Engine temp question

fp54

• Premium Member
Just test rode a new FJ-09 and will probably purchase. When I test rode it, about 15miles I never saw water temp above 160F. Seemed a little cool to me. Is that normal? Thanks in advance.
Yes, it has a 160F thermostat. Kind of stays there on winter rides. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Mine sits at 157f in the winter... Kinda makes me want to duct tape about 15% of the radiator off to get the temp into the 180s. Haha

Soon you'll be asking if 224 F is normal in the summer in stop and go traffic before the fan turns on....  ;)
I have my ECU flashed to turn on the fan at 210, and off at 200 F.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Mine sits at 157f in the winter... Kinda makes me want to duct tape about 15% of the radiator off to get the temp into the 180s. Haha
Soon you'll be asking if 224 F is normal in the summer in stop and go traffic before the fan turns on....  ;) I have my ECU flashed to turn on the fan at 210, and off at 200 F.

Ty

haha!  yeah, the bike gets hot quick...and it's annoying that the fans don't come on until 220, that's for sure.  pretty much all of my riding is in california tho...we can lane split there. no need to stop when traffic stops. :)

• 2 weeks later...
It is winter here in the PNW and my bike sits around 157F to 158F. It is very quick to heat up to fan temp just idling while stationary - probably why there is a 20min idle shutoff also.

It has an idle shut off?

It is winter here in the PNW and my bike sits around 157F to 158F. It is very quick to heat up to fan temp just idling while stationary - probably why there is a 20min idle shutoff also.
It has an idle shut off?
Per the Manual (I would recommend reading front to back there is tons of info) page 6-1 
This Model is Equipped with:
.an engine auto-stop system. The engine stops automatically if left idling for 20 minutes. If the engine stops, simply push the start switch to restart engine.

• 4 weeks later...
Soon you'll be asking if 224 F is normal in the summer in stop and go traffic before the fan turns on....  ;) I have my ECU flashed to turn on the fan at 210, and off at 200 F.

Ty

I was stopped in traffic for the first time today (was in Seattle rush hour). Even at only 57 out I was very quickly seeing temps over 220.  Didn't hear the fan turn on. 
What is the max temp anyone has seen in traffic on their fj09?  At what temp does the fan turn on (and off) before reflashing?  224?  I can't find that spec anywhere.

What is the max temp anyone has seen in traffic on their fj09?  At what temp does the fan turn on (and off) before reflashing?  224?  I can't find that spec anywhere. 

I have seen mine as high as 226*F 
As for the fans on/off temps, I've got no clue. 

I was stopped in traffic for the first time today (was in Seattle rush hour). Even at only 57 out I was very quickly seeing temps over 220.  Didn't hear the fan turn on. 

Mine was 221 on and I think 215-210 off. Wasn't comfortable with it. Flashed during the holidays and now it stays cooler. 200 ish I think and fans come on. The engine heats up quickly without airflow so get her flashed. Solves lots of things and runs much better IMO.   
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Archived