passed by everyone and everything hoping to make it to Crescent Junction.  Only to find out I still have almost a gallon of gas left - even with the panic mode active.Cheers 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

My take coming from a cruiser with mustang seat.
I bought the FJ with the same concerns as you. I now have 600 miles on it and here is my experience.
After 40 miles I was not comfortable with the seat. It is horrible and painful. Most i could do is about 100 miles but then i would be sore all day. And i also cycle 20 miles every week. I ordered a Corbin and it made a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Next was the windscreen. So much wind noise it hurt. I think wearing ear plugs is something u should not have to do and is an unacceptable fix. Just installed a Madstad windscreen. I picked that screen cause it had the most adjustment and I also live 20 miles from them. Now the bike is absolutely transformed. I just road yesterday with my full face helmet screen in the up position and almost no wind noise. Just fresh air. I missed that from cruiser.
As for legs in on position that also has been tuff. I just straighten legs cause I have bad knees. I have read guys using crash pegs to rest legs on to stretch. Also the engine buzz in hands was brutal. I installed Grip Puppies and that took care of it. So for me the bike is fun but in stock form not comfortable for me and I regretted the purchase. BUT due to the fact my cruise had an aftermarket seat and windscreen I waited to get those installed to make my final evaluation. In stock for for comfort the bike was a 2 on a scale of 1-10. Now it's a solid 8. So much better and enjoyable. f3530f6020740b692fa4f21c004cdcc9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
You guy's funny! Buzz in the bars at 75 mph? Hmmm? Not for me! Seat could be better but I can do 200 miles take a break and get back on for another 200. For me Harley didn't work.Why do people buy them LOL!! HD.Means open up your wallet and bend over for out dated technology.Fill those baggers up and use them as dump trucks!!! The FJ for me is a no brainer! $10,300 for a almost perfect bike that you can ride thousands of miles on and just add gas !! I bought mine June 4th and have 6000 very enjoyable miles on! Love it!!

Oh ! I forgot about the wind noise? What wind noise?? Try a different helmet?
Are you a shorter fellow?  I ask because I'm 5-10", and I find the wind noise and buffeting to be rather obnoxious. 
I rode my friend's 2015 Duc Multistrada, and the wind protection was soooo much better.  And then just this weekend, another Duc-mounted rider told me that the 2015 MultiStrada windshield is one of the most picked upon features of the bike.

For me, the stock windshield sucks, regardless of the helmet, be it an Arai, Shoei, Bell or HJC.  Loud, loud, loud.

Can't wait for my Puig screen to arrive tomorrow, even though it kills me a little to support that company, as I still haven't forgiven Alberto for running his mouth about Pedrosa and Hayden in 2006.

Archived