Radiator Protectors

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Got mine on as well.  Was springing even more than the others appeared to be but also went on fine. 

It came with four (silicone?) bushings/spacers that I didn't see in any of the pictures online, which answered my own prior question about if there was enough room to clear some nuts between the guard and the radiator.  This let me mount some LED strips to it to replace my old ones.  

radiator_guard_-_Copy.jpg

lit_up_-_Copy.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
@mftic - Hard to tell for sure from the picture, but that looks wrong. The correct Evotech bolts directly to the radiator side mounts (without any additional brackets) and should have cutouts in the upper corners to access bodywork fasteners.

This is what the FJ specific part should look like: https://motostarz.com/collections/evotech-performance/products/evotech-performance-aluminium-radiator-guard-for-2015-2018-yamaha-fj09-mt09-tracer

• Supporting Member
@washufiddyfo Tell me about the LED strips you used. Funny, I was recently looking at doing the EXACT same thing, vertically on the radiator guard.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
@mftic Looking at mine, that is definitely not the correct piece. The hole pattern is not correct; that one has holes centered in the peaks on the side, and looks like is some sort of silver insert there, both inconsistent with what you should have received.  And as already mentioned, there are no other brackets required for our model, and you should have cutouts towards the top of each side.

• Premium Member
@betoney I used some generic cheap waterproof LED strips that I had around from an old project.  I don't have a link but if you search "COB LED strip waterproof" or something like that on your favorite shopping site you should find something suitable for this.  Looking at the box, these were 6 watts each, and measured about 5.5" long.  You could probably get away with longer if you mounted higher up. It didn't have a color temperature indicated, which is a minor annoyance as I would have preferred the color to more closely match the headlamps.  Maybe a warm white version would solve this, but it's not a big enough bother for me to change out at this point.  

As far as the install goes, I figured I'd experiment and see what would happen.  I'm sure there's a better way, but here's what I did.  I installed some nylon nuts through the mesh near the provided black spacers, and then used the dremel to cut off the excess screw and flatten/rough up the tops of the screws.  Idea for the nylon was just to minimize any heat transfer to the strips if that mattered, but also made it a lot easier to dremel. 

I then figured out where they would contact the adhesive on the LED strip, and scraped away the adhesive there.  I then used a bunch of black silicone as an adhesive and put some in the holes I just made, pressed into place.  The original idea was that this would just adhere the screws to the LED strip, and allow me to just unscrew them if they need to be replaced, but with everything out I just decided for good measure to spread a bunch of silicone through the mesh on the back all along the length of the light.  

For the wiring, they are spliced into the side blinker wiring on each side using positaps. I already had those there from the knuckleguard running/turning lights.  I tucked the wire behind the guard and ran up into the housing.  On the left side, I did put a tiny notch in the plastic to let it run right up. 

I think it's a great add on, provides a ton of visibility without blinding other drivers, and also illuminates the road right in front of you like a fog light would. 

Back

back.jpg

Front of guard, back of LED strip

nuts_and_scrapes.jpg

Lovely silicone work

back_with_silicone.jpg

Testing

testing.jpg

Left side wiring

left_side_wiring.jpg

Right side wiring

right_side_wiring.jpg