Surprise, Mustang Boy!

Riding up to grandson's graduation and a new-ish Mustang pulled up behind me at a stop sign and started blipping the throttle.

So, being basically 16 at heart, as soon as I turned onto the highway, I went WFO and ran 'er up through the gears.

About a mile later, after I'd slowed down to the limit, the 'Stang went flying by me so I said "Really?" and twisted the wick again and pulled right up behind him.

I'd have loved to been a fly on the rear view mirror in that car.

Oh, and BTW, it feels really weird when the governor kicks in and chops power... 8D

• Premium Member
Riding up to grandson's graduation and a new-ish Mustang pulled up behind me at a stop sign and started blipping the throttle. 
So, being basically 16 at heart, as soon as I turned onto the highway, I went WFO and ran 'er up through the gears.

About a mile later, after I'd slowed down to the limit, the 'Stang went flying by me so I said "Really?" and twisted the wick again and pulled right up behind him.

Oh, and BTW, it feels really weird when the governor kicks in and chops power... 8D
I see an ECU flash in your future... :^)

You're only as old as you feel. I don't think I'll ever grow up either
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

• Premium Member
Mustang weight 3760
FJ-09 Weight 462

Mustang HP 526
FJ-09 HP 118

I'm pretty sure the Mustang can't overcome the weight to HP ratio, but people in cars that want to race motorcycles don't have a lot of common sense anyways........

• 2 weeks later...
Mustang weight 3760 FJ-09 Weight 462

Mustang HP 526
FJ-09 HP 118

I'm pretty sure the Mustang can't overcome the weight to HP ratio, but people in cars that want to race motorcycles don't have a lot of common sense anyways........
That HP number is for a GT350; the GT makes 425 lb/ft of torque, so it actually has an advantage relative to the weight of the vehicle, since an FJ with a rider on board weighs more than 462 lbs; probably more like 600+ for most adults.   
The big advantage bikes have is in starting the drive out of a corner so much harder than a car.  A performance car (driven by someone with some skill) can actually carry speed in some corners.  I had a C6 Corvette for 12 years (traded for a GT350 in late March).  One cold Saturday I got a late start on a ride and hopped in the Corvette and accompanied my pals on their bikes.  It surprised me how easy it was to keep their pace (the car was an 05 and the bikes were a VFr and a couple of 929's) At mid range the car makes amazing power, and a torquey motor requires a lot less shifting in corners.  

But I agree that most drivers in most cars are pretty easy to get ahead of and stay there.  

Mustang weight 3760 FJ-09 Weight 462

Mustang HP 526
FJ-09 HP 118

That HP number is for a GT350; the GT makes 425 lb/ft of torque, so it actually has an advantage relative to the weight of the vehicle, since an FJ with a rider on board weighs more than 462 lbs; probably more like 600+ for most adults.   
The big advantage bikes have is in starting the drive out of a corner so much harder than a car.  A performance car (driven by someone with some skill) can actually carry speed in some corners.  I had a C6 Corvette for 12 years (traded for a GT350 in late March).  One cold Saturday I got a late start on a ride and hopped in the Corvette and accompanied my pals on their bikes.  It surprised me how easy it was to keep their pace (the car was an 05 and the bikes were a VFr and a couple of 929's) At mid range the car makes amazing power, and a torquey motor requires a lot less shifting in corners.  

But I agree that most drivers in most cars are pretty easy to get ahead of and stay there.  

Sport bikes almost always win with power to weight/0-60 times due to low weight.  Sport cars almost always win with cornering traction with 4 flat bottom tires vs 2 rounded tires.  Of course exception apply to any generality.  Fortunately for us here, most instances of feeling 16 at heart we encounter on the street favor the 0-60 times and it takes a rare car to beat the even modest FJ.  Just watch out for the rare tesla with ludicrous speed.  

Archived