FJ-09 first impressions

Hi

Rode the FJ home from the dealer today, the journey home was approximately 60km, 90% high way.  The engine is awesome, the bike is a lot faster than my FZ-07.  

So....first impressions:

1. the bars are very tingly, more so than the 07.

2. the oem yamaha windscreen wobbles, which is a little distracting.

3. at one point i was going 170 km/h but didn't realize I was going that fast until the front started feeling light and for want of a better word 'vague'.  Could this be a matter of too much or too little compression in the forks?  I weigh under 160 lbs, and with gear probably 170. When I got home, I set the front and rear suspension settings to factory settings, but was too excited to note what setting it was in when I rode the bike home.

4. the oem heated grips are really warm, I checked the settings when I got home, the middle setting was on 4, and it felt really hot. Set the high to 6, mid to 3, and low to 2.

5. brakes are a lot stronger than the 07.

6. finally, the oem yamaha side cases can fit 2 six packs on each side. 

IMG_6259.jpg

• Premium Member
KPH, FJ - Does this mean Stella Artois, or wifebeater as it is known in some circles has infested Canada?

Oh, I see Anheuser Busch have got it now. You poor things, don't you have something better to drink?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I also have a fz-07 and here is the suspension settings I found work best..norcal616 Avatar
Oct 9, 2016 17:33:13 GMT -4 norcal616 said:
Here are my final settings:
Front forks:
Preload, 24/64 inch from top of fork cap to bottom of adjuster.
Rebound, 6 clicks out (ccw) from full in.
Rear shock:
Rebound, 1.25 turns out (ccw) from full in.
Preload, position 5 from full soft.
** top of fork tube is just sticking a hair thickness above the top triple tree clamp**

Try these settings...I'm 185# geared up and enjoy the settings but I do wish I had a few more # on me with these settings it would be better...I found these settings after reading thru a few different forum threads and found these settings to be very very similar across the threads I read over...I'm 92-95% happy with the settings but I'm a bit light for the stock rear shock valving so it just needs to be corrected for my weight and it will be 95%+ good enough for me...currently really tall frost heaves that are 3 inches or taller will give me a little seat bounce which can be solved with a revalve...

Coming from a FZ-07 I can say the stock FJ-09 suspension is like putting Ohlins suspension on the FZ-07 in my book...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I also have a fz-07 and here is the suspension settings I found work best..norcal616 Avatar Oct 9, 2016 17:33:13 GMT -4 norcal616 said:
Here are my final settings:
Front forks:
Preload, 24/64 inch from top of fork cap to bottom of adjuster.
Rebound, 6 clicks out (ccw) from full in.
Rear shock:
Rebound, 1.25 turns out (ccw) from full in.
Preload, position 5 from full soft.
** top of fork tube is just sticking a hair thickness above the top triple tree clamp**

I will add preload to the rear and maybe raise the front forks a little tomorrow. Wish I didn't have to work tomorrow. This weekend I will get my son to help me set the sag.

The suspension if brutally harsh.
...and so the moment has finally come, when you realized the true value of this forum. Honeymoon is over! ::)
With nearly 20,000 miles on my FJ-09, it seems like through a combination of the proper suspension settings (for me) and some miles, I don't notice the harshness of the suspension at all any more, although I certainly did when the bike was new.   Time cures all, I guess!  

...and so the moment has finally come, when you realized the true value of this forum. Honeymoon is over! ::)
With nearly 20,000 miles on my FJ-09, it seems like through a combination of the proper suspension settings (for me) and some miles, I don't notice the harshness of the suspension at all any more, although I certainly did when the bike was new.   Time cures all, I guess!
Coming from an Fz07 this bike's suspension seems positively plush. My commute to work is on a road that's a bit rough. A lot of the bumps that would launch the rear up on my Fz07 barely upsets the Fj09's rear now.  
I bumped up preload one notch on the rear and backed the compression off by a quarter turn from stock settings. The front is still on stock settings.

I bumped up preload one notch on the rear and backed the compression off by a quarter turn from stock settings.
A lot of the bumps that would launch the rear up on my Fz07 barely upsets the Fj09's rear now

Assuming we're still talking about the shock, that's a rebound adjuster. I just did 200 miles on my 1 week old FZ07 and have to agree, the shock is pitiful.

My first impressions; part 2.

I was lane splitting in San Francisco Saturday; Sunday morning I removed the wind guards, some of the stickers, and carefully measured and adjusted sag and took a guess at best dampening settings. I took off with the bike in A mode, and the TCS turned off. I got my gear on and enjoyed a long canyon ride. The bike did in fact work a little bit better. Smooth pavement sections were really fun, this engine ripps, I enjoyed the bike a lot. The bumpy sections still made me miserable, but armed with the fun I had I did more suspension research and today bit the bullet and ordered the top shelf Ohlins solution front and rear. I'm getting tires installed this week, and the suspension should be installed the following week or so. At this point I'm thrilled with the bike and looking forward to the plush and planted feeling that should take my enjoyment of this great motorcycle to the next level.

• 2 weeks later...
Part 3.

Installed the MCCruise last night and noticed bodywork design and fasteners have improved a bunch over the last 10 years or so.  My 2006 GSXR1000 was a nightmare to work on compared to the FJ09.

The MCCruise kit is mildly intimidating out of the box because there is a surprisingly robust wiring harness.  The directions are clear, complete, and easy to follow; complete installation took me about 4 hours.

I've enjoyed one test ride so far and the system seems to be functioning perfectly.  Its raining so I won't be performing further testing today, but I will update after I have some time with the system.

Archived