Seat Upgrades that don't break the bank?

New FJ owner here.  

There are only two things about the bike that I'm less than thrilled with:

1.  The tail light/turn signal mount, which is easily and economically remedied with a fender eliminator.

2.  The seat.  I've read several threads here and elsewhere and all the documented solutions are $400 and up, sometimes WAY up.  That absolutely is not going to happen on my budget.

Has anybody come up with something closer to $200 that works reasonably well?  Cover?  Pad?  Rebuild?  I'd be sending it out, I absolutely suck at upholstery.

I don't need an ironbutt 600 mile a day solution, but it would be nice to be able to do 150-200 miles without walking like a duck for the next three days.

• Premium Member
Lots of conversation about seats on the board, you can start searching for information. The two that seem to be discussed most frequently are the Corbin and the Sargent and both are over $400. I do remember folks talking about modifying their stock seats, so I'm sure you can find something by searching around.

I recently picked up a 'Beadrider'. Starting a cross country trip next week, so I'll post some impressions when I return.

Initially, it does seem to distribute the weight over the surface of the seat a little better.

I recently picked up a 'Beadrider'. Starting a cross country trip next week, so I'll post some impressions when I return. 
Initially, it does seem to distribute the weight over the surface of the seat a little better.
Looking forward to the ride report.

I've never used one, but I have seen several mentions of an Airhawk seat pad. I believe they are less than $200.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I have been using Air Hawkes for years. They work great until they develop a leak. If I am going on short rides, I pull the air cushion out and put foam in the cover. I think the prices have come down.

Currently running a combo of the Cal Sci memory foam seat mod: 
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Seats.html

And size M Alaska Leather sheepskin:

https://alaskaleather.com/collections/sheepskin-buttpads

Cost effective, comfortable!
You did the "Modify your stock seat" with the Tempur foam? A single 6" x 4" piece?

Yes, to rider and passenger seat, best bang for buck mod I've ever done to a motorcycle. Be sure to buy your foam from Cal Sci, don't ask me how I know...

I recommend the Seat Concepts recover. It has a more bucket shaped foam piece that supports more of your butt than the stock seat. And I think it is a firmer type foam. I've had it on for about 5000 miles now and still quite happy with it. Recently rode about 500 miles over two days and no complaints. The stock seat always had me cussing after 50 miles.

With the Seat Concepts seat, I wouldn't hesitate to take on multiple 300+ mile consecutive days.

As far as installation it isn't that hard to DIY once you buy the staple gun. But for $20 you can have Seat Concepts do the install. I'd do that next time.

Archived