How happy are you with the fj 09

So im in the market and this bike has really got
My attention been reading thru alot here on the forum and watching utube videos of reviews etc.
So now that you guys own them for some time
Are you happy with it or does it need too many upgrades
To get you to your happy place?
My biggest concern is suspension, im 6' 200lbs
Gonna do all back roads twistys and high way,
Power we know non issue any of you 6' guys hows that shield work for you?
I know there other options just wondering if its hitting you in the face as is?
Sorry for the long post
But mainly would you still buy it now knowing what you know?
Thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I would definitely buy the FJ-09 again.

If your biggest concern is the suspension, then you may be disappointed to get a suspension that is adequate for the price, but by no means spectacular.

My biggest concern was weight, comfort, and power. So I have upgraded the seat and the windscreen to improve the comfort. I am delighted by the light weight and the ample power. I ride this bike every chance I get, much more often than previous bikes. Like others have said, it gives miles of smiles.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
So im in the market and this bike has really got My attention been reading thru alot here on the forum and watching utube videos of reviews etc.
So now that you guys own them for some time
Are you happy with it or does it need too many upgrades
To get you to your happy place?
My biggest concern is suspension, im 6' 200lbs
Gonna do all back roads twistys and high way,
Power we know non issue any of you 6' guys hows that shield work for you?
I know there other options just wondering if its hitting you in the face as is?
Sorry for the long post
But mainly would you still buy it now knowing what you know?
Thanks

I won't short circuit your impending research task by giving everything away that I've learned here, and that is considerable. First, go to the  "recent threads" up on the task bar at the top of the page, and click on it. Check out the upgrades and reviews that might interest you. Most of us start with the windscreen-some like the stocker, most don't. There are plenty of choices, and plenty of opinions to check out. Then, on to the saddle, same as above. I am very happy with the bike, but my happy place resides between my ears. I relish trying various upgrades, it's just interesting to me. I've never owned a "perfect" bike. They are like life, a process of continuous change. It helps if we know a little bit more about you than height and weight. Pants inseam helps. I'm 6'4" and weigh 250 with a 32" inseam. Suspension is very important to me, and I went with Traxxion Dynamics. I'm very happy with it, and I don't mind spending money on suspension. I also tried a CalSci large screen, which didn't work for me, and settled on a Madstad 22" screen which is a delight. I tried the Seat Concepts saddle, and sold it and went with the Corbin, which I am also delighted with.
I would buy it again in a heartbeat, and if I knew then what I do now, I could have gotten it to where it is now in a matter of weeks.
Get out there and ride it like you stole it....have a blast!

• Premium Member
Absolutely I would buy again. This bike is an adsolute ball in the twisties. Goes like stink bone stock. Handles well and is light. Is the suspension perfect? No, but I don't have a problem with it and will deal with it down the road. Not many bikes are perfect out of the box. FJ is no different. For ME, the seat sucked. Had a Lamm built. The windshield was noisy and ineffective. 2 Cal Sci shields. 1 high, 1 low. Much better. All in all, a very nice machine. I've farkled the daylights out of it and like it as much as my farkled FJR. NO buyers remorse. Buy one. Have a ball!
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

Its a good bike. Would I buy again... no.
I put way to much money to get it almost where I want it.
You will need to upgrade the suspension for sure. Especially if you are caring a passenger and bags. I would say go test ride one and a couple other bikes that you are looking at and see which one suits you.

The one really good thing about the fj is that it is very flickable.

I just don't understand the constant complaints about the suspension. I am 6'1 and 260 lbs and think that the mid setting that it came set at is not bad at all. My old bike had a shit suspension stock and this is worlds better. No it isn't a R1M but a bigger guy isn't going to bottom it out or have issues of not enough adjustment.

Thanks for the replies, I'd love to test drive one but not allowed up here 
the other bike I was interested in was the super tenere Es and it sounds really good but It seems you would have to shift a lot more just to keep up with an fj and probably not as nimble in the corners and for me that's where all the fun is really, although Maybe I'm wrong
i think that triple is hard to pass up! Especially at its price! 

• Premium Member
Very happy with mine. Use it almost daily to commute. Very comfortable, good ergos, good power. The front end needs some love as the bike doesn't track well in corners, but then again my other bikes are a 2012 KTM Rc8R and a '03 Yamaha R6 :)  so I might be expecting a bit much out of it.

Over all, it's the perfect commuting/touring/weekend warrior bike

• Premium Member
I just don't understand the constant complaints about the suspension. I am 6'1 and 260 lbs and think that the mid setting that it came set at is not bad at all. My old bike had a shet suspension stock and this is worlds better. No it isn't a R1M but a bigger guy isn't going to bottom it out or have issues of not enough adjustment.
Yeah, I agree. I softened up the pre-load and it took away the harshness very nicely. Having attended 30+ track days in my life, I do understand the shortcomings of the OEM suspension but for touring and PACE riding through the NC/VA/WV mountains, it's works wonderfully for me. I'm 6' 175lbs. 
Test ride...period. I know it can be difficult finding one, but it's essential when buying any bike! Be patient and arrange for one. Where are you located? Maybe one of the forum members can help out. 

Also, this bike transforms and softens quite a bit after 2000 miles. Engine is smoother, suspension more compliant and shifting smoother. 

No regrets here!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I just don't understand the constant complaints about the suspension. I am 6'1 and 260 lbs and think that the mid setting that it came set at is not bad at all. My old bike had a shet suspension stock and this is worlds better. No it isn't a R1M but a bigger guy isn't going to bottom it out or have issues of not enough adjustment.
Yeah, I agree. I softened up the pre-load and it took away the harshness very nicely. Having attended 30+ track days in my life, I do understand the shortcomings of the OEM suspension but for touring and PACE riding through the NC/VA/WV mountains, it's works wonderfully for me. I'm 6' 175lbs. 
Test ride...period. I know it can be difficult finding one, but it's essential when buying any bike! Be patient and arrange for one. Where are you located? Maybe one of the forum members can help out. 

Also, this bike transforms and softens quite a bit after 2000 miles. Engine is smoother, suspension more compliant and shifting smoother. 

No regrets here!

Boston area and every dealer around says no rides, I've had to buy all my bikes this way same with snow mobiles etc. can be an expensive way to live ,hence the re search!

• Premium Member
Thanks for the replies, I'd love to test drive one but not allowed up here  the other bike I was interested in was the super tenere Es and it sounds really good but It seems you would have to shift a lot more just to keep up with an fj and probably not as nibble in the corners and for me that's where all the fun is really, although Maybe I'm wrong
i think that triple is hard to pass up! Especially at its price! 
My last bike was a Super Tenere, current bike is an MT09 Tracer (UK name for FJ) 
You will not be disappointed by either bike.

In everyday riding they will both make adequate progress when riding in a group, even if that group has a K1600GT in it. 

I changed bikes as the reduced weight attracted me, plus my Super Tenere was 5 years old, so I fancied a change. I ride the Tracer more than any other bike I have owned, commuting 12 miles or riding across Continental Europe. It's a great all rounder and pretty fun to ride. The main mods I have made are screen, seat & luggage. I can live with the suspension, just miss the way the Super Tenere breezed over potholes. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member

Boston area and every dealer around says no rides, I've had to buy all my bikes this way same with snow mobiles etc. can be an expensive way to live ,hence the re search!
Looks like there are a couple of FJ-09.org riders in your area. One of them might be kind enough to allow a test ride.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1528942
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I would buy it again in a heart beat.
Really like this bike. I did upgrade the suspension with Traxxion, very expensive but it makes my FJ09 almost as good as my Ducati Multistrada that I just sold since the FJ09 fit my needs so well. I also bought a Versys 1000 2016 model and like it also. Read my review in the suspension section.
Also did the reflash of the ECU to get the throttle the way I wanted it.
It is an outstanding bike if you work on the short-comings. I did not need a new windscreen or seat.
I am 6'3" and 220 lbs and this bike has plenty of power for me.
There are cheaper suspension fixes around just read up and make your decision.
In short on a scale of one to 10 without any upgrades I gave it a solid 7. With the upgrades a solid 9.5.
RC

• Premium Member
I'm very happy with my FJ09. For Sport touring weekend getaways it's perfect for me. Great price point and after some accessories it's really a great bike for me. I'm glad about my decision to buy this model. I have a bike for off road. (Ural Gear-Up) so I'm covered in that dept. If I wanted a bike for off road and on road I would have bought the Super Tenere'. Sure the FJ09 could be accessorized for off road but that's not what I wanted in a new bike. A tool for every job. It's all good....
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived