Exceeding recommended load weight

2whltuner

I like many on here purchased the FJ to do some 2 up touring with our significant other. My concern here is the loading and weight carrying capabilities. The manual states max load at 397bs. We just weighed ourselves w/gear as well as the luggage and brackets.

So this is how it has panned out:

Me 225 lbs
Her 150 lbs
Factory Bags w/liners 35 lbs
Brackets 10 lbs
each bag can carry 22 lbs max x 2 for 44lbs

for a total of 464lbs max

Now with the 397lb "max weight"

I would like to here your opinions as to this "overloaded" condition, handling vs safety
At this weight (464lbs) puts me 67lbs over max.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I realize that I will need upgraded suspension components properly set up will work without issues, my main concern here was about stress on the subframe and potential failure, which of course would be catastrophic if it happened at the most inopportune time.

Wessie, Yes I did ask for opinions, but really, buy a Goldwing, loose some weight, not exactly what I would have expected, that's the best you can come up with.

beameer, when you rode two-up on your FJ for your 3 day trip, you stated you had the factory saddlebags and that they were packed with your gear. Based on your weight and your partners weight as stated, knowing how much the bags/brackets weigh, were you at all concerned about overloading? You state with the fork and rear shock preload were maxed out the FJ handled ok.

• Premium Member
I realize that I will need upgraded suspension components properly set up will work without issues, my main concern here was about stress on the subframe and potential failure, which of course would be catastrophic if it happened at the most inopportune time. 
Wessie, Yes I did ask for opinions, but really, buy a Goldwing, loose some weight, not exactly what I would have expected, that's the best you can come up with.

beameer, when you rode two-up on your FJ for your 3 day trip, you stated you had the factory saddlebags and that they were packed with your gear. Based on your weight and your partners weight as stated, knowing how much the bags/brackets weigh, were you at all concerned about overloading? You state with the fork and rear shock preload were maxed out the FJ handled ok.
Maximum Load*397 lbs for all except the California bikes, 395 lbs for California bikes . *Total weight of rider, passenger, cargo, and accessories. 
Stay within these clearly defined limits and you should be fine.

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
No, that's not my best. I can step up the sarcasm and piss taking if you would like. I think you are too sensitive a flower to take it though.

Just keep checking the welds on your frame and invest in a few wheel bearings as they will almost certainly be on back order.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

No, that's not my best. I can step up the sarcasm and piss taking if you would like. I think you are too sensitive a flower to take it though.  
Just keep checking the welds on your frame and invest in a few wheel bearings as they will almost certainly be on back order.

May fall in the category of 'Don't Drink and Post'...definitely totally inappropriate and worthy of censure! 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• Premium Member
I've seen whole families and some livestock in India on little micro motorbikes, I doubt they were checking the maximum load of their bikes in the manual and weighing the goats.

Impending doom would hopefully show signs with metal actually bending from the weight and fatigue before actual total failure at speed but recommendations are usually at the low end in order to have a safety margin that is much higher then what a reasonable person would be expected to load on here.

The limits are probably mostly suspension related so if that is upgraded then handling ills with lots of weight is eliminated.

The subframe was beefed up from the FZ in anticipation of cargo and passengers it should be ok until you start overloading it and going to Mongolia via Siberia, then you may find the limits, or maybe not who knows?

But yeah to be within 60lbs of the printed limit, you really should be fine. It's like overloading a pick up truck, it can handle it, but it may not look pretty if the back is sagging and if it had to stop from 60mph I wouldn't want to be in its way but mostly it'll get the overload there just fine but I wouldn't want to do it every day without suspension upgrades.

@2whltuner, I have split your question, and the pertinent replies into a new thread where hopefully there'll be more opinions expressed on this.

May fall in the category of 'Don't Drink and Post'...definitely totally inappropriate and worthy of censure!
Noted, I'm not going to delete the posts though, they can be reported and further action taken if need be. 

@2whltuner, I have split your question, and the pertinent replies into a new thread where hopefully there'll be more opinions expressed on this. 

Noted, I'm not going to delete the posts though, they can be reported and further action taken if need be. 

As a large man myself, much larger than the OP, I was in no way offended.  I rolled my eyes and thought, "that's @wessie for you", but I wasn't offended.  I hope we don't get the mentality of "everyone gets a trophy" around here.  We are adults.  Adults should be able to take a little ribbing every once in a while.  Of course there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, but I really don't think this alone crossed it.  

• Premium Member
  I rolled my eyes and thought, "that's @wessie for you", but I wasn't offended.  I hope we don't get the mentality of "everyone gets a trophy" around here.  We are adults.  Adults should be able to take a little ribbing every once in a while.  Of course there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, but I really don't think this alone crossed it.  
....lines crossed? Not even close!   Wessy, like life is....messy....sometimes given to fits of sarcasm that should be taken lightly. 

Sarcasm is rarely imparted correctly via the interwebs...God help us if at our age(s) we are sliding into the PC/Safe Space/Perpetually Offended culture of the current generation that inhabits our college/indoctrination camps...back to your question...I think the FJ will be fine with you and your significant other on it. The ratings put on the bikes are vetted by the legal and engineering staff at most large companies. There is a safety margin built in to these ratings. You will be riding in that safety margin and the ride may not be as plush as your desire. At a minimum I would encourage a rear shock upgrade. There are many options out there in the sub $700 range that will give you the comfort and stability that you desire when properly sprung. And a comfortable trip will be of utmost importance when riding any distance with the SO in the navigation officers seat.

Archived