modified fjr windshield

firus

the more i used the stock shield the more i hated it…noisy, buffeting and poor coverage. Coming from an fjr, I didn't much like the looks either. Someone else on the forum had pics of an fjr shield that he cut down to fit (can't seem to find the post…but thanks for the idea ) . I still had an old screen kicking around so I decided to give it a try… cut off most of bottom, trimmed the sides and added an old lip that has been on numerous bikes over the last 20 years…..wow, this combo is incredible.  big area of quiet air, no buffeting and even looks decent (my opinion). This is definitely staying on the bike… finally my sport tourer

file://localhost/Users/garthfirus/Desktop/IMG_0383.JPG

To post pics on the forum click the button that says "add image to post" then choose the pic from your computer, then click upload. It will place the pic code in your post for you.

• 5 months later...
How tall are you and what is your inseam?
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

• Supporting Member
Link to modified DIY windscreen from a FJR Touring unit. Windscreen31.jpg

The lines match great.  It looks like it could be an oem touring screen.  How much airflow do you get in the summer? or is that only a winter screen? 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

firus and betoney,

Interesting. Those two FJR windscreens look different. Are they different types? Touring and regular? Or is one an OEM screen and the other an optional accessory windscreen?

What model years are each of those two FJR windscreens from?
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

my shield was an old one off my 06 fjr… just cut off the bottom and reshaped the top a bit.  since then I have added a adjustable top ... an mra x screen ( came off of some mini windshield I bought for $10 ha)…like it a lot
IMG_0755.jpg

firus and betoney, 
Interesting. Those two FJR windscreens look different. Are they different types? Touring and regular? Or is one an OEM screen and the other an optional accessory windscreen?

What model years are each of those two FJR windscreens from?
OEM Touring windscreen for a Gen 1 FJR  03-05.  Worked better than the National Sport Touring windscreen I replaced it with after the deer strike.  I have been looking ever since for another OEM Touring windscreen to modify just as I did with the first one.  Knowing at a 40-50 dollar investment in a good used windscreen that works exceptionally well for me.  I'm 5-8 and plenty of wind comes over the top to make it usable in the summer, but I live in the PNW and not AZ.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

i made a 2nd copy of my windshield …. this one came from a bigass cruiser shield that i found in the bargain bin at my local bike shop…$20. Some jigsaw and belt sander work and its great. Nice and clear as opposed to the first which was worn and scratched from years on my old fjr. The new one has an xscreen top which leaves a nice smooth air flow,even better than the rubber lip on my first effort. I'm 6 ft and 31 inch inseam

• 7 months later...

Archived