Please read this, all euro bikes 500cc 100% tariff threat

Cruizin

The US is considering applying a 100% tariff on all euro bikes between 50cc and 500cc's. Dirtbikes, street bikes everything. Affected manufacturers include Aprilla, Beta. BMW, Ducati, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husqvarna, KTM, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, Sherco, TM and Vespa.

The AMA has a tool where riders can file a letter of complaint here https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/act-on-a-regulation?0&engagementId=275833

But the deadline to file feedback is Jan 30th! They didn't give us citizens much freaking time to respond and that means they are trying to push this thru.

Please, do us many usa ktm, ducati, husky dirtbike/streetbike riders a solid favor and file a complaint letter at the link above.

All USA euro dealers would close and most plain file bankruptcy. Parts would become afected too.

They need to move a few factories to the USA, or at least assemble them here. I like keeping jobs in the USA, but a 100% tariff seems pretty high.

Trump has been talking 35% on goods/products from companies that move OUT of the USA into countries like Mexico or China where labor costs are lower, and then ship those products back into the US market.

I do not remember this even being an issue that Trump was considering during the Election, and why would it affect the USA much? It's not like we have any companies that make small bikes anymore.

This sounds like a hoax folks. If it was in place for bikes with over 1000cc's like a HD, then I could see it. But there are many bikes made in the USA, the Goldwing for example.

Our market is large, and few companies would want to leave the market, so build them here. (Or as I said, assemble them here, and build what you need to make them "Made in the USA" like Ford, GM and Dodge do with cars. (More than 80% of your new "made in America" car is from parts made by someone OTHER than the name brand on the vehicle.) And all those plants over the years have moved off shore in large part.

Sure, you buy Chevy Malibu, but your engine and power train are made in China at a GM plant.
Sure, you buy tires, but they are made in France, Viet Nam or Albania.
Sure, you buy brake rotors and pads, but they are made in China.
The parts that make up the cars and bikes today are made all over the world. Any move to get more of them made in the USA is a good move in my view.

More working folks to buy motorcycles and enjoy them. ;)

This is not Trump's call by the way. This was in the works under Obama for years now. Clearly they gave up last time they tried, could not negotiate a deal as usual, and went after some imported food from the EU.

You guys do realize that our products get serious tariff's in other nations right?

It's time we play fair in my view. So the price of expensive bikes from EU goes up. Or they come to an agreement and reach a trade deal that is good for both sides. ;)

I'm not happy it's going to raise the cost of already expensive bikes. (I have owned and love KTM's for many years.)

This is not Trump's call by the way. This was in the works under Obama for years now. Clearly they gave up last time they tried, could not negotiate a deal as usual, and went after some imported food from the EU. 
You guys do realize that our products get serious tariff's in other nations right?

It's time we play fair in my view. So the price of expensive bikes from EU goes up. Or they come to an agreement and reach a trade deal that is good for both sides. ;)

I'm not happy it's going to raise the cost of already expensive bikes. (I have owned and love KTM's for many years.)

Christ, forget trump or whoever, ok? This is not a hoax and they are trying to sneak this thru quick, with the jan 30th deadline. Did ya click the link? The AMA is allover this and urging all riders to respond by the 30th.

I like to buy my KTM dirtbikes along with hundreds of thousands of other riders, motocrossers, enduro racers and off road riders in the USA.

And I dont blame Europe for not wanting our crappy beef loaded with Hormones and who knows wtf else that we inject.

This is about all USA riders banning together to tell the Feds to leave us and our freaking bikes alone.

They need to move a few factories to the USA, or at least assemble them here. I like keeping jobs in the USA, but a 100% tariff seems pretty high. 
Trump has been talking 35% on goods/products from companies that move OUT of the USA into countries like Mexico or China where labor costs are lower, and then ship those products back into the US market.

I do not remember this even being an issue that Trump was considering during the Election, and why would it affect the USA much? It's not like we have any companies that make small bikes anymore.

This sounds like a hoax folks. If it was in place for bikes with over 1000cc's like a HD, then I could see it. But there are many bikes made in the USA, the Goldwing for example.

Our market is large, and few companies would want to leave the market, so build them here. (Or as I said, assemble them here, and build what you need to make them "Made in the USA" like Ford, GM and Dodge do with cars. (More than 80% of your new "made in America" car is from parts made by someone OTHER than the name brand on the vehicle.) And all those plants over the years have moved off shore in large part.

Sure, you buy Chevy Malibu, but your engine and power train are made in China at a GM plant.
Sure, you buy tires, but they are made in France, Viet Nam or Albania.
Sure, you buy brake rotors and pads, but they are made in China.
The parts that make up the cars and bikes today are made all over the world. Any move to get more of them made in the USA is a good move in my view.

More working folks to buy motorcycles and enjoy them. ;)

And, I wouldn't post a hoax. Im the damn admin

If they really wanted to get the attention of the EU, they should threaten to tariff cars and diamonds. (Belgium would not be happy.) And the car companies in the EU have way more sway than a few bike makers. (Even BMW is listed, but the cars are not.)

This is just poor deal making by the beef lobby.

Very screwed up that they are throwing motorcycles under the bus to try and promote beef? What? Do they think we don't eat beef?

• Premium Member
The effects of this tariff are overstated. BMW, for example, is not affected because their only sub-500cc bikes (G310, etc) are made in India. Likewise for the KTM RC390.

KTM dirt bikes would be affected though.

• Premium Member
Looks to me like the beef industry is going to screw themselves on this deal because after a guy buys a new euro bike with the big tariff he won't have enough cash left over to even buy a cheeseburger.

BLB

Alot more info here

If you are just seeing this thread, here is my post on this on Reddit, and the over 500 responses from all over the world pretty much explains everything. So, if you haven't signed a letter of protest yet (if your from the usa) it also has a link to the ama tool to do so.

Neither Japan nor the USA make a Ktm/Beta/Husky dirtbike/trail bike/trials bike with Brembo brakes, Brembo Clutch, good exhaust, rockin suspension-in stock form. To add those to a new Yamaha or Honda dirtbike would cost far more than just buying KTM/Beta/Husky.

Send in an e-letter denouncing this idea, before the public opinion deadline January 30th! We dirt riders need your help!

Archived