FJ-09/MT-09 Tracer/FZ-09 Steering Nut and Bearing Torquing

nsmiller

The 4,000 mile service continues with how to torque the steering head bearings. You need a couple special tools for this job.

1. 27 mm Socket $10
2. Steering Nut Wrench (Can either get stamped tool or socket) $40
3. Torque Wrench $100

If you had to buy all the tools you would still save money (or at least break even) on paying the dealer to do this service. A very easy and straight forward procedure if you have the tools.

[video src=https://youtu.be/HuFyEVn8Bx8]

In addition, the bearings can become loosened over time due to riding on bumpy roads and/or popping wheelies. Really anything that places them under large amounts of stress. Keeping the torque on the bearings correct by checking it every 4000 miles ensures that your bearings will last a long time before needing to be replaced, which is a more difficult complicated job.

... :o kinda in the same way the rear wheel axle nut is.
Sorry for thread hijack, but if the wheel nut torque setting is too high, what do you suggest as an alternative? I did mine up to the spec. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 2 weeks later...
Caliper has both cm on top and inches on bottom. Dial is thousandths of an inch.

Tooth Measurement (6 Teeth):

NOTE: The teeth have a slightly larger inner diameter than the rest of the socket does (which is what was measured). Add a mm or two to get the ID for the teeth.

Socket_Dim1.jpg

Outer Diameter:

Socket_Dim2.jpg

Inner Diameter:

socket_dim3.jpg

I just drew it up based on measured dimensions. And yes, as long as a decent amount of filler plastic is used to spread out the load, it shouldn't have any problem. I can print the tool for $0.05 a gram at my university. Not sure how many grams of plastic this will use, but I imagine the actual printing cost will be about $1 to $2 of PLA plastic. The dimensions the makerbot prints are usually pretty accurate but in my experience they sometimes need to be tweaked to get it to come out just right, so printing a test model or two will likely be necessary.

38 ft*lbs is the torque required to seat the bearings. I'm familiar with PLA, it will depend greatly on the percent fill selected when the object is printed. I expect that this particular design will hold up just fine to the job it is intended for. But I'll test it thoroughly before I start selling it.

38 ft*lbs is the torque required to seat the bearings. I'm familiar with PLA, it will depend greatly on the percent fill selected when the object is printed. I expect that this particular design will hold up just fine to the job it is intended for. But I'll test it thoroughly before I start selling it.

Please do. It's not a mission critical piece where someone would get hurt but if your going to sell it on this forum testing is a must.

Your second link to the tool leads to an FJR1300 tool page, they may be identical, but this one leads to the socket listed for the FJ:

FJ09 Socket Tool

• Thumbsup 1
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold