• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

FJ-09 first impressions

• 2 weeks later...
Ohlins shock and fork cartridges installed, rode Mount Hamilton and Mines road yesterday. The bike is completely transformed. I started with the recommended settings but ended up four clicks softer on compression at both ends. The ride was compliant, fully "plush and planted" and completely enjoyable. I found the CEE Bailey windscreen too large for full enjoyment on a sport ride, so this ride was taken behind the shorty tinted screen which came with the bike. Now I'm just a set of heated grips away from full Yamaha FJ nirvana.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
Ohlins shock and fork cartridges installed, rode Mount Hamilton and Mines road yesterday. The bike is completely transformed. I started with the recommended settings but ended up four clicks softer on compression at both ends. The ride was compliant, fully "plush and planted" and completely enjoyable. I found the CEE Bailey windscreen too large for full enjoyment on a sport ride, so this ride was taken behind the shorty tinted screen which came with the bike. Now I'm just a set of heated grips away from full Yamaha FJ nirvana.
Now that you have the suspension upgraded, how does the front end feel at speed, like on the interstate?  My suspension is still stock and the front end feels light and "fluttery" as I gain speed.  I have raised the forks in the clamps 10mm and tightened the spring preload, I'm hoping the upgraded suspension will fix this issue and give it a more firm, planted feel.  

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Now that you have the suspension upgraded, how does the front end feel at speed, like on the interstate?  My suspension is still stock and the front end feels light and "fluttery" as I gain speed.  I have raised the forks in the clamps 10mm and tightened the spring preload, I'm hoping the upgraded suspension will fix this issue and give it a more firm, planted feel.
Yes, you'll be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Please keep the mccruise updates coming
Probably worth mentioning I ordered last Sunday at 11 PM and received the unit in my hand Thursday.  Impressive.
That was my experience also! I live in Oklahoma, and much like Kansas and Texas, there are vast expanses of mildly undulating terrain that will make you crazy with the various throttle lockers. The MC Cruise is just a game changer! Turn it on, punch the button and take a nap..(tongue in cheek). It made a 790 mile day possible and my gas mileage between 45 and 64. If the choice were between an aftermarket exhaust and the MC Cruise, the MC Cruise would, and did get my money. The FJ-09 is the best bike I have ever owned, and for my intended use, the MC Cruise is the best add-on I have done. My intended use is an around town bike capable of long trips. Light weight and a performance triple were the underlying base for the platform, and the FJ-09 fits that criteria perfectly. I made incremental changes to it in the order of importance to me-windshield, saddle, suspension, crash bars, and cruise control. It all works together beautifully, I am a happy camper! 

Hi Chris, sorry if you've answered this already but can you give some details on the seat please. How do you like it? And who makes it? Thanks!
I purchased my bike used and it came equipped with the seat as is.  Its seems okay, but I may replace it with a sargent..... ;)

Hi Chris, sorry if you've answered this already but can you give some details on the seat please. How do you like it? And who makes it? Thanks!
I purchased my bike used and it came equipped with the seat as is.  Its seems okay, but I may replace it with a sargent..... ;)
No problem, thanks.  Tried a Sargent since I've had 4-5 of their seats and currently have one on the FJR, but it just didn't work for me for some reason and ended up returning it.   
SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

Archived