Safety Recall

• Premium Member
If your dealer sold you your bike then they should be able to look up your info. SOunds lie your getting the run around.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
So I got the recall letter a few weeks ago in Bethesda, MD, USA. Called my dealer (who sold me the FJ-09 last August) to schedule it, together with my 4,000-mile service. He said he couldn't order any recall part(s) without checking the VIN personally first! Said it has to fall within certain VIN range to qualify. 
I told him exactly what the Yamaha safety recall letter said: this was not optional--but he insisted that he couldn't order the part without seeing the VIN. and removing the bar to see if the work was needed. I offered to read the VIN to him off the registration. No go. Finally, I asked him if there was any way I could schedule the service and safety recall in one trip, and he said no. "This was how Yamaha is doing it."

Anyone else run across this sort of response to a safety recall notice from your dealer?

Yes. I had to deal with this crap, too. 
My dealer here in VA did the same thing. I asked them to order the recall parts kit, they refused, told me I had to bring the bike in first before they could order the kit. They also gave me the song and dance you got. I told them I obviously was very displeased to be required to drop my bike off for "a week or so" for this in the prime time of riding season, and later when Mama Yama emailed me for my feedback on my recent visit for service, I told them quite plainly I thought this policy was bullsh!t. I bought the bike from this dealer, they've serviced it several times before, they have the VIN on file; WHY can't they order the parts beforehand, so I don't have to leave it in their filthy paws for extended time?!?

2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
So I got the recall letter a few weeks ago in Bethesda, MD, USA. Called my dealer (who sold me the FJ-09 last August) to schedule it, together with my 4,000-mile service. He said he couldn't order any recall part(s) without checking the VIN personally first! Said it has to fall within certain VIN range to qualify. 
I told him exactly what the Yamaha safety recall letter said: this was not optional--but he insisted that he couldn't order the part without seeing the VIN. and removing the bar to see if the work was needed. I offered to read the VIN to him off the registration. No go. Finally, I asked him if there was any way I could schedule the service and safety recall in one trip, and he said no. "This was how Yamaha is doing it."

Anyone else run across this sort of response to a safety recall notice from your dealer?

Given that your "dealer" sold you the bike, he should already know your VIN. When I called my dealer they verified my VIN from their records, scheduled my appointment for that week (they already had the needed parts in stock) and I was done.

• Premium Member

I received my riser recall but have not called a dealer yet about it.  However, I did contact a dealer (not the dealer I purchased the bike from) about the CCT issue as my bike was within the VIN range and making noise.  I used the contact form on their website to let them know the issue and my VIN.  Same day reply - no problems, scheduled an appointment one week out, all via email.  Rode it in a week later and had the CCT replaced with updated version (no charge) and had the Dunlop RS3's I brought with me added at both ends. 
They didn't need to hear the CCT making noise first, or see my VIN with their own eyes, or argue that the CCT issue is not a recall, or I didn't buy it at their shop, or anything else.  They fixed it and did it with no hassles.  I will be contacting them for the riser recall for sure.

Not sure what your dealer is doing... but it doesn't sound good.

• Premium Member
Whoever you talked to at that dealer needs to give there head a shake...
Learn some basic (customer service) already.

Was that the service department and can you go over that individuals head to the manager or owner.

• Premium Member
There's no profit in these recalls for the dealers so the crappy ones will jerk you around hoping you'll go away or take your bike elsewhere. If nothing else at least it lets you know where not to take your bike in the future when you will be paying for service.
BLB

There are two Yamaha dealerships near me.  When I received my recall notice I called the one from which I purchased the FJ.  I was told I first had to bring the bike in and at that time they would order the parts.  I called the other dealer and was told they would check on it.  A couple of days later they called me and told me they had the parts and I could bring it in the next day.  I did and it took about 45 minutes.

This sounds utterly ridiculous.  When I called my dealer to get the annual service done they themselves, without prompting, said that they would do the recall at the same time.  The simple act of providing my registration number means they have the VIN number and know that the bike is included in the recall.  Your dealer claiming to have to physically look at the bike must surely be a load of bollocks. 
Furthermore having had the holders changed I noticed, when picking the bike up, that the new holders were a little bit scratched (from transit).  I pointed this out to them and they replaced them on the spot with another set.  They seemed to have a decent stock of holders which would make sense instead of waiting to order parts on a bike to bike basis.

Seems like you've got a pretty naff dealer there.

CS

This sounds utterly ridiculous.  When I called my dealer to get the annual service done they themselves, without prompting, said that they would do the recall at the same time.  The simple act of providing my registration number means they have the VIN number and know that the bike is included in the recall.  Your dealer claiming to have to physically look at the bike must surely be a load of bollocks. 
Furthermore having had the holders changed I noticed, when picking the bike up, that the new holders were a little bit scratched (from transit).  I pointed this out to them and they replaced them on the spot with another set.  They seemed to have a decent stock of holders which would make sense instead of waiting to order parts on a bike to bike basis.

Seems like you've got a pretty naff dealer there.

CS

I don't even know what part was replaced, upper or lower? Mine look the same as before the recall so I doubt it even got done.

Well, I called Yamaha Customer Relations in CA about my recall issue, wherein the dealer I bought my FJ-09 from said he had to see the bike before he could order the recall part, and that therefore it would take two trips to the dealer to get the 4,000-mile service and safety recall work. Having the official Yamaha safety recall letter in hand--with VIN--meant nothing to my dealer.

The Yamaha chap put me on hold for some time, checked in with my dealer, and then returned to say that he backed him up! He said that Yamaha only provided one set of handlebar recall items/bike, and that the dealer didn't want to hold me up by having to order the part and hold the bike for some days until the recall part came. This way, he said, I could ride the bike away after the 4,000-mile service and not get held up waiting for the recall part.

I told him I'd posted my situation on the FJ09 forum and no one else (at that point in time) had heard this from his/her dealer. No joy. Now another poster in VA has had the same experience.

So tomorrow, I go in to the dealer for the 4,000 mile service, they inspect the bike's VIN and order the recall part for another visit down the line. The CA Yamaha guy said they'd expedite the part insofar as possible.

Bizarre--I still don't understand the situation. Maybe I will after tomorrow's service?! Stay tooned...

• Supporting Member
Whenever you get warranty or recall service performed, you will (should) get a survey via email afterward from Yamaha, let them know that their policy is a load of B.S.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My dealer wanted to physically have the letter so they could get the parts ordered free from Yamaha. They said they'd call me when the parts arrived. No call for 2 months. But when I chased it yesterday, they apologised, said come straight in and did it in 20 minutes while I waited. That was fine as they're local to me, but would have been a massive pain if they were further away.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Here's an update:

I called Yamaha Customer Relations in CA last week. They said they'd never heard of the situation I described, and put me on hold to talk to my dealer in MD. Came back to say they backed up my local dealer. So on Saturday, I took my bike in for the 4,000-mile check. They inspected the bike, ordered the recall part, & said they expected it in around a week. I'll have to take the bike back in for that. My dealer also said that they complained to Yamaha about requiring two visits from customers, and that Yamaha agreed that it was ridiculous but didn't change anything. They also said that the Yamaha customer service rep had to talk to his supervisor as well to clarify the situation.

I still think there's some back story they're not telling...

• Premium Member
I had my recall performed at a local dealer in one visit. I get my service performed there so they had my VIN on file. I think the reason some dealers do the two visit requirement is because they are only allowed to order one kit per one VIN number. Dealers DO get paid a reimbursement from Yamaha for performing recall work so this prevents dealers from ordering 100 kits and then being the only dealer capable of performing the recall because nobody else can get the kit.

So now dealers don't want to order the kit and then be stuck with inventory on a motorcycle part that may or may not show up. So they demand a visit to physically check the VIN. Not good customer service for sure and Yamaha can't force a dealer to order a kit without verifying the VIN. It's shortsighted dealer policy.

Archived