decreasing radius turn run

• Premium Member
The roads around where I live frankly are crappy. Way too much freeway, toll road, and traffic control.

To liven things up I sometimes seek out tight off ramps, cloverleafs, etc. I'm thinking about pulling out the maps to string this stuff together with intent. Anyone done this?

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Supporting Member
I am very fortunate to live and ride in the Pacific Northwest, the weather may suck at times, but we have no lack of twisty roads or mountain passes!  Between Washington, Oregon and Idaho this is a paradise for motorcyclists.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The roads around where I live frankly are crappy. Way too much freeway, toll road, and traffic control. 
To liven things up I sometimes seek out tight off ramps, cloverleafs, etc. I'm thinking about pulling out the maps to string this stuff together with intent. Anyone done this?
Yup. Not in your area but I used to take "extended" routes to places to maximize the fun on/off ramp. 
Then I started doing trackdays and forgot about that whole business :P

'15 FJ09

An actual decreasing radius turn is quite (if not very) uncommon, even on race tracks. Combination turns with a wider radius leading into a tighter radius then are common on racetracks but uncommon on public roads.

We are fortunate to have a lot of turns here in western NC.

I am being purposely provocative yet accurate as far as I know. Good stuff to think about. I would like being proven wrong. ;-)

Cool! I like that you may have tried.  People tend to go tight on the bars or use an early turn entry to make their own decreasing radius turn.  These "people" include me from time to time.  We have a lot of turns around here and I have made this same challenge to a few friends, usually it is a cause for some rather passionate discussion that can be enlightening. It's motorcycles, always fun!

• Supporting Member
@rustyshackles - I have the same issue with a lack of entertaining roads in my area, and have absolutely created my own paths seeking out whatever fun I can find around here.  Freeway on/off ramps, subdivisions, local farm-to-market roads...  anything that's a diversion from the long, straight, boring sections.   I rode to my mother-in-law's house yesterday afternoon:  The direct route there is about 15 miles, but the indirect - and much more fun - route home is about 35.  It's one of the reasons I prefer to keep the stock exhaust on my bike, as it helps keep a lower profile when strafing through populated areas.

• Supporting Member
What part of TX are you in texscottyd?
Southwest Houston.   There are some great roads in Texas, but the Gulf Coast area around here is pretty flat and featureless... 

Archived