Exceeding recommended load weight

2whltuner

I realize that I will need upgraded suspension components properly set up will work without issues, my main concern here was about stress on the subframe and potential failure, which of course would be catastrophic if it happened at the most inopportune time. 
Wessie, Yes I did ask for opinions, but really, buy a Goldwing, loose some weight, not exactly what I would have expected, that's the best you can come up with.

beameer, when you rode two-up on your FJ for your 3 day trip, you stated you had the factory saddlebags and that they were packed with your gear. Based on your weight and your partners weight as stated, knowing how much the bags/brackets weigh, were you at all concerned about overloading? You state with the fork and rear shock preload were maxed out the FJ handled ok.
Whltuner yes two up and close to if not over the GLW fully loaded saddle bags and the partner who is 6' I can honestly say the bike with shock and fork setting all on max performed extremely well in fact it surprised me we did 800 od km and this was over mountain passes winding coast roads and some straight work average speed perhaps 110 km apart from a couple of wobbles after hitting bumps that shouldn't of been there LOL...any other bikes ive owned would of done the same I would suggest.My partner commented how comfortable and safe feeling the bike was and believe me yr pillions are the first to let you know otherwise.So in short provided you and yrs are not going to go crazy I have no doubts that the bike will handle you guys easily as it is one of the most enjoyable and well rounded bikes that I have ever ownedI have just clocked 12,500 kms since March no sign of any catastrophic failure in any of the frame fork shock components LOL.I am running a PR4 GT rear tyre which is suppost to be for extremely large and heavy tourers and have had no adverse problems with it and getting amazing millage out of it so far ,stunning tyres........ 8-)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
It's not that I am sensitive to Wessie's comments, it's that I was (am) looking for feedback from others who have similar concerns with exceeding the weight limit. Not to be told to buy a Goldwing or go on a diet. No hard feelings here.
In the aviation industry, we design with a 50% margin of error prior to failure. Not sure what the motorcycle manufacturers do, but I would imagine there is considerable margin on the 397 lbs. With that said, check the subframe metal for cracks periodically just in case. A better/stiffer suspension would also be a must me thinks.
Although ULEWZ, having done some gliding I would NEVER exceed weight limits on an aircraft - upset CoG at your own peril, it will turn out very badly very quickly. So, silly as Wessie's post sounded it was actually technically correct. The OP's load including luggage is considerably over the limit. No chance of it bending or breaking the bike. But it might affect handling adversely, and badly so. A Goldwing is not called for, but a FJR or possible a R1200GS might have been a better option. There is a reason why touring bikes are so heavy. Load carrying capacity is not only about the strength but also about how you will upset the CoG of the bike. Now, that factor is not nearly as important or as sensitive in a motorcycle as in an aircraft, so if he rides carefully he should have absolutely no problem. 
As for Wessie, he gives as good as he takes. Occasionally he is also funny. And if he learned how to use satnav he'd be a brilliant tour guide.

• Premium Member
As for Wessie, he gives as good as he takes. Occasionally he is also funny. And if he learned how to use satnav he'd be a brilliant tour guide.

You think it was unplanned? You got a tour of the wonderful medieval streets of Autun and a route over a narrow mountain pass all for no admission fee.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I would highly recommend a new rear shock and front fork springs sized for the combined weight. I can't say it will benefit the subframe in any way, but it should make the bike handle well for the weight. Have you contacted Yamaha and asked them?
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

"apart from a couple of wobbles from hitting bumps that should not have been there" is the only thing I need to read about overloading a motorcycle. Has anyone checked on the load rating of the tires? I could be wrong but overloading seems to be pushing the envelope somewhat. Will be great fun if everything turns out fine. Will be a fast happening disaster if it don't. Carry on......

I have just finished a 1300 km road trip around the south Island of New Zealand 2 up and fully loaded without any concerns with the bike at all it handled fast touring ,lots of windy hill passes and best of all my partner commented on how safe and comfortable she felt on the back through out the entire trip....regarding tyre loading I personally run PR4 GTs as my tyre of preference and as they are designed for large touring bikes find them very good for my style of 2 up riding and IMHO handle and perform as good if not better than standard PR4 ,looks like the tyre life is also going to be extremely good .The fuel consumption for the entire trip was also great averaging 19.2 km per litre.Over all I am so impressed with the all round abilities of this bike cannot  fault it I have just clocked over 10.000 ml since March of the last year.

Archived