new MRA Sports screen

doyler

Hi folks i put this on today cost 70 euro on german eBay 

this has really helped with  the noise issue i was having with standard screen  its not perfect but much improved i am 5 11 and the air does not hit you so much in the face you can drive with your vision up and is ok and is a lot less noise around the helmet tested up 160 kmh and was good 
cheers 

IMG_5277_zps6d8f44yr.jpg

IMG_5276_zpssfpdidfh.jpg

• Premium Member
Hi folks i put this on today cost 70 euro on german eBay  
this has really helped with  the noise issue i was having with standard screen  its not perfect but much improved i am 5 11 and the air does not hit you so much in the face you can drive with your vision up and is ok and is a lot less noise around the helmet tested up 160 kmh and was good 
cheers

Looks like another option to reduce noise for those that don't want to go bigger. Hope it works out for you. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

can you please post more exact information about the model name.  I've surveyed online sources and can't determine if I've located the EXACT model you've got.  I can find the model that looks close and length is the same, but its labeled a touring screen, and the models labeled "sport" don't look like yours...

thanx in advance

• 1 year later...
I just purchased and installed the MRA "Touring Screen" on my FJ. Touring Screen, not in the sense that it is larger and covers more area, but it does redirect the air flow up and around the helmet by its design thus reducing turbulence and buffeting. I am happy with it and do like the looks of the shorter screen versus the stock. I just wasn't keen to the selection of wind screens out their so I took a gamble on this one. Twisted Throttle has a couple left and good pictures of the install to help you make up your mind. These MRA screens are made in Germany and nice thick high quality acrylic.

• 2 months later...
I also have problems with the stock screen. I am 5'9" and found turbulence quite severe.

With the stock screen at lowest position, the ride is very noisy at cruising speeds >80km/h (50MPH for some) while the turbulence is really bad. At highest position, in addition to turbulence, I hear loud crackling noise just above top of helmet. Mid position, seems to be the loudest.

I tried the Puig touring screen. It was noticeably quieter with no turbulence. However, it protected me from the wind so much there was absolutely no wind cooling effect at the front of my body. As I live in a very hot and humid country, riding in summer was very uncomfortable. The Puig lasted two rides and back came the stock screen.

Today, I installed the MRA Touring screen (it really should be called a sports screen as it is very small, see pic below). Tried it for a short ride and am already very impressed. There is no turbulence. I ride in smooth air. Noise is still there but much reduced. Much more comfortable. Downside is there is little protection at helmet level and I can feel the wind pushing hard against my head (I now sympathize with naked bike riders!). I guess, there is no free lunch.

Two plus points; the hand guards do not touch the screen and it installs in the original brackets making installation or removal possible in about 5 minutes.

Did I say it also looks much nicer than the stock screen. I installed the smoke grey color which suited my black bike just fine.

BTW, I did not bother installing the edge guard that came with the MRA as I felt it was not needed.

2017_01_27_12_02_51.jpg

2017_01_27_13_16_31.jpg

2017_01_27_17_00_33.jpg

• 8 months later...
I just ordered this from Twisted Throttle and it should arrive tomorrow. My first official mod! I will give some feedback after trying it. I will also be getting a larger screen for more wind protection during this colder season but for now the MRA should at least beat the oem screen for general use.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

Of course it wasn't actually in stock. Womp womm wommmm. :(
They are rushing a delivery from MRA but I won't get it until mid next week.
Now I need a temporary solution. I wonder if anybody in my area has something I could use. I may just cut down the stock windscreen myself.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

• Supporting Member
@morkys - Before you start cutting down the stock screen, try just removing it entirely. Several of us have done that as a temporary measure, and the consensus seems to be that no screen at all actually works quite well. It seems counter-intuitive, but definitely worth a try.

2whltuner - I have not checked out the for sale forum. I will look there and see what I find.

texscottyd - Thanks. I have removed the screen altogether and it is 'better'. I still experience some buffeting. I think it may be the cooler windy weather. I only got back into riding last year with my CB500F and in 2016 I pulled my groin and got a hernia in early October so I stopped riding. I have not experienced cool or cold weather riding, which tends to be windier and the air is denser. I may try and compare what the FJ09 is like vs my CB500F as the Honda has zero fairing.

In the end I will probably end up with a short screen like the MRA (or who knows, I may try another short screen like the Puig) and a larger screen like the puig touring (or maybe I will make a touring screen from an FJR screen) for cooler weather riding.

P.S. Does anybody know what the OEM Yamaha Touring screen for the FJ09 is like? Is it useful? I see one for sale in Ontario for $100.

thanks for the feedback folks

smiley.png

Archived