My First Yamaha?

vinicio

Hi everybody... I've been riding for nearly 10 years, averaging about 10,000 miles a year over the last few years. I currently ride an Aprilia Futura. I've had a few bikes over the years, but never a Yamaha - I'm hoping the FJ-09 will be my first. As soon as this bike was announced and read all the details I knew that someone had finally made the perfect bike for me. So far everything I've heard confirms that. It's going to be a few months before I pick mine up though - I need to save a little more first. Hopefully by the time I pick mine up the ECU re-flash will be available so I can take it to the track too!  8-) In the meantime I'll be checking things out here and living vicariously through your posts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Welcome vinicio! The FJ is my first Yamaha as well, but I was a Kawasaki rider before, so not that much of a change. :-)
We all have to start some where. Let's see, my first Yamaha motorcycle was a little 175 two stroke enduro. Then I did the mother Honda thing for 3 bikes, then back to Yamaha, FZ1, R1, FJR1300, and now the F-Jay. I like the way the Yamahas fit me for some reason. Never had a Kawi, but here they have come a long way in quality and performance.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I'm a newer rider, so I only have a Ninja 250 and 650 under my belt. The 650 was a great Swiss Army type intermediate bike. Inexpensive, mod-able, and fun on a tight track. I was cross shopping the Nija 1000 against the FJ-09, but the reviews, light weight, and much cheaper insurance won out. I would have been fins with either though. The Ninja 1000 is a killer deal when you can pick up an end of year new leftover for under $10K with side cases.

My first full size bike was a 1968 Yamaha Bonanza(yes I am that old and have been on two wheels that long). This was a 180cc two stroke twin street bike. Purchased at 15yrs old with money saved. Ridden all over town with a dark face shield because I did not have a drivers license. It would do an honest 90mph down hill with the wind. Being on the look out for a larger and faster bike I saw another on the cover of Motorcyclist magazine. It was Yamaha's 1970 R5 350cc road bike. Beautiful white and purple it was love at first sight. Ran down to the Yamaha dealer to buy one. Unfortunately there was only one in the country and it was on tour with Yamaha at all the new bike shows. The dealer said he would try and get it for me. Got the bike straight from the Chicago motorcycle show to my door. Faster than a 750 Honda  or corvette in the 1/4 mile. Cornered like a racer. I don't know what my parents were thinking. Rode that bike while in high school and sold it when I entered the service. Been partial to Yamaha's ever since. Currently own three. Wish I still had that R5. 

Being on the look out for a larger and faster bike I saw another on the cover of Motorcyclist magazine. It was Yamaha's 1970 R5 350cc road bike. Beautiful white and purple it was love at first sight. Ran down to the Yamaha dealer to buy one. Unfortunately there was only one in the country and it was on tour with Yamaha at all the new bike shows. The dealer said he would try and get it for me. Got the bike straight from the Chicago motorcycle show to my door. Faster than a 750 Honda  or corvette in the 1/4 mile. Cornered like a racer. I don't know what my parents were thinking. Rode that bike while in high school and sold it when I entered the service. Been partial to Yamaha's ever since. Currently own three. Wish I still had that R5. 
I've got a 72 R5C that's in pretty nice shape. The pegs have been hacked and the motor swapped for an RD350 mill, but I've got the original R5 motor too.  Fun bikes, even now, though the front drum brake is probably less powerful than the OEM FJ-09 ABS brakes. 
Anyway, my first bike was a 1973 Yamaha GT 80. It had been well used prior to my time with the bike.  I do miss it.

Guest eatpasta
Hi everybody... I've been riding for nearly 10 years, averaging about 10,000 miles a year over the last few years. I currently ride an Aprilia Futura. I've had a few bikes over the years, but never a Yamaha - I'm hoping the FJ-09 will be my first. As soon as this bike was announced and read all the details I knew that someone had finally made the perfect bike for me. So far everything I've heard confirms that. It's going to be a few months before I pick mine up though - I need to save a little more first. Hopefully by the time I pick mine up the ECU re-flash will be available so I can take it to the track too!  8-) In the meantime I'll be checking things out here and living vicariously through your posts.
yeah the FJ ticks nearly all the boxes for quite a lot of us - hence instant popularity of the bike.     The ones of us here that dont have one are desperately trying to figure out a way to finance one (....me) !

welcome to the site!!

Archived