Suspension Woes

kimmie

So I'm starting the install on the RaceTech front fork kit. Normally I pull off the fork cap to release the spring before pulling the fork tubes off the bike. Trying this on the left side, the cap doesn't spring off. So before I mess up here, does anyone have a step by step guide for fork disassembly they can post?

It sounds like you don't have experience with cartridge forks. I would suggest getting a service manual. The $90 will save you frustration and expensive mistakes. It will also explain where you will need special tools.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

Exactly. The forks I have worked on before were the old style. I ordered the manual and will have a go at it in a week or two. Still cold here in New England anyway. I also don't know what to expect in the left hand fork with no damping, but just the spring. Should be good to go with the manual.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We just got back from our riding holiday and while the bike was loaded up it was still unsettling.

We will be interested in how your Racetech setup goes bobaintstoppin.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

I have a brand new RT GV kit. It only fixes the one leg (Right). If you're adventurous I can ship you the parts for the left leg to make it useful (from factory it has zero damping ability).

@bobaintstoppin, you need a spring compressor. or a friend to be that extra set of hands.

Thanks Matt, I was wondering what advice or products you could offer for the most economical upgrade. The currency conversion and shipping to Australia is a killer for the budget conscious. Assuming that we will have to do the rear shock another time, what is your most economical fork fix going to cost, shipped to Sydney Australia?

BTW, I have a fork spring compressor. It would be great if you could include the cost for a pair of 0.8kg/mm straight rate springs (or different rate if you recommend for kim's weight and style, see original post)

well, the *most economical* would be to change as little as possible and maximize the benefits of what you do change. 0.85kg/mm seems perfectly reasonable but what are the current sag values - static and rider? Ideally I'd like to see them with the suspension set back to OE height or the forks pulled up no more than 10mm.

I can ship you a collection of shims and a replacement mid-valve piston for a suspension guy on your side of the lake to do the work (or DIY). It's like $50 in parts and weighs barely a couple ounces but freight was surprisingly high when I sent a similar package to the UK. Or I can send you a full kit to activate the left leg as well. That's ~120 and a small increase in shipping.

Sending springs over International post surely is not economical vs sourcing from a local supplier?

Thanks Matt, I usually get my springs sent from the US (Sonic or Racetech) but lately the rate of exchange/shipping is not good, so I will look locally (you would be surprised how they rip us off us here). About $120 USD plus shipping seems great for improving both legs, I have done shim and valve work before so I can DIY. Can you put an exact price together for us (both leg option) and PM me the details.

I am tending towards a 0.80kg spring rate. I have always found racetech's suggestions (0.85 in this case) a little firm for touring. I assume the valving would work OK with both spring rates?

I have a brand new RT GV kit. It only fixes the one leg (Right). If you're adventurous I can ship you the parts for the left leg to make it useful (from factory it has zero damping ability). 
@bobaintstoppin , you need a spring compressor. or a friend to be that extra set of hands.
Hi Matt, can you elaborate more on activating the dead leg? I thought I seen a thread here somewhere.. Send me a pm if you wish so I don't muddle up Kimmies thread, sorry Kim!

Thanks Matt, I usually get my springs sent from the US (Sonic or Racetech) but lately the rate of exchange/shipping is not good, so I will look locally (you would be surprised how they rip us off us here). About $120 USD plus shipping seems great for improving both legs, I have done shim and valve work before so I can DIY. Can you put an exact price together for us (both leg option) and PM me the details. 
I am tending towards a 0.80kg spring rate. I have always found racetech's suggestions (0.85 in this case) a little firm for touring. I assume the valving would work OK with both spring rates?

Teknik are good for springs too, they should be able to help you out.

Archived