Multistrada 1200

Scuba

• Premium Member
FJ has grip heaters as options. Plug and play and work with the dashboard display. Easy to install. About $250, and you might be able to negotiate price when you buy the bike.

Cruise control is available after market and can be made to look OE with the knock out plates on the left controller. I agree with you and @donk about their exclusion being dumb, but it can be added aftermarket for much less $$$ than the price difference in your two bikes.

Before the FJ, I've always something like https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/998/23097/Tusk-Grip-Heater-Kit and usually spent around $30 for them. Definitely not integrated, but they work well.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The major price differences between these bikes are the badge (one says Ducati on it), the suspension (the multi has an electronically controlled Ohlins), the lean sensor which integrates into TCS, ABS and lighting, and that testastretta motor.

These are significant advances in tech over the FJ. I agree with @1moreroad the other differences can be had for reasonable prices, but you won't be able to replicate those things listed above.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

The major price differences between these bikes are the badge (one says Ducati on it), the suspension (the multi has an electronically controlled Ohlins), the lean sensor which integrates into TCS, ABS and lighting, and that testastretta motor. 
These are significant advances in tech over the FJ. I agree with @1moreroad the other differences can be had for reasonable prices, but you won't be able to replicate those things listed above.
Its just the Multi 1200S which gets the electronic Ohlins isnt it? i don't think the normal 1200 gets that. 

Of course though.. even the standard Multi suspension is better than the Tracers set up out of the factory. 

On the other hand.. for the price difference.. you could have the most awesome set up and still have loads of change for whatever else. 

I'll chime in and say that the best sport touring bike I've ever ridden was my buddy's Ducati ST4S. Excellent seat, wind protection, and hard bags AND Ohlins and a fantastic motor. 
It all comes down to cost, I think. If you've got almost 2x as much money available, will the Duc be more satisfying for you? Fortunately there are options. The Ducati Multi 950 comes out this year (http://www.ducati.com/bikes/multistrada/950/index.do). Maybe wait 2 years to find a leftover 950.

As far as the FJ, you'll spend < $4000 to upgrade the ECU, cruise control, windshield, seat, and suspension on the FJ. You might even fit a pipe in that budget, although IMO the FJ doesn't need it. Luggage is extra on the base Multi and on the FJ (I think based on what I read, but I could be wrong) and about the same price (again, I think). You're still looking at a more affordable bike in the FJ. @donk probably has the most long term experience with both bikes. I agree with him about Yamaha's weird option combinations, but you're looking at bikes that are available right now.

It seems to me to come down to price and emotion. Both bikes are very good. What bike are you willing to spend money on? What bike excites you when you walk into your garage? Does the Duc excite you 2x as much? For me, the downside of owning a Duc far outweigh the benefits of owning the FJ even considering some of the drawbacks. But then again, I am posting this on an FJ website. :)
It's more money but not 2X the money.  Otherwise very well put.  I can afford either and for me it's still a toss-up.  Soon as I find a great deal(like the one I missed last week here on the forum) on an FJ I can do back to back tests.  Should be interesting.  Rumor is an FJ-09 is as quick as an FZ1 and I know I outran my friend's '15 Multi with my FZ1.  Really rained on his parade too!   

The base model does not have electronic suspension only the S model does. Even so the base model suspension is amazing.  The Pikes Peak has non electric Ohlins. The base also has a black and white dash, the S has color display. The motors and IMU are the same.  I have the base touring model.

The two are totally different bikes man. Seriously? It's like comparing a focus st to a Porsche. If you can afford to drop the bucks on a Strada, then get the Strada. FJ-09 is a good bike for the price, but no way is in the park with a Multistrada and we wont be able to change that.

The two are totally different bikes man. Seriously? It's like comparing a focus st to a Porsche. If you can afford to drop the bucks on a Strada, then get the Strada. FJ-09 is a good bike for the price, but no way is in the park with a Multistrada and we wont be able to change that.
You guys just don't get it.   It's what I've been saying for the last 3 months.  Yes you can compare an FJ-09 to a Multistrada because the FJ-09 out performs it's category.  No it doesn't have all the bells and whistles and the fit and finish isn't the same but the fun factor is.  Who on this forum has a set big enough to grab the brakes hard enough mid corner to see if cornering abs works?  I will tell you right now not one of us does.  It even scares the pro test riders to do it.  Give me my Multistrada and an FJ-09 set up as mine was and I guarantee you my lap times wouldn't be much different.  Real cost was less than $4000 different if you figure in the upgrades to the FJ-09 so it comes down to where you want to spend your money.  Why not compare David to Goliath, its fun and oh by the way in case you weren't paying attention in Sunday school David won that one.  I'm the resident Multistrada owner so why is it me beating the drum for the FJ-09?  I said it before and I say it now the FJ-09 is a good bike regardless of price.  I like the Multistrada, I'm not knocking it, it just so happens that the FJ-09 is also a good bike and with some work a very good bike.    

@ Donk. I found the picture on google about a month before i brought my FJ as the local Ducati/BMW store was having a leftover sale... I know yall talking about the Multistrada and the picture i posted was the Hyperstrada... I also been trying to replicate my google search to find one of a FJ-09 to Multistrada, but my google-fu is not working in my favor... The rider in that picture is 250#
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

If there was a Ducati dealer a lot closer than 1.5 hours from me, I'd probably strongly consider one but that's pretty much a deal breaker since I don't have time to be carting back and forth if there are issues. I get that it carries a premium but not really different than the cars I drive (hint, they are German).
So, I'll keep my eye out for a gently used FJ that has a few extras somewhere near me. I've seen a few come up but the one's I'm seeing, the asking price is for one with 10k mi is more than I can pay for a new (leftover) model. I have the Tenere and XR650L to keep me busy.
I was actually very close to buying an FJ at the start of winter but I thought I had a torn Achilles (long story) so I figured I'd miss out on the entire 2017 riding season in recovery so passed on it.

• Premium Member
@scuba, it sounds like you have a good picture of your options, and it sounds like you are coming to the conclusion that the 1.5 hr trip to the Ducati dealer could be a deal-breaker for you. I'm pretty sure it would be for me. I had a Triumph that wanted a little too much attention, and the only nearby dealer was confused and disorganized, and it wasn't pleasant--I spent way more time than I wanted to going back and forth to the dealer. Which was only two miles from my office.

You mention that you have German cars. Do you have "classics"? Or do you have the latest and greatest? I ask because I seem to be drawn to older cars. Not like really old, but I've had two E36 M3s that were pleasantly raw and mechanical and straightfoward. My Honda Element is a mechanical device, not an electronic device. One of the things that I enjoy about the FJ-09 is that it has a mechanical feel to it. Sure, it has ABS and TC, but they are inobtrusive, and most of the time, the bike is about the throttle and the gears and the tires and the brakes and all that. And yes, the drive-by-wire and throttle mapping leave something to be desired, but that can be fixed with a flash.

The Ducati's stock suspension is going to be more comfortable, and will doubtless handle choppy roads significantly better. If you're in a decaying city, that might be a big deal. The DVT twin should be a real powerhouse throughout the rev range, and if you like V-twins, L-twins, whatever you want to call it, I doubt they get much better than this.

Having said that, I find that the FJ-09 has plenty of power everywhere, is smooth with just the right amount of edge, and I actually hit full throttle for a few seconds at a time sometimes. Sometimes I downshift to second for ultimate oomph. I could not really use more power. Most of my riding is commute and travel. Your riding may be different from mine, and you may have more experience, so maybe you could use more power? I don't know.

FJ-09 handling and ergonomics are the most intuitive of the bikes I've ridden--which is not very many, but that's still saying something.

I am very happy that the FJ-09 is super-reliable so far. I do count on it for transportation, and it has not let me down. (I do have a BV350 and cars and bicycles and trains and buses for backup...)

Anyway, good luck with your choice, and be grateful, as I am, that we live at a moment in which we have so many fantastic motor vehicles to choose from. We need to enjoy it while we can. So if you have the money and the space, why not GET BOTH! :-D

I had the option to get a leftover 2013 Multistrada when I was shopping for bikes, and I got the FJ-09 instead. I sometimes wonder what-if. But then I get on the FJ-09 and RIDE IT and it is so much fun that I have zero regrets, even if the Duc would have been more red and fancier and more impressive to other people.

Thanks...2 (MB & BMW) out of the 3 cars are 2016's and my wife's "play car" is a 2010 (BMW). We also have a Honda Element :) that we use for the dogs (it's the pet friendly version) and towing the ATV/XR650L.

I'm currently in negotiation (I made an offer) for a trade + cash of my XR650L for a used '15 FJ-09. :)

Archived