• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Matte Paint Finish ?

For those with the matte paint finish, how has it been for durability and ease of care? The look of the '16 matte silver FJ is growing on my but curious how it is to keep the matte finish looking good over time.
Im happy with my matte gray finish. I wash it with normal car soap or dish soap and water. No wax or polish.

Only issue I've had is that I used a magnetic tank bag for a year, and it polished 2 spots on the tank where the magnets attached (I've since covered the area with some vinyl wrap). So of you go with the matte and want a tank bag, spend the extra money on a tank ring lock style bag or some sort of tank protector if you want a magnetic bag.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Thanks! No problems with staining from bug guts if left on for a while between washings?

None. I took a 800 mile round trip during butterfly migration season and there's no evidence of them.

S100 cycle cleaner worked pretty well to get them off.

Sorry to interrupt here, but are we not supposed to wax our matte finish? What will the wax do to the paint? I just bought this bike over the weekend. I'm sure glad I saw this post. 
Thanks, Kevin.

I wax my matte grey bike. It protects the paint.

Sorry to interrupt here, but are we not supposed to wax our matte finish? What will the wax do to the paint? I just bought this bike over the weekend. I'm sure glad I saw this post. 
Thanks, Kevin.
I think there are products that are safe to use on matte finishes, but its always been my understanding that you do not wax matte finishes because when you buff out the wax it will polish the matte finish making it no longer matte.... but I'm just some random guy on the internet.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Page 8-1 of the owners manual says not to wax it. I had a Harley and their manual also says not to wax their "denim" paints.

Chemical guys makes a matte paint safe wax/polish if you really want to use something like that. They also make matte safe soaps.

d13d9c5a9fbb36929c20d8120bf63554.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

The solution!
[span]

I bought this stuff from 'the chemical guys'. Its made for matte paint.
Meticulous Matte Soap, jet seal wax and meticulous matte quick detailer.
I am very pleased with these products.
Oddly enough the quick detailer smells like cinnamon buns, the soap smells like bubble gum, and the jet seal matte smells like some cheap cologne.

The soap goes for about $9, the quick detailer about $10 and the jet seal matte goes for a whopping $55!!! (cuz you know... its made for jets) :D

[/span]IMG_20160908_135802.jpg

After using 'the chemical[span] guys' detailing products.[/span]

I've got a thin application of ACF-50 over the whole bike including the paint work at the moment...gives it a silk finish, but mosty protects from salt and brine (ooh I love the Highways people soooo much) My view is that I will just use a pH neutral degreaser in the spring.

I would think (and I;m just another random guy on the internet) that applying waxes and finishing coats has as much to do with the application (rubbing) of the finish as the actual product that mostly can be washed off with the right "stuff". What I am doing on mine involves no rubbing, just a mist on, and spray off...so we will see.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Archived