Removing the plastic guard on the clutch cover...

The plastic guard on the clutch cover snags on my riding pants whenever I lift my foot from the ground to the peg to start moving from a stop.  I'm tired of it.

Can this plastic piece be removed without issue or difficulty?  Would the screws be too long with the piece removed, do they need to be cut down?

• Supporting Member
I am trying to visualize how that is possible. The plastic cover on mine is snug to the clutch housing with no rough edges, I wear textile riding pants and have never had that happen. Could it possibly be how close you have your leg to the engine while stopped? or something on your pants leg that is protruding?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My riding pants (Rev'it Factor 3) have zippers that go up inner leg. There's a flap that covers the zipper. The forward "point" of the guard (i.e. the part directly above the second A in Yamaha) catches on the zipper flap when I move my leg reward to the peg. It is not an issue when I'm wearing jeans.

The guard on my bike doesn't sit perfectly flush to the clutch cover.  It's plastic and only held on by those two screws on the edge, so there's a decent amount of wiggle to it.

BJN47340.jpg

My riding pants (Rev'it Factor 3) have zippers that go up inner leg. There's a flap that covers the zipper. The forward "point" of the guard (i.e. the part directly above the second the A in the picture below) catches on the zipper flap when I move my leg reward to the peg. It is not an issue when I'm wearing jeans. 
BJN47340.jpg
I guess you could remove that guard altogether, and/ or there's undoubtedly someone making Carbon (or lookalike) replacement covers that might be better. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I guess you could remove that guard altogether
Removing it is what I asked about in my initial post!  It's just a heat shield and I don't wear shorts on the bike.  It's not on any of the 2017 CP3 bikes so presumably Yamaha didn't think it was worth the trouble anymore either. 
Obviously there's nothing more to it than removing those two screws, taking off the guard, and putting the screws back in.  My question is, will I need to cut down those screws because they're too long with the guard removed, or are the screw holes in the clutch housing deep enough to accommodate the cover being removed.

Unfortunately I don't have a tool to cleanly cut a machine screw (Dremel). I can borrow one from a friend though - hence why I'm trying to figure out beforehand if I'll need it before I try doing this.

I haven't gotten around to trying this yet - but as a point of interest, I went to a Yamaha demo and saw that on the 2017s they haven't actually removed the guard - they made it bigger. Now the entire clutch cover is, well, covered a by full size plastic piece on top of it.

The clutch cover gets pretty hot, I would not trust anything I try stick on there to cover the snag point to hold up to the heat.

I'm sure washers would work if the screw is too long, but I'm too pedantic to stick a bunch of washers on there just to take up space. I'd rather cut the screw for a "cleaner" solution. New screw can always be bought if necessary to put the guard back on.

• Supporting Member
My riding pants (Rev'it Factor 3) have zippers that go up inner leg. There's a flap that covers the zipper. The forward "point" of the guard (i.e. the part directly above the second A in Yamaha) catches on the zipper flap when I move my leg reward to the peg. It is not an issue when I'm wearing jeans.
Both pair of my Tourmaster pants have the flap and zipper on the outside of the leg, the inside is smooth.  I can sure see where it could catch if they were on the inside of the leg. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived