Suspension link removal

scaley

I'm changing my links in order to raise the suspension. It was easy on the FJR and the XT1200Z, but looking at the FJ09 its all a bit cramped. Its easy enough to do the lower linkage bolt , but the upper ?  Do I have to remove the whole suspension arm to get at that ?

...I used a flex box end wrench for that (photo). Torque values need adjusting a tad when using offset tools...

Could you elaborate on how the torque values need to be adjusted? As in, do you set the wrench higher or lower than recommended torque values?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I've never seen flex head box end 3/8" drive "sockets" like those and do not understand how they work.

However, would flex head ratcheting box end wrenches work (see below), and what size wrench is needed?

Sears_flex_head_ratcheting_box_end_wrench_set_pr.jpg

Could you elaborate on how the torque values need to be adjusted? As in, do you set the wrench higher or lower than recommended torque values?
I had to lower the value on the wrench just a bit as the overall length of the arm increased a little in my case. See this link...

http://cncexpo.com/torqueadapter.aspx
Thanks! That's a useful link too!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I've never seen flex head box end 3/8" drive "sockets" like those and do not understand how they work. 
However, would flex head ratcheting box end wrenches work (see below), and what size wrench is needed?

Sears_flex_head_ratcheting_box_end_wrench_set_pr.jpg

These are great, but won't work with the torque wrench (you can always just do it by feel... but I had the tools). The flex box end wrenches are 1/2" drive. The nut is 14mm.
After wrenching on land bound and airborne conveyances since 1973, I've mutated and developed a "torque" (stress / strain meter in my right wrist; similar to a Skidmore-Wilhelm Model J would.

• Supporting Member
...this is where you get with the lower link bolt undone and the rear shock mount bolt removed (photo). Removing the bolts is easier than torquing them down... I used a flex box end wrench for that (photo). Torque values need adjusting a tad when using offset tools. 

shock.png

wrench.png

I have actually never seen those before.  More tools on the wish list now... Thanks  ;) 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I don't know what the torque values on the linkage bolts are and don't care. Mine were too tight from the factory and causing too much drag in the linkage. I use non-permanent lock tight on the threads and snug them up just enough to get the play out without binding.

What are you trying to accomplish by raising the rear end? Too much forward chassis pitch may cause high speed instability and wobbles and/or set up cornering characteristics meant for race track corners, making street performance worse.

Archived