Safety Recall

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got mine today. 
Any opinions as to whether I should take my handlebar risers off before I take it in for the recall?
...they might be replacing the lower bar holders... so if you want all your riser pieces back... ::)
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. 
Sigh... ::)

• Premium Member
...they might be replacing the lower bar holders... so if you want all your riser pieces back... ::)
Seems to me that Yamaha is the one making you bring your bike in to replace faulty parts that they pushed through production probably to save a few cents. Since they have to remove your bar clamps anyway it shouldn't be an issue for them to replace your risers and if it is at least you'll only have to do it once when you get it home.
BLB

Seems to me that Yamaha is the one making you bring your bike in to replace faulty parts that they pushed through production probably to save a few cents. Since they have to remove your bar clamps anyway it shouldn't be an issue for them to replace your risers and if it is at least you'll only have to do it once when you get it home.
Yup, you'd think that.  Not enough experience with the service guys at the dealer to know if I can trust them tho.  I've always owned old bikes and fixed them myself. 
Also, I'm thinking of coughing up for the Rox risers as I'd like to move the bars back a tad too.  Even with the risers it's a long reach from the new seat.

Got my recall the other day, interesting that it says that we should not ride the bike until it is addressed. I wonder if Yamaha ASSuMEd that all dealerships would be picking up any bike associated with the recall. Sounds like a liability issue if anyone, under the advice of the dealership, crashes on their way to dealership for the recall.

I'm just getting mine done next time I get the bike serviced, they're only arse covering.

If anything gets loose 99.9% of people would notice before anything significant happens.

My opinion only, terms and conditions apply
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Got my recall the other day, interesting that it says that we should not ride the bike until it is addressed. I wonder if Yamaha ASSuMEd that all dealerships would be picking up any bike associated with the recall. Sounds like a liability issue if anyone, under the advice of the dealership, crashes on their way to dealership for the recall.
That would indeed be an interesting situation, you might be able to argue that with your dealer lol... however I'm sure that wording has more to do with reducing liability than anything else. 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Dang it.. I was hoping I lucked out and my VIN wasn't effected. No such luck, I got the recall notice in the mail today. Now to find time to drop the bike off at the dealer.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I got my notice today. I called my local dealer an the service manager told me he needed my VIN # to order the parts. The needed parts usually take three days to arrive. He said they can schedule the replacement part installation while I wait, but it may take an hour.

In the mean time, I was told I could still ride the bike, but should check to make sure my painted risers are still tight.

I purchased my used Fj-09 from the dealer. Will I receive recall notice or are recall notices issued to new purchases only? Is there a way to check online using VIN number?
The notices come from Yamaha to the owner of the vehicle as registered in their records. Contact Yamaha and get that sorted out.... or you can ask your dealer to do that for you. I'd just contact Yamaha directly.

Thank you. I will contact Yamaha directly.

Archived