How to move a bike with a motorbike

• Premium Member
That's one way to get it mounted! 

I'm a fan of this setup, built and sold by 2x2cycles 
The racks look solid and not horribly expensive imo.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TxM05RMgyU]  

That's one way to get it mounted!  

I'm a fan of this setup, built and sold by 2x2cycles 
The racks look solid and not horribly expensive imo.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TxM05RMgyU]  

A co-worker had one of these for his Triumph Tiger. He said it works, but you definitely feel the weight of the bicycle back there, especially at higher speeds and a cross-wind at most any speed. He said the biggest reason he quit using it was not the rack itself, it was "you're done with your cycling workout, then have to put on your motorcycling gear after you're hot/sweaty/nasty and ride home after you're worn out."
Keep Asheville weird!

I saw a guy who had something similar to the video posted above, but the bicycle was moved up closer to the rider so it was more along side the motorcycle. Unfortunately I suck at describing things and I don't know what brand or make (could have been custom). So in summary there is another way that's better than the video posted.

'15 FJ09

I agree, after a bicycle ride the last thing you want to do is put on moto gear and ride home. It's a cool idea and looks neat, but I wouldn't put a bike on a moto again.

I made a mount for a previous moto to carry my MTB, then converted the mount to a clamp for my road bike, used it a couple dozen times.
It was a solid mount and not in the way at all, but kinda sketchy having a bicycle next to you, if I crashed it would have been messy.
The last time I used it an L bracket was close to breaking off and my front wheel would have been lost on the freeway.

right.jpg

rear.jpg

Friend pointed me at this thread, I have been using the 2x2 rack and will be taking it on a 4+ week trip around the western US.  I did a week long test to Death Valley with it a couple weeks ago and it was epic and awesome.

Couple points:
The real important part is the strap that goes over the stem.  This cantilevers the weight around your fork mount, preventing massive leverage bouncing around off the back of your bike.

Cross winds - on my trip back from Death Valley, I went over 4 passes during some gusty conditions (30-40 mph) and it wasn't too bad.  You wouldn't want to let go of your bars, but if you're semi-used to riding in the wind, no real issue.

The "bike & moto transform" is definitely some extra time - you gotta do the 'surfer change' with a towel, wipe down with a baby wipe or similar, etc.  I also wear UV blocking clothes instead of putting on a gallon of sunscreen, so that also helps.

wp-1490645639355.jpg?ssl=1&w=800

Archived