The 12 step how to: replace FJ-09 oil pan

com3

Yes, nice write up and thanks for motivating me to get the oil pan and drain plug mod done.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
Good write up. I cracked the pan on a speed bump yesterday. I will be replacing oil pan as soon as it arrives. A couple of questions. Will the exhaust rotate if you use the center stand? Did you use a new pan gasket? Is gasket sealer required?

• 3 weeks later...
Good write up. I cracked the pan on a speed bump yesterday. I will be replacing oil pan as soon as it arrives. A couple of questions. Will the exhaust rotate if you use the center stand? Did you use a new pan gasket? Is gasket sealer required?

Yeah, center stand works. My old gasket came off in mint condition. I reused it.

• Premium Member
I wrote this the other day... Maybe you guys can help spread the word?  
http://4theriders.com/blog/an-open-letter-to-yamaha/
Well written.  All for naught though, as if Yamaha would so much as acknowledge reading it they would open themselves for lawsuits and recalls.  I predict they will continue to quietly ignore the issue, and I will order the new oil pan and gasket and change it myself.

VERY funny, and informative, how-to, you really have a way with words!! The part about substituting Simple Green for water for plants had me laughing out loud. My ex-wife (landscape designer) would have been *horrified* to read that, heh, heh!!
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Here is a post that I made to 4TheRiders.com:

>> One more comment, if I may? I can tell you that filing a complaint with the US’s NHTSA can and does result in restitution being made to owners of faulty vehicles.

I recently received a letter from Mazda (after I joined in on such a complaint about the Mazda 3’s “sticky dash” syndrome) that they were going to replace my entire dash for free. This costs, at least, over $1,000 worth of parts and labor. And we’re not talking about something nearly as serious as having your bike and tires covered in oil while at speed….

I suggest that ALL owners of the defective FJ-09s post such a complaint to the NHTSA. Who knows, maybe Yamaha will be a little more charitable once Uncle Sam gets on their case?!

NHTSA Link:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/  <<

How about it fellas, are you willing to spend 10 minutes in an effort to get this most serious issue handled properly??
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Somebody should write a good condensed letter and post it. Someone with skill in doing this kind of letter writing.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Here is a post that I made to 4TheRiders.com: 
>> One more comment, if I may? I can tell you that filing a complaint with the US’s NHTSA can and does result in restitution being made to owners of faulty vehicles.

I recently received a letter from Mazda (after I joined in on such a complaint about the Mazda 3’s “sticky dash” syndrome) that they were going to replace my entire dash for free. This costs, at least, over $1,000 worth of parts and labor. And we’re not talking about something nearly as serious as having your bike and tires covered in oil while at speed….

I suggest that ALL owners of the defective FJ-09s post such a complaint to the NHTSA. Who knows, maybe Yamaha will be a little more charitable once Uncle Sam gets on their case?!

NHTSA Link:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/  <<

How about it fellas, are you willing to spend 10 minutes in an effort to get this most serious issue handled properly??
Would it not be easier to seek redress from the authority that failed to maintain the road?

>> Would it not be easier to seek redress from the authority that failed to maintain the road? <<

Good luck with that. I believe Yamaha is the culpable party here, and it seems they do, too, since they completely repositioned the drain bolt on the new ones...
-CD-

• 1 month later...