The SIAM The SMIDSY intervention and avoidance maneuver

Thanks for the post.. I have done this "SIAM maneuver" before without understanding the science, just seemed like a good idea at the time. I will keep this in mind when approaching intersections in the future.

One interesting thing he mentioned in the video is that the high vis vest the rider was wearing might actually break up the silhouette of the rider. So in situations where there is a complex background it could make it harder for the driver to see the rider's silhouette. I have read several articles lately questioning the effectiveness of high vis gear. I'm sure there are instances that it helps, but don't get a false sense of security that drivers will see you just because you are wearing high vis gear.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Good stuff. I've always been dubious of high-vis gear. When I was in the US Navy they started making us wear orange vests to ride on base. I didn't observe any change in driver behavior. Swerving a bit definitely seems to wake up the BDCers though.

The best way I found to get the attention of a car driver was loud air horns that sound like a diesel truck. They know they are driving half asleep and not paying much attention. Let loose on the air horns and they think they are about to get run over by a truck. They nearly jump out the window.

I have used this system many times and the look on drivers faces as you pass the intersection says they saw you.
There is lots of discussion about the effectiveness of high Viz.
The eyes can see you but the brain may not recognize what it has seen because motorists are conditioned to look for cars, and sometimes they miss them, when I say them I mean WE.
Having seen hi viz helmets when I am driving the car, they ( in my opinion ) do make a big difference to visibility.
However, car drivers still struggle to judge distance and speed where motorcycles are concerned, even if they see you they may still emerge, I try to have an alternative course wherever possible.
I expect them to pull out rather than not.

I had to think about this for awhile and came to some conclusions. There is no safety technique that is appropriate in all situations. For example, I ride in a very dense traffic area and have other motorcycles come from behind and pass me in the other tire track of my lane frequently enough that starting to weave unexpectedly may cause them to crash into me. Another example, weaving will not do any good at all if you are going too fast and that car pulls out in front of you anyway. It may be better to slow down instead of, or in addition to, weave.

I am not so sure about the effectiveness of high viz gear. It may push the other driver into something called target fixation, and they end up driving right into you.

I don't recall that being taught that in the RoSPA advanced rider course (formally) but my Police Observer taught me about this anyway - umpteen years ago, and it does work.

As xlxr says - it needs to be done in appropriate place, and no one course of action is right for every circumstance.

My last refresher course for RoSPA was a long up hill with a 90 bend to the right, and a side road to the left (which effectively is straight on). There was a car waiting to pull out across my path (we drive on the wrong side of the road in the UK remember) and I continued on and round the bend while the driver waited.

In the debrief the comment was that I should have signalled right, even though I was actually staying on the main road and not really doing a right turn. This was just to emphasise and reinforce the direction I was taking, and clear any doubt, just in case the driver had seen me, but then misinterprets my intended direction.

Incidentally I would fail the DoT Driving test if I did that.

Within "The System" (which is what they refer to the riding technique taught to Police riders - and RoSPA Advanced Riders) is positioning to enhance observation, but NOT at the expense of safety. So one should surrender forward view and observation to increase safety margin (And reduce speed proportionally too), so for that same road, but this time no side turning - I would be right over to the left, to see deep into the bend. But in this case (with the side turn) I am instead up to the centre of the road, surrendering observation distance for a margin of safety to the car coming up to the junction from the side road.

TUG (Take Understand Give) is the acronym referring to the (taking of information from others - their signals etc) and the giving of information to others by; signalling, light flashing, horn sounding BUT also road positioning to emphasise what you are planning to do. It builds an additional bit of clarity to others.

Ride Safe!
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

AGW. Acronyms Gone Wild.
Another TLA in fact.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• 2 weeks later...
I've been using the SIAM but didn't know it had a name. My logic has been to think about sweeping my headlight beam across any driver who might pull out in front of me. My hope is by moving the light across their vision, even in the daytime, a glint may catch their attention. I've still had people pull out in front of me, but no really close calls.

Stay Safe

• Premium Member
Good video and good discussion. What is meant by "background movement behind the car?"

We cannot just blame the damn cagers. There is almost always something the rider could have done to reduce the likelihood of a crash - SIAM, lane position, etc.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

... What is meant by "background movement behind the car?"...
It's a point of reference so that the rider knows when they are in a situation where the "SIAM" maneuver could help.

As you approach a vehicle that is waiting to enter the roadway, if you notice that the background behind the car is not moving in relation to the vehicle, then the rider knows that he/she is not moving against the background from the vehicles perspective.

Think about looking at a moving vehicle beside you on a highway. If you focus on the vehicle, then the background (trees, guardrail, etc) will be zooming by, a lot of movement. On the other hand, if there is a vehicle beside you at a stop light. Looking at the vehicle, the background will be perfectly still.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived