New helmet

tripleb

Hello guys, since I'm an ex Harley rider, most of my helmets are all half helmets, with the exception of an older scorpion full face I'm currently running. I've been looking at a few helmets, and seem to be gravitating towards full face helmet with visors. I know it's probably all for style, but I think they look pretty sweet. Is anyone on this page running any of these types of helmets? If so, I would like to hear your opinions .

Hello guys, since I'm an ex Harley rider, most of my helmets are all half helmets, with the exception of an older scorpion full face I'm currently running. I've been looking at a few helmets, and seem to be gravitating towards full face helmet with visors. I know it's probably all for style, but I think they look pretty sweet. Is anyone on this page running any of these types of helmets? If so, I would like to hear your opinions .

Full face helmets are the only helmets that will actually help you in a wreck. You are facing forward when riding, and in a wreck we go flying face first. I have never understood half helmets.

Full face helmets aren't for style, they are so your face doesn't get peeled off when sliding on the tarmac. This is why racers in any motorsport don't wear half helmets. They are useless.

I suggest starting here https://www.revzilla.com/full-face-motorcycle-helmets

Go to a shop with lots of selection, and try on as many as you want. Then go buy it off the net for a great deal, or negotiate a similar deal from the local shop. ;)

I have my first "sunglasses" drop down visor deal, and I love it. You can ride with the same helmet day or night, and I have a pin-lock anti-fog on my clear main shield, so it does not fog up on the morning ride, while on the ride home, you can drop the "sunglasses" down and it's not too bright.

I wear Rx glasses too, so this works great for me. I don't have to carry my Rx sunglasses anymore. (Or have two screens on the bike at all times in my tank bag.)

Full face helmets are the only helmets that will actually help you in a wreck. You are facing forward when riding, and in a wreck we go flying face first. I have never understood half helmets.  
Full face helmets aren't for style, they are so your face doesn't get peeled off when sliding on the tarmac. This is why racers in any motorsport don't wear half helmets. They are useless.

Obviously someone didn't understand my post. I stated that I have
many half helmets from a previous bike I owned,
and that I'm now using an outdated scorpion full face helmet. Nowhere did I indicate that I'm using a 1/2 helmet or looking
for information on a new one. I was only seeking advice on some of the newer helmets
I've seen around town that are full face in design with visors.

As for using 1/2 helmets, that's my choice. I've used them extensively in the past, and will continue to use them
if I ever venture back into the cruiser market! You may enjoy your white helmets with reflective tape down the sides while sporting a fluorescent neon green riding jacket, but I'll never follow that ridiculous trend.

Obviously someone didn't understand my post. I stated that I have
many half helmets from a previous bike I owned,
and that I'm now using an outdated scorpion full face helmet. Nowhere did I indicate that I'm using a 1/2 helmet or looking
for information on a new one. I was only seeking advice on some of the newer helmets
I've seen around town that are full face in design with visors.

As for using 1/2 helmets, that's my choice. I've used them extensively in the past, and will continue to use them
if I ever venture back into the cruiser market! You may enjoy your white helmets with reflective tape down the sides while sporting a fluorescent neon green riding jacket, but I'll never follow that ridiculous trend.

Yeah, those safety features taught by riding instructors are ridiculous.

I won't fault anyone for their riding gear that I dn't know, as Darwin's Theory always needs new volunteers.

Helmets with Visors are great for low speed. The street helmets with Visors are considered "adventure" helmets because they look kinda like what us dirtbikers wear offroad.

Problem with those visors is at higher speeds, where the wind will catch under the visor and feel like it's gonna rip your head off backwards. But, they are cool looking.

I've got one of these: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-hornet-x2-helmet

Love having the extra shade, and the design is fantastic. Noisy, but very little drag. Looks like the price went up since I got mine though, which is strange. :/

I looked at those Variants, but wanted something with a removable peak, and goggle compatible. Might not matter to you.

Northern FJ, If I'm not mistaken I tried on the doublestack at my local dealer, and it was pretty tight on my cheeks, even after swapping out a set of cheek pads from another helmet. Sweet looking helmet indeed. Kind of reminds me of a jet fighter pilot helmet.

• Premium Member
I bought a new Scorpion EXO- GT920. My first modular helmet. But they have a 950 which is a modular with a visor. And the visor can be removed. Check it out at Revzilla.com. Watch the videos.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

This pic from my crash last year shows why I recommend a full face helmet.  
02_2016_09_12_04_Accident_Helmet.jpg

Archived