Safety Recall

When I received my recall letter about 3 weeks ago I contacted the dealership where I purchased the FJ. They said they had to have the bike before they could order parts and the first appointment was a month away. I called another dealership (actually one closer to me) and they said they didn't have any info on it and as soon as they did they would call me. I didn't think they actually would. Two weeks later they gave me a call and said they had the parts and they would see me at 9 the next morning. I took it in and was out in 30 minutes. I was very pleasantly surprised to say the least.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I called my dealership over 2 weeks ago. They said they needed to order the parts. I still haven't heard anything back. Tried to get in touch with them yesterday, left a message, but no call back. Weather is getting nice and I want to be riding.

I called my dealership over 2 weeks ago. They said they needed to order the parts. I still haven't heard anything back. Tried to get in touch with them yesterday, left a message, but no call back. Weather is getting nice and I want to be riding.
After my initial call to my dealer, to give them my VIN #, they ordered the parts. The parts took maybe a week to arrive. 

After my initial call to my dealer, to give them my VIN #, they ordered the parts. The parts took maybe a week to arrive.
They finally called back today.  Parts are in, but cannot get me in until Friday to change stuff out

I haven't received a letter yet because I just bought my bike 2 weeks ago. I called Yamaha directly and they said my vin was due for recall. It's too bad they don't call the dealer and have them address the issue on bikes still on the showroom floor that are new. I think I am just going to keep an eye on it and have it fixed at the same time as my first service.

I haven't received a letter yet because I just bought my bike 2 weeks ago. I called Yamaha directly and they said my vin was due for recall. It's too bad they don't call the dealer and have them address the issue on bikes still on the showroom floor that are new. I think I am just going to keep an eye on it and have it fixed at the same time as my first service.
I bought my bike a little over two weeks ago. The dealer told me they found the recall and overnighted the parts so I could take it home before noon the next day.

I have a slightly different story on this recall. I got my recall notice about three weeks ago. Unfortunately it came one day before I had a 2000 mile trip planned. I kind of scoffed at it a little .The dealer even laughed a little bit too and I went on my trip anyways since of course they didn't have the parts. All went fine on the trip and I waited to hear from them for the next week and a half before my next four-day 2000 mile trip. I got home from that trip yesterday and took the bike into the dealer today. Obviously all went well on the trip, I didn't die. Their head mechanic who had done the work and is a very experienced and well-known mechanic in our area told me when I picked it up that my bike was the first of the dozen or so that he had done that actually exhibited the symptoms that the recall referred to. He said when he went to remove the nut from the stud underneath a triple clamp the stud spun out of the handlebar clamp with the nut and it essentially had zero torque on it. I do ride a lot and he said my bike, which has 22,000 miles on it, is the highest mileage example that he had done this recall on. Maybe next time I might take this a little bit more seriously.

• Premium Member
Just had my handlebar recall done without any problems.  My dealer already had the parts and I just had to make an appt and get it done.  My bike has about @ 24,500 miles on it. 

FYI - One bit of new news -  When I was picking up my bike, the service person asked if I had renewed the registration for my license plate yet.  I had already done this in April (before the recall) and asked why.  I was told that (at least in California, don't know about any other states) given that Yamaha has reported the recall to the DMV, you are unable to renew without having had the recall done.  The dealer actually reports the work as being completed to the DMV which clears that bike for license plate renewal.  Apparently another FJ-09 owner had been told by the DMV that he couldn't renew his plates until that report was submitted.

Has anyone else heard about this?  Definitely would affect anyone who did the work themselves (at least in CA).

Got mine done. Spoke with service manager to set up appointment. He told me there are two colors and wanted to confirm which was on my bike. Done in less than 30 minutes on a Saturday. I am glad my dealership is always on top of things.

• Premium Member
Got mine done today. New PR4's as well, oil change, and filter. Two hrs. work at dealership. Life is good. Three recalls on this bike but I gotta say that I absolutely love The FJ09. I drank the Kool-Aid. ;-)
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• 1 month later...
So I got the recall letter a few weeks ago in Bethesda, MD, USA. Called my dealer (who sold me the FJ-09 last August) to schedule it, together with my 4,000-mile service. He said he couldn't order any recall part(s) without checking the VIN personally first! Said it has to fall within certain VIN range to qualify.

I told him exactly what the Yamaha safety recall letter said: this was not optional--but he insisted that he couldn't order the part without seeing the VIN. and removing the bar to see if the work was needed. I offered to read the VIN to him off the registration. No go. Finally, I asked him if there was any way I could schedule the service and safety recall in one trip, and he said no. "This was how Yamaha is doing it."

Anyone else run across this sort of response to a safety recall notice from your dealer?

Archived