Mounts for OEM side bags

Hi guys, 

I'm gonna buy an 09 this weekend and I wanted to know if there's any additional optional parts necessary to mount the optional sidebags.  The dealer agreed to throw in the sidebags but I don't want them to buy the bike and then discover its and additional $500 for the mounts for the sidebags...

thanks!

• Premium Member
Hi guys,  
I'm gonna buy an 09 this weekend and I wanted to know if there's any additional optional parts necessary to mount the optional sidebags.  The dealer agreed to throw in the sidebags but I don't want them to buy the bike and then discover its and additional $500 for the mounts for the sidebags...

thanks!
You also need the "dog bone" mounts and also locks, not included. Check out this link for required items (on the right side of the page): linky 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

thanks guys. kinda shitty how Yamaha nickels and dimes on that stuff, especially since they're optional to begin with.

also @ULEWZ, since you're also in LA, do you have any experience dealing with either Bert's or Del Amo? Del Amo OC is offering the 2016 for $7999 sticker and burts has the same sticker on a 2015. I'm gonna head down to Del Amo first because i like the silver/blue better than the dark red but if they give me a hard time I might go back to bert's. 

• Premium Member
thanks guys. kinda shetty how Yamaha nickels and dimes on that stuff, especially since they're optional to begin with. 
also @ulewz , since you're also in LA, do you have any experience dealing with either Bert's or Del Amo? Del Amo OC is offering the 2016 for $7999 sticker and burts has the same sticker on a 2015. I'm gonna head down to Del Amo first because i like the silver/blue better than the dark red but if they give me a hard time I might go back to bert's. 
Both huge deales, both suck IMO (Bert's is the worst). high pressure, bait and switch, tremendous fees for paperwork, shipping, assembly etc... I am in the valley, so I went the extra distance to Simi Yamaha. Could also have gone to Wheels in Motion Yamaha, but they are not open on Saturdays.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Highly doubt they are going to throw in $1000 option. But make sure before you sign anything you read the "due bill" and get a printout of the parts. Should be 4-5 parts. 2 side bags. 1 lock kit. and 1 or 2 bracket kit(s). And add about $2-3g to that $7999 price.

thanks guys. kinda shetty how Yamaha nickels and dimes on that stuff, especially since they're optional to begin with. 
also @ulewz , since you're also in LA, do you have any experience dealing with either Bert's or Del Amo? Del Amo OC is offering the 2016 for $7999 sticker and burts has the same sticker on a 2015. I'm gonna head down to Del Amo first because i like the silver/blue better than the dark red but if they give me a hard time I might go back to bert's. 
Both huge deales, both suck IMO (Bert's is the worst). high pressure, bait and switch, tremendous fees for paperwork, shipping, assembly etc... I am in the valley, so I went the extra distance to Simi Yamaha. Could also have gone to Wheels in Motion Yamaha, but they are not open on Saturdays.

Bert's is very high pressure! My previous bike was a 2013 BMW GS that went into a tank slapper and through me off breaking my right femur and wrist. While negotiating price the salesman insinuated that i was afraid to get back on a bike! I did end up getting a good deal that rivaled my friends but be prepared to haggle!

Highly doubt they are going to throw in $1000 option. But make sure before you sign anything you read the "due bill" and get a printout of the parts. Should be 4-5 parts. 2 side bags. 1 lock kit. and 1 or 2 bracket kit(s). And add about $2-3g to that $7999 price.
Indeed, every one of you was correct about everything you said lol.  The hard bags are $1000 (oh, uh, we meant the soft OEM bags...), the Bert's guys were a lot shittier than the Del Amo guys but I did end up getting a decent deal on a 2016 since they sold the 2015s a few hours before I got there (TIL: don't wait til Saturday to pull the trigger on that bike sale...).  OTD price was 10,900 no bags.  In hindsight, I would have driven to North County to save $1000 on a 2015, but the added conspicuousness of the two-tone silver/blue is kinda nice. 
Now that that's out of the way and the bike is being delivered tomorrow, what do I do about the sidebags? $1000 feels exorbitant for a part that should be stock on a bike like this, so 3rd party it is.  If there's already a thread on this topic, please point me there (I couldn't find anything).

@deadstiff I really had my heart set on GS when I decided to get a new bike (my last one was a '79 R60) until I read about the tank slapping and front fork issues on the 2013 that may have been involved with that journalist's death on the demo ride.  I don't care if they fixed it, the fact that there wasn't a built-in steering dampener on a bike that expensive is just unacceptable. That combined with the fact that BMW scored dead last in terms of reliability on Consumer Reports 2015 survey was all the sway I needed to give Yamaha my money instead as this will be my daily commuter (60 miles one way to work).

Now that that's out of the way and the bike is being delivered tomorrow, what do I do about the sidebags? $1000 feels exorbitant for a part that should be stock on a bike like this, so 3rd party it is.  If there's already a thread on this topic, please point me there (I couldn't find anything). 

http://shadusa.com/wp/archives/categories/cases

Many of us have and like the Shad 36 side bags. Delivery has been a bit drawn out occasionally though.

Now, now, you can buy a FJR1300 that has the heated grips, saddlebags, elec. windshield, adjustable elec. suspension, adequate fairing, shaft drive and gobs of HP and Torque for $17-18,000.  So, if you are looking at a moto that sells for $10,500, no one is nickel dimeing you, rather you are expecting low prices to match the low price on the basic moto.  Granted, if those items were included, it wouldn't cost or add as much as they want to sell those items as accessories.  I even wished that they would have offered the bike up that way.  Trouble is, there are more people that want the bike without touring accessories than those that want them.  Most will ride without saddlebags, touring windshield, heated grips, etc.  Fact is they can make almost as much on just the sale of the saddlebags as they do the bike. (?, not sure about that) 
Suggestion:  I just picked up used 2008 [/url]FJR saddlebags (black) for $450.  You can do the same.  The lower support brackets run $90 or so.  IMO, the best looking sidebags are the FJR, with a number of colors to choose from.  At $540, I'm  paying less than you will if you buy Shad or Givi new brackets and bags.  Let alone the ease of install will take 1/4th the time.  Keep that in mind.  It is winter time, good time to accessorize your bike.  Take your time and you can get good deals.  I like this pic:

?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_147726250662319&key=6a18c114bcd440b1eb864586ee1f570c&libId=iun7x7ga01010i6y000DApbrbw5wv&loc=http%3A%2F%2Ffj-09.org%2Fthread%2F858%2Ffjr-bags-on-fj%3Fpage%3D4&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Far9XFUP.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Ffj-09.org%2Fboard%2F4%2Ffj-09-parts-accessory-reviews&title=FJR%20bags%20on%20FJ%20%7C%20FJ-09%20Forums&txt=%3Cimg%20src%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Far9XFUP.jpg%22%20class%3D%22tiptip_visible%22%20style%3D%22max-width%3A%20640px%3B%20max-height%3A%20480px%3B%22%3E
?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_147726333445921&key=6a18c114bcd440b1eb864586ee1f570c&libId=iun7x7ga01010i6y000DApbrbw5wv&loc=http%3A%2F%2Ffj-09.org%2Fthread%2F858%2Ffjr-bags-on-fj%3Fpage%3D5&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fi198.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faa112%2Ffatpopdad%2Fextra%2FIMG_4651_zps52kerqiy.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Ffj-09.org%2Fboard%2F4%2Ffj-09-parts-accessory-reviews&title=FJR%20bags%20on%20FJ%20%7C%20FJ-09%20Forums&txt=

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

It is winter time, good time to accessorize your bike. 
Having lived my entire life in Los Angeles (except for an entirely forgettable 5 years in Minneapolis), I can honestly say, I have no idea what you're talking about. :D Having said that, I do find it so incredibly ironic that on the day the bike was delivered (today) it decided to rain. This is the 2nd time it has rained this year... Just my luck.   
So my brand new 2016 is keeping dry in the garage with zero miles on the odometer D:

On to serious matters--do the FJR or aftermarket bags cause any sort of instability? I'm a bit concerned about the front end wobble at high speeds with side cases as most of my riding will be on the freeway and a fair portion of it will be in high desert winds. 

http://shadusa.com/wp/archives/categories/cases 
Many of us have and like the Shad 36 side bags. Delivery has been a bit drawn out occasionally though.

I don't see the FJ09 on their list of specified bikes. Which bags are people using and how much does it add to the total width of the bike? 
Sorry for the double post, haven't figured out how to multiquote yet.

Do you plan on doing high speeds on the Calif. freeways and deserts?

High speed wobble maybe above 100 while shifting or on a bad road surface.

The Givi, Shad and the FJR sidebags will add width, so unless you have comfort with 37" or so while lane sharing, you might look at the FJ side bags which will save you about 4". Now, since the handlebars are 38" wide, i think, you might want to just get used to the width and go with it. I don't have any problem lane sharing with the FJR bags or putting along at 95 for that matter.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived