Disturbing the Natural order (KLR 650 Windscreen)

superfist

• Premium Member
Weeks ago, I removed the stock windshield from the FJ-09 and reveled in the smooth, quiet and non-turbulent airstream. I don't like the look of the front without the windscreen and I wanted to make sure the front side of the instrument cluster was protected. I was going to (and still may) go with the home-made acrylic windscreen.

Tonight, I was just messing about when I noticed the old broken down 2007 KLR 650 sitting in the garage and the windshield looked like it couldn't possibly fit.  Nope.  No way, it's part of the fairing/headlamp assembly!

Test fit showed it had a little more curvature and slightly better deflection angle.  I zip tied it to get a look...  it clears the top of the headlamps in the low position with about 1/4" to spare, and it clears both handguards with about a 1/2" to spare.  I'd like to test it with a short ride, but it will likely be a couple weeks.  So... do I use the KLR screen as a template or do I just drill and mount it?

Test fit with zip-ties. People will be so confused if I don't cover the brand...  Yamasaki?

IMG_0757.jpgIMG_0758.jpg

• Premium Member
Yeah, I guess I forgot to mention the zip ties are very temporary. Just wanted to test fitment & wind characteristics before I decide whether I want to drill and bolt it or use it as a template.

• Premium Member
Very nice, JJM. I had to look up kydex and it looks like a great material for opaque applications. In fact... abrasion resistant, fire resistant, scratch resistant, fairly hard with good tensile strength and it's lightweight. Sounds perfect for motorcycle applications!

Hrm, do you know if multiple sheets can be "Welded" together? Now I've got other projects in mind that I had considered fiberglass for.

Very nice, JJM. I had to look up kydex and it looks like a great material for opaque applications. In fact... abrasion resistant, fire resistant, scratch resistant, fairly hard with good tensile strength and it's lightweight. Sounds perfect for motorcycle applications! 
Hrm, do you know if multiple sheets can be "Welded" together? Now I've got other projects in mind that I had considered fiberglass for.

Not sure about welding 2 pieces together. Once cooled (after shaping) it gets extremely rigid. Plus, as you stated, it's opaqueness lends to no worries about scratching, fogging, or hazing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
So, this was a bust. Wind hit me right at the top of the chest, which is good, but there was so much buffeting around the helmet that my neck was sore after a 220 mile trip. My 200 mile trip today with no windshield was much quieter, less strenuous and much more comfortable. I think I'll just make a cowl that comes up just high enough to protect the cluster.  I think I'll follow JJM's lead =)  Thanks for the idea on Kydex!

What is it like riding with a barn door in front of you? :P
Its great! Nice and quiet. I ride with my visor open 90% of the time.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I'll admit it. Sometimes... *sigh* I get a little envious of cruisers I see riding down the interstate in complete comfort behind a riot shield. I've always liked naked bikes though, from the old UJM style to my last Triumph Street Triple. Heck, even the stock windshield on the old KLR650 can't really be counted because it doesn't do much of anything.

• Premium Member
I'll admit it. Sometimes... *sigh* I get a little envious of cruisers I see riding down the interstate in complete comfort behind a riot shield. I've always liked naked bikes though, from the old UJM style to my last Triumph Street Triple. Heck, even the stock windshield on the old KLR650 can't really be counted because it doesn't do much of anything.
Best way to fix that is to not ride the interstate.... :) 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived