Now that you've seen the FJ-09, what do you think?

I spend alot of time on advrider.com, which is a freakin awesome bike forum, btw. Anyways, the last 5 years or so there have been a ton of guys reporting serious failures in their BMW's final drive systems and BMW is leaving these people out in the cold, voiding warranties, on and on.  
I also read a well known BMW guru telling people to stay away from the newer BMW motorcycles, and he showed his shop full of BMW's with issues that BMW won't cover under warranty.

I dunno about BMW.
You know I visit there every once in awhile too. I saw the same thing was astounded, seems BMW has now taken the crown for worst motorcycle from Harley, which has worn it for years now.
Trans, clutches and drives, who would have thought.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I spend alot of time on advrider.com, which is a freakin awesome bike forum, btw. Anyways, the last 5 years or so there have been a ton of guys reporting serious failures in their BMW's final drive systems and BMW is leaving these people out in the cold, voiding warranties, on and on.  
I also read a well known BMW guru telling people to stay away from the newer BMW motorcycles, and he showed his shop full of BMW's with issues that BMW won't cover under warranty.

I dunno about BMW.
You know I visit there every once in awhile too. I saw the same thing was astounded, seems BMW has now taken the crown for worst motorcycle from Harley, which has worn it for years now.
Trans, clutches and drives, who would have thought.
----------------------------

Yeah, ADV is great --- best motorcycle forum I've ever seen.  By far.  It's huge though.

About BMW, yeah there's been a lot of complaints there.  But there are so many R's on that site, certainly more than anything else, you're gonna get lots of complaints just from the law of large numbers.

Even still, the recent problems (e.g.: RT suspension recall) for brand new bikes is inexcusable.  Bad.

They've seem to have recognized their weaknesses, at least on the new stuff, as the arrangements they've made (loaners, buyback option, etc) seem very generous.

I don't expect to buy one soon, but if there were a particular model I really really liked, their brand-rep wouldn't stop me.   

Aerodynamics plays an important role in fuel economy.  The fairing on the FJ version of this bike may actually increase fuel efficiency.  Who knows?  As of this writing however, the Yamaha info I've read here in the US says both models return 44 mpg (which I presume means US gallons).
Anyone attending the M/C show in Seattle this weekend?  If so, I'd love to read your take on these bikes.

Aerodynamics plays an important role in fuel economy.  The fairing on the FJ version of this bike may actually increase fuel efficiency.  Who knows?  As of this writing however, the Yamaha info I've read here in the US says both models return 44 mpg (which I presume means US gallons). Anyone attending the M/C show in Seattle this weekend?  If so, I'd love to read your take on these bikes.

Fuel mileage? Will be interesting to see how the FJ-09 does compared to what Yamaha states.

Yamaha claims 36 mpg for the current FJR1300, which I average 45-50 on mine.

• 1 year later...
I've had mine for a year now and I'm an old fart, 76 years old. I've had a good many bikes, but this is my favorite and will be with me until I expire. I like to go as fast as I can in the twisties and don't really want a long distance tourer. I've been slowing down because of one eye losing it's sight. This bike is my substitute for having to give up hang gliding, but is almost as satisfying. So far no problems and dealers not far away if I had a problem. My take is that it's a good bike for new riders with some experience and overall a really fantastic bike. Not the best for really long rides and not the best for really fast on the track, but one of the best compromises. I plan to be riding to the day that I die. But it won't be the bike that kills me. I hope. It will be my stupidity or complacence. Treat every ride as if there are cagers out there wanting to kill you. 

My other bike is a Guzzi Stelvio which I'm trying to sell. It's a better bike for long distance touring. I'm not into that anymore. 

Archived