2015 or 2017?

I've had good luck using this technique: Decide on a fair price you're willing to pay, and walk into the dealer with a bank check made out to them for that amount. Plunk it down with a polite, but firm "take it or leave it" position. They'll piss and moan about their 'fees', but if you hold fast they'll take it every time.
Keep Asheville weird!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
I've had good luck using this technique: Decide on a fair price you're willing to pay, and walk into the dealer with a bank check made out to them for that amount. Plunk it down with a polite, but firm "take it or leave it" position. They'll piss and moan about their 'fees', but if you hold fast they'll take it every time.
I basically did the same thing.  When they wrote up their sales sheet with all of the taxes and fees, I pointed to the bottom of the form in the total spot and said as long as that number is "X Amount" all of the other numbers on the form can be anything you want them to be. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all. New potential owner here. Found this thread trying to answer the same question about the differences are from 2015 to current model. Although finding an FJ09 at all has been a challenge in my area. I went to a decent sized sports center and they told me they didn't have one, and had no plans to order one...not a model they stock. Another dealer (Yamaha specific dealer) said they would be receiving a black 2016 today or tomorrow. I would dig a blacked out version...I'm done with chrome lol. I just emailed another dealer who supposedly has a red 2015. Not really my color but it seems dark enough to be okay and if its a lot less $$$ that's even more okay.

Really all I've seen mentioned is the oil pan changes in this thread. What other differences are there? I thought the 2017 had a assist and slipper clutch and something else or do they all have this?

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with a 2015 model, only a handful of ppl had issues with the drain plug due to hitting curbs, going off road, speed bombing speed bumps, etc... midway in 2016 they put the drain plug on the side of the oil pan...2017 has a few extra things namely slip/assist clutch and they now have 3 modes of Traction Control instead of 1...no you cannot put a 2017 ECU into a pre 2017 bike to get 3 modes of TC but you can add the slip/assist clutch to the pre 2017 bikes for about $250 in parts i believed and a few hours of your time...I personally see no need for 3 modes of TC and the whole clutch slip/assist is a tad overkill...

I have the red bike, the color is towards a darker hue of red than actual red red color... Im kinda jealous 2017 gets white plastics ? 
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
The shop with the black 2016 FJ posted the price today online at $9,095 not sure where that is in the spectrum. Still hoping to hear back from the shop with the red 2015 but color wise black would be my choice.
Have you checked cycletrader.com to compare prices in your region?  A lot of online dealers offer shipping as well.  I have purchased a few bikes online from out of state dealers and had them shipped.  Or, if you find a smoking deal out of state, you can plan a Fly-and-ride.  The ride home is a perfect way to get acquainted with your new bike. 

If you buy in one state then register in another. How does the tax tag and title part work. I,m blessed to have a great local Yamaha dealer, but my brother is buying another BMW soon and likes a dealer in another state. I'm in Florida and I think you have to pay taxes on the cost of your vehicle when you first register it.
 I hope this doesn't turn out to be a stupid question.

• Supporting Member
If you buy in one state then register in another. How does the tax tag and title part work.
When you register the bike, you simply pay YOUR state taxes and registration fees. 

Archived