2015 or 2017?

• Premium Member
New here, and don't have an FJ-09 yet, but hoping to remedy that in the near future. I like the Candy Red found on the 2015 model, and can pick one up fairly cheap, but wondered if I should hold out for a new 2017. Can't seem to find any info on if there will be any changes to the next year, or what colors will be available.  Anyone know?
Rydah - by the 2015 in Red.  That saving's will buy a lot of the goodies/fixes that turn the FJ into a superb motorcycle.  If you like to work on motorcycles you can either fix the oil pan or install a new one for about $190 plus the gasket. Cheers

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am kind of in the same boat. I am looking at the fj-09 and I can get a 2015 red for $8500 or a black 2016 for $9500. And then there is s the new FZ10 that coming this summer that has peaked my interest. But it is more money, less mpg, in reality more power then needed for the street so I will still probably go for the FJ.

My current Suzuki DL-650 VStrom is shod with an Enduro Guardian skid plate that is so well built, I can lift the bike using an ATV lift under it. Doesn't look like either the SW Motech or Higdonion plates would be strong enough for that. Anyone know from experience?

Root, the price difference was at two different dealers that's why. Great advise from all; thanks! This is why I love forums, as it sure eliminates having to constantly reinvent the wheel. So I assume the front facing oil drain bolt was standard on the 2016s? Maybe I should wait for the 2017s to come out then, and pick up a 2016 leftover. I'm not in a big hurry... well, not true; I'm dying to get one of these things, lol.

I haven't done any more research on this so maybe I'm missing something, but I just performed the 600 mile service on my 2016 Matte Silver (Race Blu) FJ-09, and it has a downward-facing oil drain plug,  not side-facing. From the little reading I've done on this, it sounds this was a 2015-only feature that Yamaha corrected on all 2016s--not the case. 
Edit: I just read in another thread that stevesweets clarifies that "Some, but not all 2016s have a revised oil pan with the drain plug moved to the side instead of the bottom" so in answer to your question..,no, not standard on 2016s, probably just a mid-year upgrade.

Well, pulling the trigger on a grey, 2015 tomorrow. At $7,999, and nearby, I just couldn't pass it up. By the time stealership adds it all up, $9642 out the door. So what recalls if any have been issued on this bike? Anything I need to ask the them about before picking it up? Sure appreciate all the great input so far.

Well, pulling the trigger on a grey, 2015 tomorrow. At $7,999, and nearby, I just couldn't pass it up. By the time stealership adds it all up, $9642 out the door. So what recalls if any have been issued on this bike? Anything I need to ask the them about before picking it up? Sure appreciate all the great input so far.

They should install the new Cam Chain Tensioner. Check out this thread http://fj-09.org/thread/3832/bulletin-m2016-chain-tensioner-noise . My dealership did a search for any open recalls using my VIN number before I left the dealership. Only recall I know about is this one http://fj-09.org/thread/875/intent-recall-fj09-march-2015 .

Also, you may want to try to negotiate for the revised oil pan.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 1 month later...
I had a down payment on a Red 2015, local shop ran into an issue regarding a transmission recall that would postpone my delivery by 2 weeks. They priced matched a new silver with blue rims/stickers (Which is nicer than the red IMO). So the 2016 comes from the factory without the transmission issue, but it comes with the CCT issue and new oil pan. Anyhow, Ill post more when I take delivery tomorrow on the new FJ.

Transmission recall on 15?

The old vs New oil pan, should this really be a concern for the majority that won't be taking the fj09 offroad?

$7999 only tells part of the actual cost. The only way to compare prices is by knowing actual total cost to buyer NOT including taxes, registration and licensing.

• Premium Member
The old vs New oil pan, should this really be a concern for the majority that won't be taking the fj09 offroad?

You don't have to take it off-road for this to be a problem...http://fj-09.org/thread/2858/went-south-pretty-quickly-paperweight?page=1

See this thread: http://fj-09.org/thread/875/intent-recall-fj09-march-2015

You don't have to take it off-road for this to be a problem...http://fj-09.org/thread/2858/went-south-pretty-quickly-paperweight?page=1 

Thanks for the links. I just checked out the oil pan link and that guy is lucky! Im glad he and his girl were able to recover without falling.

However I really wonder how much they over loaded the bike? With the bags and two people sounds like it was a major suspension issue which in return caused the bike to drop so low to bottom out. The nice pictures of the bump in road makes the bump look pretty mild and under normal suspension load it shouldnt cause bottoming out. Crazy!

Thanks for the links. I just checked out the oil pan link and that guy is lucky! Im glad he and his girl were able to recover without falling. 
However I really wonder how much they over loaded the bike? With the bags and two people sounds like it was a major suspension issue which in return caused the bike to drop so low to bottom out. The nice pictures of the bump in road makes the bump look pretty mild and under normal suspension load it shouldnt cause bottoming out. Crazy!
Interesting to me that people are changing oil pans and adding steering dampers trying to band-aid poor suspension. Put some good suspension with proper springs on the bike and you won't need either the pan or the damper -and it becomes a splendid handling bike.
Keep Asheville weird!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is great info right now because the 2015's are at dealers for pretty low price. I need to get down on the floor and see if they are still like this.
I am looking at getting a 2015 myself. The lowest I've seem them for is $7,999 which is what they were going for in June of last year according to Rydah. Are you seeing them somewhere for less?

This is great info right now because the 2015's are at dealers for pretty low price. I need to get down on the floor and see if they are still like this.
I am looking at getting a 2015 myself. The lowest I've seem them for is $7,999 which is what they were going for in June of last year according to Rydah. Are you seeing them somewhere for less?
yeah, same here start at $7,999

because we have no sale tax I walked with my 2015 in december 2015 for $8999 OTD. I would absolutely not pay more than that for a 2015 now. If I was quoted $7999 my first question would be "OTD?" Now they might hem and haw about assembly and blah, blah, blah but the only thing I would let them add would be sales tax and state required licensing. Butt that's me. I walked on two stealerships that treid that shit on me. I then called to the next state over, got quoted that price and took an extra half hour ride to save $1k.

Ryday, I had a 2012 V STrom 650 with a nice bash plate. I bent the shit out of that plate rolling over rocks on the OBCDR, but never damaged the bike. Last summer my Higdonion cage supported the FJ over rocks while riding in the Canadian Rockies. I don't advise it but the only repercussions I had were some scratches on the bottom of the skid plate. Keep in mind the cage is bolted through the frame to your engine so thats a thought :)

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived