Safety Recall

I received a letter from Yamaha (Europe) yesterday, with a recall.

It states that the handlebar bracket can come loose, and result in 'lack of steering'

Spoke to my dealer, and he's had 20 people ring him to book in...

He was telling me that they are changing the rubber bushings in the yoke, but equally he has not heard of any actual problems in the UK (this is Orwell motorcycles in Ipswich ... one of the bigger and respected dealers in the UK, I've been using them for the last 15 years, and I trust them)

On that basis I'm leaving mine to be done until June/July time, I'll just keep an eye on things, but I think I would notice anything loosening up in the steering department.

Anyway not sure if this is just Europe and a specific batch of bikes, or a general design issue inherent in all?

My bike BTW is 2015, with 8000 miles now.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Got my letter yesterday too. Odd since I checked Yamaha site for whether my VIN was due for any "factory modification" work as recently as last Thursday and was told it wasn't. My bike is also a 2015 but the second batch to come into the UK (April) after the initial orders were fulfilled. 

• Premium Member
Got my letter yesterday too. Odd since I checked Yamaha site for whether my VIN was due for any "factory modification" work as recently as last Thursday and was told it wasn't. My bike is also a 2015 but the second batch to come into the UK (April) after the initial orders were fulfilled. 
my bike was the first sold by my dealer in 2015 - registered in Feb 2015 - only the demo bikes came earlier 
I had a letter some time after Good Friday as I have just go back from riding 2020 miles around France, on the other bike.

Phoned Skellerns in Cheltenham. They are reserving a certain number of slots each week so they can rework bikes, do their usual sales preparations and servicing of other models. Earliest slot available now is next month. 

I'm leaving mine until the 18k service as I am up to 16700 miles. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Supporting Member
I stopped by my dealer today and asked about the recall and if my '16 was included, sure enough, will have parts ordered for me.
What parts did they have to order?  I thought the recall was because they didn't loc-tite the nut on the bottom of the handlebar risers... maybe I read this all wrong? 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

What I posted in the other 'intent to recall' thread linked in this thread. 
They replace the lower handle bar holder (I don't know what was different maybe the 'bolt' portion, and the nut with a self locking nut.  I don't know about thread locking compound.  I didn't ask/forgot to ask.

I stopped by my dealer today and asked about the recall and if my '16 was included, sure enough, will have parts ordered for me.
What parts did they have to order?  I thought the recall was because they didn't loc-tite the nut on the bottom of the handlebar risers... maybe I read this all wrong?
As crazyivan mentioned and that the new risers that do not have the paint/powdercoating on the mounting surface. 

• Supporting Member
That makes sense, thanks for the info. I haven't received an official letter yet but will ask my local dealer about it next week when I am in there.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The initial recall notification mentioned that the handle bar nuts could loosen after a shock to the handle bars.  This makes sense as a shock might be needed to loosen the paint from the stud, thus allowing the nut to back off.  Not wanting to accept responsibility for someone else having an accident on my advice, but I checked my handle bar nuts, they're still tight so I plan on riding over to the dealership to have the brackets replaced.

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

Archived