Greetings some advice please

Hi all,

Just signed up. I'm on the fence and a few days from making a decision. Here is the situation:

Bikes I've been considering are:

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S
BMW R1200RS
Ninja 1000 ABS
FJR 1300 A or ES
FJ 09

I've done a lot of thinking about this. I feel for the money, the best value, assuming I can get a good deal, is down between the FJR and FJ. For what im looking for in a bike, I just don't feel the BMW or DUC is worth the extra $3-$10k. As for the Kawasaki, liked it, but felt more drawn to either Yamaha.

I went shopping today and found these deals:

2015 left over FJ 09 $9000 OTD Gray and $8800 OTD Red (don't know why the red is $200 less, but whatever, I liked the dealer, he seemed like a good guy and felt he was dealing in good faith so I wont question it)

2015 left over FJR 1300A $11900 OTD Gray
2016 FJR 1300A $15540 OTD Blue.
2017 FJR 1300ES $16570 OTD Black.

I'm 47, 6 ft 220lbs, average build, and have owned many different bikes over the years from cruisers to sport bikes. I like both, and LOVE the value of the FJ 09 and think its comfortable with a great seating position for causal and sporting weekend rides. It seems like a lot of bike for the money. Much more than all of the other bikes I considered. I think its a sexy bike. But.... also liked the big comfort of the FJR, added electronic features and without a doubt the extra power is a big selling point. Its a proven platform for years. Impressive Power, comfort, and features vs one of the best motorcycle values I have ever seen. I'm a little concerned the FJ might be a bit underpowered in comparison. But for $9k? Geez...what a bike. I'm trying to think what I'm going to want to keep long term.

Decisions..decisions...

Any thoughts? Comments would be appreciated.

• Premium Member
The FJ-09 will NOT feel underpowered to you. That 847cc triple punches above it's weight. Amazing torque and HP. Those are excellent prices all-around you received.

....or wait until Feb and take a look at the new Ducati Multistrada 950! Kind of an Italian FJ!

Welcome to the forum!

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

The FJ-09 will NOT feel underpowered to you. That 847cc triple punches above it's weight. Amazing torque and HP. Those are excellent prices all-around you received. 
....or wait until Feb and take a look at the new Ducati Multistrada 950! Kind of an Italian FJ!

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the reply. I did read up on the MS 950. It won't include many of the 1200 bike's features. Although I'm sure it will be great, at 14-15k, I think it will still have a premium price for what it is due to the ducati brand. Besides, the closest ducati dealer is an hour and a half away.  

• Premium Member
I own an MT09 Tracer (FJ09) and a BMW R1200RS.

I suggest you ride both as they are both very good bikes.

Both bikes are getting some significant changes for the 2017 models so prices for any unsold 2015/6 stock will drop. This may also affect used values downwards.

The extra cash thrown into the BMW is very evident in more sophisticated suspension, quickshifter, Brembo brakes and a Bosch fuel injection that just works very well out of the box. I also love the convenience of shaft drive and the boxer engine in 125bhp form is just lovely.

I have toured many miles on the Tracer and if I was less affluent I would be happy with just the Tracer as it is cracking value for money. I thought about spending money on improving the Tracer but a friend tried this route and was underwhelmed, then he bought a KTM Super Duke.

Since acquiring the BMW in September the Tracer is mainly used for commuting. For fun rides I take the BMW as the motor's torque and the better suspension put a massive smile on my face.

I've also ridden the Ninja & FJR - worthy but rather dull bikes. Ducati looks horrible so never bothered riding it.

It's a toss up between the RS & FJ09 in my view. From what I have heard about US dealers who are mainly piss poor, your buying choice may be swayed by having a decent dealer nearby.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Well, my first question would be what kind of riding do you plan on doing. If you are going to spend a lot of time long distance touring, you might opt for something a bit bigger like the FJR, but if you want a bike that does a bit of it all, the FJ-09 is a great choice. As anyone here will tell you, it isn't perfect for every kind of riding, but it is very good at most of them, and damn near perfect in some. I love the power, acceleration, nimbleness in the turns, but it also is fine for riding longer distances with gear. Maybe not as comfortable as some of the larger bikes you are looking at, but if you will be doing a variety of riding, this is the bike.

Hope this helps....

Power to weight ratio between the FJ and FJR is about the same.....Ive done roll-ons with my buddy's FJR and they are dead even. I'm guessing that since I installed a full exhaust w/remap I would pull away from him. Coming off a Concour 14 and a 1290 SA, I will NEVER go back to a big-ass motorcycle. Light and nimble bikes are just too much fun. I've added heated grips, heated seat and quick-shifter to mine (plus a s**t-load more) and still have less than than $12K in it.

image.jpg

These guys compared the FJ09 to some others and one is on your list. I know a lot of reviewer sites dont mean much but a quick interesting read anyway.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/kawasaki-ninja-1000-abs-suzuki-gsx-s1000f-yamaha-fj-09-motorcycle-comparison?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&src=SOC&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5855460ff6d7a10007d0ccdc&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Its really what you want the bike for as many others have said. If all you want is a long distance tourer then an FJ1300 would be better suited than the FJ09 (but at almost double the cost) but its a big bike for zipping around the city for a daily commuter i think, that is where the FJ09 is awesome. As most of my trips are short ones the FJ09 suited me more. One thing i like with with Yamaha is lower cost of ownership. I would hate to see the parts and service costs for DMW or ducati  and there dealer networks are very small compared to Japanese bikes. If money is no issue and you got a good dealer network for BMW then the 1200 is probably the better bike (i never ridden one) but if you want a well priced bike that is reliable and a hell of a lot of fun then the FJ09 would fit nice.

I like this guys videos

Here is the FJ09 ride 

Here is the 1200RS  ride

• Premium Member
I know the RS is a better bike in many ways, but the primary question is, is it worth double what the FJ costs? 9k vs 18, literally. Its not a matter of being able to afford it, rather is it worth double? 
That, my friend, is a question that only you can answer! (But I'll answer it at the end anyway.)

I think others have covered the bases pretty well. But one more question: Do you want to spend a lot of your time cruising at 100+ mph? If so, the FJ-09 is probably not the right choice. What feels "nimble" at 60mph may feel "unstable" at 120. There's been lots of discussion of this, and folks disagree, but at the end of the day, the FJ is simply not meant to be a bullet train replacement. In some markets, the FJ is even speed-limited to 115mph or so.

But for me:

If I had only one bike, the FJ would be it. And it is. (Not counting scooters!)

If I had two bikes, I might want something bigger, along with something smaller or less practical--or I might still want an FJ. (FJ + RC390? R1200RT + Hyper or Duke 690?)

The FJ isn't perfect. Its faults I've noticed are (1) the horrid windshield (easy to fix, I got Madstad) and (2) slightly jerky fueling, esp. at part throttle (it has taught me to be very smooth...or you can mod the ECU if you want). Folks complain about the suspension, but I find it just fine. I had a Street Triple R for a couple of years, and I prefer the ride/handling of the FJ.

I've had the FJ for a year and a half now, and it has bored me exactly zero times. It has been fun on almost every single ride, whether across town or several hundred miles. The only exception I can think of was a sub-20mph in-town crawl with a squirmy passenger, where the combination of fueling, high CG, and squirm demanded some serious concentration on my part. (I now have a scooter for these sorts of things.) The motor is a hoot, the handling is great, the comfort and sight lines are excellent, and it's surprisingly solid-feeling for such a relative lightweight.

In summary, unless you spend a lot of time above 100mph or below 20, I don't really see how you can go wrong with the FJ-09.

Would I get it the FJ over a R1200RS for double the money? Given the riding I do, and given my questions about BMW reliability and maintenance, the answer is yes, without a doubt.

• Premium Member
Whoa... opinions are like... well you know because everyone has one.

Mine... I'm in a serious affair with the Yamaha Super Tenere. I put over 68,000 miles on my 2012 in two years the upgraded to the 2014 ES Tenere. ? Fandamntastic!
But this year I decided I needed a lighter bike and bought "Red Molly" my 2015 Red FJ-09. I really like this thing! I thought and been told that those two are too much alike and I would/should sell one.
I've been riding one than the other and each time I love the one I'm with!!! I have no problem sport riding the Tenere and no problem touring on the FJ-09.

The point is... find your nitch no one is like YOU!

Me I want to own/try all bikes! But reality says NO!

Brick

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Thanks for all of the great replies, its much appreciated. Keep them coming. Let me address some of the points ive read in your replies. Most of my riding is mostly around town, rural back roads, and some limited highway cruising (2 hours +/-). I have never loaded up a bike with luggage and toured for a few days. In the back of my mind, I have thought I want to, but never have. Having the option for that is what keeps the FJR as an option. I'm sure it could be done on the FJ, but doesn't seem ideal in terms of all day comfort. This brings me to the RS. Ive spent severall hours at my local BMW dealer researching the RS. It seems like its a do it all type of bike. (no interest in off road, so that's not a factor) My main hesitation is two fold. First, I'm unsure of the boxer twin. I have read equally conflicting reviews from how much torque and power It delivers to how uninspiring the motor is. The size is perfect and it is very comfortable. The tech available is spot on and checks all the boxes. I'm just not drawn to that boxer twin for some reason. Now the Ducati 1200 twin? That's badass motorcycle goodness. It also checks the tech boxes, minus the quick shifter. My hesitation with the Ducati is also two fold. First, I'm reading a lot about spotty quality issues. Second, the nearest dealer is an hour and a half away. The combination of the two concerns me. No matter how much I lust after the MS 1200, it seems to be the most impractical option, not to mention the most expensive by far at $20k. I could stretch my budget, but would have to feel 100% sure its worth it.  (the 950 doesn't offer enough power or tech increase over the FJ for the diff in price) If I had a local dealer, it might be a whole other story. So, the FJ....I'm drawn to it in a similar way as the MS, although in a slightly less visceral sense. I like the idea of the triple, just wish it had a touch more hp/tq, and had a touch longer wheelbase (had a triumph sprint and loved that triple) The FJR? Seems like a great bike. Just no sure it stirs the soul.

Money wise, I'm trying to balance being financially responsible with getting the bike that satisfies me without feeling like I've compromised too much. Been way to spontaneous over the years with cars and bikes and trying to put a little more thought into it this time around.

Again, considering everything the FJ has to offer at $9k OTD, it is a tough bike to beat in terms of value. I know I've said nothing new. :-) Just going through my decision process with you hoping maybe it will help me make a decision.

I know the RS is a better bike in many ways, but the primary question is, is it worth double what the FJ costs? 9k vs 18, literally. Its not a matter of being able to afford it, rather is it worth double? 
That, my friend, is a question that only you can answer! (But I'll answer it at the end anyway.) 
I think others have covered the bases pretty well. But one more question: Do you want to spend a lot of your time cruising at 100+ mph? If so, the FJ-09 is probably not the right choice. What feels "nimble" at 60mph may feel "unstable" at 120. There's been lots of discussion of this, and folks disagree, but at the end of the day, the FJ is simply not meant to be a bullet train replacement. In some markets, the FJ is even speed-limited to 115mph or so.

But for me:

If I had only one bike, the FJ would be it. And it is. (Not counting scooters!)

If I had two bikes, I might want something bigger, along with something smaller or less practical--or I might still want an FJ. (FJ + RC390? R1200RT + Hyper or Duke 690?)

The FJ isn't perfect. Its faults I've noticed are (1) the horrid windshield (easy to fix, I got Madstad) and (2) slightly jerky fueling, esp. at part throttle (it has taught me to be very smooth...or you can mod the ECU if you want). Folks complain about the suspension, but I find it just fine. I had a Street Triple R for a couple of years, and I prefer the ride/handling of the FJ.

I've had the FJ for a year and a half now, and it has bored me exactly zero times. It has been fun on almost every single ride, whether across town or several hundred miles. The only exception I can think of was a sub-20mph in-town crawl with a squirmy passenger, where the combination of fueling, high CG, and squirm demanded some serious concentration on my part. (I now have a scooter for these sorts of things.) The motor is a hoot, the handling is great, the comfort and sight lines are excellent, and it's surprisingly solid-feeling for such a relative lightweight.

In summary, unless you spend a lot of time above 100mph or below 20, I don't really see how you can go wrong with the FJ-09.

Would I get it the FJ over a R1200RS for double the money? Given the riding I do, and given my questions about BMW reliability and maintenance, the answer is yes, without a doubt.
Well said Alejandro.  My thoughts exactly.

Welcome to the forum!

The Ducati Multistrada 950 looks like a cool bike, but is anyone else bothered by the fact that the exhaust exits right where the side bags sit?

Archived