Motech Front spoiler

joeymac

I've just fitted the second one you linked to Joeymac. Easy to fit and seems to cover the drain bolt and fin very well (mine is the '15 reg original design). Plus it has protection for the bottom part of the headers. The plate itself is thicker than I thought, which I'm taking to be a good thing.

I fitted it to mine as I have a habit of mounting kerbs for parking and I worried about scraping that area.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
I would love to see photos of FJ-09's with skid plates on. Hint... hint... please. ?

I mean I think a small skid plate on my Tenere doesn't look bad but just can't get how one might look like on a FJ-09.
4e733488ad93b16a665b4b82cde791df.jpg

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
I already did the low-profile Mazda drain bolt and trimmed fin mod but I like the idea of protecting the headers too,  Do you have to remove the shield to access the drain bolt and drain the oil, or is clearance or a hole provided (I reviewed the mounting isntructions but it was unclear as to drain bolt access, a couple underside photos should be revealing)?

Listed here for the XSR900 but US forum people see: 

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-aluminum-engine-guard-skid-plate-for-yamaha-xsr900-16

Also, how much true bash protection will it provide before caving in and transfering the impact to the headers (the US review says "not super robust but more protection for the exposed sump")?

Thx

I will have to remove the plate to access the oil drain plug. It's straightforward though as the plate is attached by small countersunk screws and leaves the mounts in place.

As for true protection in a meaty impact....no idea, The mounts are spread across 5 bolts into the oil pan and the plate itself would transfer any impact over a wider area. In my mind that's better than concentrating the force on either on one header pipe or the oil drain plug, but for me it's peace of mind as I hope I'll hear the plate scrape as I bump up a kerb and I'll back off. It will hopefully protect from random bolts piercing the sump as I've seen here on the forum.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I've built a skid plate to protect the oil plug on my FZ. I wanted it to be sleek so it's not really visible, just does it's job. The SW Motech ones to me are too bulky looking. It has a plastic bumper piece built to absorb any overly large hits and spread it across the bottom of the oil pan and protect the fin and bolt. Oil drain is accessible when mounted.
I have a few left, PM if you're interested.

IMAG1510.jpg

IMAG1520.jpg

IMAG1524.jpg

Archived