Power draw question...

joeszup

• Premium Member
Keep in mind I know just enough about electricity to not electrocute myself.  With that said, I just installed the OEM heated grips on my FJ.  According to my handy multimeter, the charging system pushes 14.3V, while the battery is a 12V.  So that means there is enough charge to run the bike and ... how much more?  With the heated grips, whats the power draw?  Can I add a heated seat too?

• Premium Member
It's not so much about volts as it is about amps. I don't know what the FJ's output is, but if you can find out what it is, subtract the draw form your lights and accessories form the output of the stator and you'll have your answer.

• Premium Member
the stator output is 415 watts

how much current does the your proposed heated seat use?

Sargent say 46 watts per seat so my guess would be it will be okay, especially if you use a heat controller so the heating element is not often drawing full power

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
the stator output is 415 watts 
how much current does the your proposed heated seat use?

Sargent say 46 watts per seat so my guess would be it will be okay, especially if you use a heat controller so the heating element is not often drawing full power

I'm curious, did you find that in the manual or did you measure it with your multimeter?  

Brief write up on calculating excess electrical capacity: http://www.powerlet.com/learningCenter/excessCapacity

Excellent info! Reading that right now.

• Premium Member
Stator output figure is from the factory workshop manual. Sargent website provides the spec. of their seat heaters.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Stator output figure is from the factory workshop manual. Sargent website provides the spec. of their seat heaters.
I've got the manual, why the heck can't I find it?  What page?
I'm guessing you're looking in the owners manual.  He's referring to the service manual used by technicians to work on the bike.  Some of us were able to procure it, but it's not something that comes with the bike.

• Premium Member
I've got the manual, why the heck can't I find it?  What page?
I'm guessing you're looking in the owners manual.  He's referring to the service manual used by technicians to work on the bike.  Some of us were able to procure it, but it's not something that comes with the bike.
Yup, but I must be missing it.  I'm looking in Section 8, specifically 8-128 and Checking The Stator Coil.  I find the coil resistance, but don't see stator output.  Or is that a calculated value?

GtmvimB.jpg

• Premium Member
AC magneto
Standard output 14.0 V, 415 W@5000 r/min
Stator coil resistance 0.152–0.228 (W-W)
Rectifier/regulator
Regulator type Semi conductor-short circuit
Regulated voltage (DC) 14.3–14.7 V
Rectifier capacity 50.0 A
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived