2015 or 2017?

New here, and don't have an FJ-09 yet, but hoping to remedy that in the near future. I like the Candy Red found on the 2015 model, and can pick one up fairly cheap, but wondered if I should hold out for a new 2017. Can't seem to find any info on if there will be any changes to the next year, or what colors will be available.  Anyone know?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 2016 model wasn't announced until October last year, so you have another 4 months to wait until you hear of the differences in the 2017 model. Likely the only differences you will see are bold new graphics.

The biggest change for 2016 model was the oil change bolt location.

What is the price on the 2015? We can tell if it is what others are paying.

2016 announcement day: http://fj-09.org/thread/2441/2016-fj-09-announced

• Premium Member
I'm a firm believer that if the stars are in your favor and you have the dough, just get the bike and don't wait. Things come up in life that seem to get in the way of luxury items. If there was anything to change on the 2015 would be. Make sure the recall was done. Put on the front facing oil drain bolt oil pan. And put on the Adventure tech mirror extenders. JMHO... If you can get a smoking deal on the 2015 go for it. MSRP on mine was $10,459. U.S. if you can do much better than that go for it!!!
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Rocky, price on the 2015 are $8K for a grey, or $8.5K for a red. I prefer the red, but not sure if it's worth $500 more. What's the best you've seen so far?

Martyl, how do I get a "front facing oil drain bolt oil pan"? Purchase from Yamaha? Is it worth it?

• Premium Member
The improved oil pan can be ordered from Yamaha. If it was me I'd make it part of the deal. And have them install it. The part number is on this forum with a write up on installation. Others with the bottom oil drain bolt pan got the flat plug from a Mazda 6 and ground down the fin in front of the drain bolt. My plan is to get the new oil pan and have my dealer install it sometime in the future. I'm also getting the heated grips and Dzell brand led lights that go on the hand guards. .
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Rocky, price on the 2015 are $8K for a grey, or $8.5K for a red. I prefer the red, but not sure if it's worth $500 more. What's the best you've seen so far? 
Martyl, how do I get a "front facing oil drain bolt oil pan"? Purchase from Yamaha? Is it worth it?

There is no reason the red should be more.  There was no price difference in the MSRP that I am aware of between the colors.  This looks to me like a dealer that thinks he can get $500 more out of a "Ferrari red" paint job.  Maybe he sold more of the red over the past year so figures the demand is higher.  Who knows.  The oil pan you would purchase from a Yamaha dealer.  Is it worth it?  I am still asking myself that question.  It hasn't caused me a problem yet, but if it does cause me a problem, it has the potential to be a big problem.  It's a lower occurrence, higher severity type problem.  You can lower the risk of occurrence by avoiding pot holes, rough roads and curbs or getting the new oil pan.  I don't ride on rough enough roads to worry that much about it but I do wish I had the new pan regardless.  Some more outspoken members feel it should be a safety recall.  I personally am on the fence on that stance.

Root, the price difference was at two different dealers that's why.
Great advise from all; thanks! This is why I love forums, as it sure eliminates having to constantly reinvent the wheel. So I assume the front facing oil drain bolt was standard on the 2016s? Maybe I should wait for the 2017s to come out then, and pick up a 2016 leftover. I'm not in a big hurry... well, not true; I'm dying to get one of these things, lol.

You could also go the route of a SW Motech or Higdonion cage to protect the bottom of the motor and oil pan. This would be highly recommended if any off-roading is in your future.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I just installed the Mazda FS50-21-249 drain plug at my 8000 mile oil change. I ground the fin off a few months ago so now I have more ground clearance. That mod has got to be easier than replacing the oil pan. Now my FJ is up to current 2016 specs, but in the faster red color.  :)

I wonder if they will add Cruise control?
It would be silly not to. Yamaha needs to upgrade something in the third year for marketing. The XSR900 has cruise so it should be a drop-in upgrade.  
If that is all they change for 2017 then my FJ will be at 2017 specs!  8-)

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Maybe I'm not picturing it...wouldn't the fin protect the oil pan? Why get rid of it?

That was probably the thought of the engineers at Yamaha, however in placing the fin on the bottom of the oil pan it made the fin/oil pan the lowest point on the bike. Therefore, if you bottom out on a curb or pot hole with any significant force, the fin takes all of the force and busts a hole in the oil pan..

Here is an example of this issue.... http://fj-09.org/thread/2858/went-south-pretty-quickly-paperweight?page=1 . Others have reported similar incidents.

The revised oil pan does not have the fin and moves the drain plug to the side of the pan making the exhaust the lowest part of the bike.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived