New instrument cluster

Hi all. So after my 11hr ride across France the other day in torrential rain I've had to have a new instrument cluster ordered to replace mine.
Basically it had so much water/condensation in it that it was unreadable for a week and I had to rely on my Garmin montana as a speedo.
Anyone else had this issue?

Stock screen, or aftermarket?  I ask because there was a photo somewhere online that showed a melted cluster on an FJ-09 with an aftermarket screen. It seems the screen concentrated the solar power in one spot on the cluster and melted it slightly.

I plan to order a light smoke screen for this reason, though I have always preferred clear in the past.

I've ridden mine every day for six months, rain or shine. It's been monsooned upon, thrashed in the mud and generally abused. Not a single problem with mine so far.
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

• 1 month later...
Condensation on the lower right of the screen this morning, second time I've seen it, goes away a few hours later, I took a pic and emailed the dealer, they say Yamaha wants me to send in the cluster, since it's an intermittent problem I'm afraid they won't see it. I've been riding for over 20 years and this was my first brand new bike I ever purchased, should have know first year model issues would annoy me.
2015 FJ-09
2009 WR250R
1989 HawkGT

• Premium Member
Mine does not seem to like being out in the sun on a hot day. The "Multi" side is showing signs of being overheated. I need to take it back to the dealer I guess.

I see the same thing happen to my screen. Have you contacted the dealer yet? Right side only, screen goes dark until some air moves over it. 

4130262.jpg

• 1 month later...
Anyone have an updated on the clusters? I have a feeling that right side just can't handle heat. Whenever I ride in 100+ degree weather, that basically fails or becomes hard to read. I would imagine a replacement would just do the same. Anyone had any lucky?

• Premium Member
I can't tell you about replacements, but my original instrument cluster works fine in 100+ heat (typical Tucson summer temps). The only time it's hard to read is when the sun gets in just the right position behind me, and the glare is a killer.
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

• Premium Member
How does my thread on the dash panel filling up with water turn into this?
are you new to the internet? 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived