• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Kaoko Throttle Lock

Well just got the Kaoko Throttle Lock YAM650 in the mail from Twisted throttle. Looks good but I'm in for some fun to get it installed.

Those with Yamaha heated grips, like me, this will not fit unless your ready to do some modification.
Apparently the throttle tube sticks out further from the bar on heated grips and the non threaded sholder is not long enough on the Kaoko to keep it from hitting the throttle tube before you have a chance to torque it down. I'm going to make a spacer to torque the Kaoko against so the friction nut has space to spin freely.

Wish me luck. Those that don't have Yamaha heated grips will simply just bolt this thing on and call it a day.
It will push out the hand guard a bit but should work in the end.

Here are some pics:

open?id=0B294YeaOYXiBUC1aQUN3Y0N5eWMviewuc?export=view&id=0B294YeaOYXiBYy1BOU9wSFQ0Y2M0B294YeaOYXiBYy1BOU9wSFQ0Y2Muc?export=view&id=0B294YeaOYXiBUC1aQUN3Y0N5eWM
uc?export=view&id=0B294YeaOYXiBWERJMVY5c2JvTHc
uc?export=view&id=0B294YeaOYXiBUzktbWZCRUoyN0E
uc?export=view&id=0B294YeaOYXiBdm4yQWFFRDZFeDg

Once I have it all done Ill put a write up together with pics.

Just finished up the Kaoko install. In the end it wasn't that bad. The toughest part was finding a sleeve/spacer with the correct ID and OD.
With the spacer I'm losing some threads that screw into the end of the handle bar but with a bit of blue threadlocker it should hold just fine.

Your going to need a 12 mm hex wrench to get the factory bar weight out. Tough to call it a bar weight since its made out of aluminum and weighs next to nothing. Luck enough I already had the 12 mm hex from the heated grips install. Help justify the cost of a tool I thought I was only going to use once.

Then screw the Kaoko into the end of the handle bar w/spacer. The Kaoko has flat spots on the end so you can crank on it with a 17 mm box wrench.

The sleeve I made was cut down to about 8.75mm. I lost the bag so I cant remember the original dimensions but Ill dig around for it. I picked it up @ tractor supply but any hardware store should carry it. In the end I was looking for 2mm gap for the friction nut to screw in and out. A gap that Kaoko specs in other kits they sell.

uc?export=view&id=0B294YeaOYXiBTlQ5SGNiNGJMSGc
uc?export=view&id=0B294YeaOYXiBQWc0LUNUOUY4Rmc
uc?export=view&id=0B294YeaOYXiBcTZwTktoNXROR0U
uc?export=view&id=0B294YeaOYXiBRmhTX1JkYUV2eTg
uc?export=view&id=0B294YeaOYXiBd1AzVFVpUGR3TFE

• Premium Member
Thanks for the writeup. I was looking at one of these, but it wasn't clear it would work with the hand protectors installed (I like them!) and given the high cost I didn't want to take the risk.

I've been using this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ERXG4TM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

and while it works pretty well, is well built, and inexpensive it does sometimes bug me to have it in between my hand and the switchgear and it's not that easy to get it fine-tuned to just the speed I want. The Kaoke looks like it works a lot like my old Throttlemeister, but likely easier given those big knobbies.

Now I just have to work out how not to be killed by my wife if I buy another thing for the bike. :-)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Great write up.  Very detailed explanation.  
Was thinking of  installing one,  have you had the opportunity to try it out? 

Btw,  how do you find the short levers.  Can't decide on the short or standard length. 
New farkle, of course I had to give it a spin. It does work but I really need some time with it before I can give it "the seal of approval". 
Levers are new as well and also getting used to them. Since I mostly 2 finger my way through the controls I figure I try the shorties. The brake I picked up at motomummy, best price. The clutch was a PITA to find since out of stock everywhere. I ended up caving in and paying full price from ASV. I can say this about them so far, the short clutch I instantly liked. The brake, may be in my head but feels like it requires more effort to stop hard. May end up getting the standard size for the brake if it bothers me.

ASV F3 clutch short - CRF340S
ASV F3 brake short - BRF341S

They both bolted up with no clearance or interference issues.

Thanks for the writeup. I was looking at one of these, but it wasn't clear it would work with the hand protectors installed (I like them!) and given the high cost I didn't want to take the risk. 
I've been using this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ERXG4TM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

and while it works pretty well, is well built, and inexpensive it does sometimes bug me to have it in between my hand and the switchgear and it's not that easy to get it fine-tuned to just the speed I want. The Kaoke looks like it works a lot like my old Throttlemeister, but likely easier given those big knobbies.

Now I just have to work out how not to be killed by my wife if I buy another thing for the bike. :-)

It does fit with the guards but requires a bit more stretch with the heated grips. I loosened all the hardware that mounts the hand guards to get as much slack as I could but it does require a bit of flex from the guards.  
Yea, I used a much cheaper version of this but didn't like the grip real estate it took up. I originally tired to buy it direct from Kaoko since it would have been much cheaper but they don't sell direct to the US. Unfortunately the distributor takes a nice hunk of markup and it ends up being far from cheap. Ill be back with a solid opinion once I have some miles on it.

That looks like the trick I used to do on my Road Star. You could un-screw the end cap from the grip and put like 2or3 quarters in it and screw it back on. When you wanted to cruise you just tightened the end cap and the throttle would stay at that speed. lol

I undid the handguard completely, fitted the Kaoko to the tightness I felt was best. Fitted the two small bolts at the front and then borrowed an extra set of hand to manipulate the handguard to fit the main outer bolt. Simple and works pretty well, just need to adjust it on a ride to get it perfect.

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
Having OEM heated grips I read where someone managed to install the Kaoko without the spacer with the heated grips, so I want to know more detail about that before I buy this TL.  But if I'm understanding correctly, the Kaoko does not have just either On or Off operation like the NEP or Vista Cruise but instead when engaged holds the throttle in position with friction from the O-ring (washer) and the throttle must me manipulated to slow down, correct?

I currently use the Universal Vista Cruise which I had to significantly modify with my own rotation reaction stay for it to function but otherwise as designed. The Universal VC takes up about 5/8" of the throttle grip on its inboard end which thus moves your hand outward that dimension eating up precious space that I need, as I wear heavily armored gloves on my size 11+ hands. I also added a foam rubber doughnut to the inboard side of the left grip to center and align my shoulders.

With the OEM heated grips (even without in my case the KTM hand guards) you cannot use the NEP and standard Vista Cruise throttle locks because the grip must be slid outward on the throttle tube the thickness of the parts that fit between the inboard end of the grip and throttle housing, and only one of the standard VC models comes in a configuration that utilizes a separate rotation reaction bracket that is retained by throttle housing halve screw if one exists in the needed position but I think this configuration is more thsn a bit Rube Goldberg and could fail with catastrophic results. Otherwise with the NEP and standard VC an alternative means of fixing the reaction arm is required due to the configuration of the throttle housing where the cable protrude upward and forward rather than down at 6 O'Clock where the throttle locks reaction arms are design to engage. There are videos on YouTube how this can be dealt with (look for a Kawasaki Ninja 1000 How-To) but again it only applies without heated grips and hand guards.

20161026_223755.jpg

20161026_224707.jpg

20170306_222835.jpg

Archived