Graves Air Injection Blockoff Plates

• Premium Member
Those of you who have installed aftermarket exhausts may have experienced popping and spitting from the exhaust.  This is caused by the air injection system that helps with emissions by injecting fresh air into the exhaust ports to help burn any unburned fuel as it is scavenged from the exhaust port.  That system works fine with the stock exhaust and its catalytic converter, but results in this popping and spitting with aftermarket exhaust.

Having your ECU reflashed by someone like 2WheelDynoWorks helps, but even they recommend removal of the air injection system.  Graves Motorsports, same folks who make the superb exhaust system I have installed on my bike, also makes a set of aluminum blockoff plates and an airbox cap to allow you to remove the air injection system.  I installed it today.

Kind of a PITA to install it, as you have to remove the gas tank and the airbox, and remove the radiator from its mounts (but you don't have to break the coolant integrity, just move the radiator forward and down while the hoses are still connected).

This is the crap that gets removed from the bike:

blockoff-plates.jpg

This is what it looks like with that stuff gone and the plates installed:

blockoff-plates-2.jpg

Sure does help to clean up the mess under there, making any future work like checking the valves easier.  My ECU is supposed to arrive back from 2WDW today so I should be able to reinstall it and test it.

PS: Looking at the pictures, the two plates don't really match each other, like one of them was designed for a different bike.  No matter, just funny that the bevel is different, the logo engraving is different, and the finish (one brushed, one tumbled) is different.  Sure won't affect the way they work and aside from this picture, nobody will ever see them again.

The ECU flash shuts off the AIS pump. There's no need to install block off plates except for weight savings. Also I havent pulled mine off yet, but on the plate with the reed valves, there might be a rubber gasket that creates the seal. You will want to keep those underneath the block off plates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
what happens if you just unplug the AIS?
The ECU registers the fault and brings on the check engine light.

Ok when you use the block off plates and remove the AIS, does the check engine light come on? If so, what must be done to turn it off?

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
The ECU registers the fault and brings on the check engine light.
Ok when you use the block off plates and remove the AIS, does the check engine light come on? If so, what must be done to turn it off?
ECU reflash from 2WDynoworks disables AIS electronically and there's no need to use block off plates. Simple, effective, done.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

ECU reflash from 2WDynoworks disables AIS electronically and there's no need to use block off plates. Simple, effective, done.
True, but that's not what he was asking.........  :P

It is not possible to turn off the check engine light on the standard ECU, as you are creating a genuine fault when you unplug the AIS.  

I have seen some resistor plugs that are designed to emulate the AIS connection, and plug into the loom.

Or, you can get the ECU flashed........  (rofl)

• Premium Member
You can also install the block off plates, remove all the plumbing except the actuator that plugs into the harness. If you leave it plugged in, the ECM thinks it's still there and operating.  
Skip

so you could skip the block offs plates and just plug up what the AIS connects to.

Let’s go Brandon

I haven't tried it on the FJ09, but other yamahas don't throw a code when you unplug them (lots of other bikes do though). So you can just yank it all out of there. If it DOES throw a code and you don't want to get your ecu flashed, you can just leave the solenoid under the airbox and still plugged in. Just don't connect any hoses to it so it will just pump air from the atmosphere to the atmosphere. Then you will still need block off plates and cap off the airbox.

Archived