Best fitting engine case covers? R&G, GB, Woodcraft?

Hi there!

I'd like to get some opinions (and maybe install pics??) on engine case covers.

I'm talking the kind that add on to the OEM engine covers, not any sort of replacement. You take out 3-4 bolts and put the covers on top of the OEM covers. I think a lot of people use them for track days, but I'd like to protect my pretty inline 3 from scratches, dents, etc. :)

Like these:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gb-racing-engine-cover-set-yamaha-fz-09-fj-09-xsr900

Or these:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-racing-engine-cover-kit-yamaha-fz-09-fz-09-xsr900

Or any other brands.. woodcraft, etc?

I appreciate any opinions or advice. My main goal is to protect the engine from slow drops and tips; in a major crash the engine would not be my main concern!

I think fitment would be the number one quality I'm looking for... as in, which brand has the best fitment onto this particular engine, and would install very nicely without any slop?

Thanks!

• Premium Member
Hi there! 
I'd like to get some opinions (and maybe install pics??) on engine case covers.

I'm talking the kind that add on to the OEM engine covers, not any sort of replacement. You take out 3-4 bolts and put the covers on top of the OEM covers. I think a lot of people use them for track days, but I'd like to protect my pretty inline 3 from scratches, dents, etc. :)

Like these:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gb-racing-engine-cover-set-yamaha-fz-09-fj-09-xsr900

Or these:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-racing-engine-cover-kit-yamaha-fz-09-fz-09-xsr900

Or any other brands.. woodcraft, etc?

I appreciate any opinions or advice. My main goal is to protect the engine from slow drops and tips; in a major crash the engine would not be my main concern!

I think fitment would be the number one quality I'm looking for... as in, which brand has the best fitment onto this particular engine, and would install very nicely without any slop?

Thanks!

I have Woodcraft paired with SW-Motech crash bars. They are a bit spendy, but look great and function quite well. Can definitely attest to the low speed drop capability. Got a scratch on the crash bars easily remedied with a Sharpie....and paint is always cheaper than a cracked case. Just my opinion, but it's a hard combination to beat! 

• Premium Member
Good video on installing the GB Racing covers. Give me a minute and I'll post pics of my bike (and the problem I had).

GB fit well. I have Shogun sliders instead of the water pump cover. Install went fine EXCEPT 2 bolts were the wrong size and I couldn't tighten down on them.

5303266.jpg  

5303267.jpg

I have Woodcraft paired with SW-Motech crash bars. They are a bit spendy, but look great and function quite well. Can definitely attest to the low speed drop capability. Got a scratch on the crash bars easily remedied with a Sharpie....and paint is always cheaper than a cracked case. Just my opinion, but it's a hard combination to beat!
Oh cool, I've got the SW-Motech crash bars too! And my FJ is red.. oh man, now it sounds like I'm cloning your bike! 8-)

Can you tell me where you purchased your Woodcraft engine case covers? Were they easy to install (Yes, I know engine covers are one of the easiest things to install, but a little bit of extra R&D by a company can separate their product from a more generic product that fits "98%" versus 100%).

Higdonion Cage...add the upper crash bars you got a combat ready FJ-09 ?
Yeah, I took a hard look at the Higdonion cage, and was really close to getting it because of all the great reviews here on FJ-09.org... But, I decided I didn't want a tank, I wanted an FJ-09 that had good crash/drop protection. I tend to spend more money on protecting myself and my passengers in case of a crash, and sometimes that includes adding things to the bike (lights, etc.). 

I have a dual sport, so when I get the urge to go off road, I ride it. I admire anyone who converts their FJ into an "ADV" ride, but for me, it's for commuting, weekend trips, and "spirited" road riding! :D

Good video on installing the GB Racing covers. Give me a minute and I'll post pics of my bike (and the problem I had).

GB fit well. I have Shogun sliders instead of the water pump cover. Install went fine EXCEPT 2 bolts were the wrong size and I couldn't tighten down on them.

Oh I was just going to ask about the water pump cover but then re-read your post (reading comprehension challenged!). 
I like how those look, too. (GB Racing).

I forget where I was reading it, but I read somewhere some guy got the R&G Racing ones, and they came with a bag of hardware. And there were two sizes of black spacers, like T-spacers, or perhaps "standoffs" and couldn't figure out if they were supposed to already be in the plastic engine covers, or if he had to install it. He said he emailed R&G (in England, I think), and they wrote back something vague about those spacers being accidentally put into the hardware bag and likely not needed.

So that's why I was asking about fitment between the major brands, because engine covers should be easy, and I don't want to mess around with "maybe there's some extra hardware we sent in the kit".

Thanks for the photos and video!!!

• Premium Member
Oh cool, I've got the SW-Motech crash bars too! And my FJ is red.. oh man, now it sounds like I'm cloning your bike! 8-)  
Can you tell me where you purchased your Woodcraft engine case covers? Were they easy to install (Yes, I know engine covers are one of the easiest things to install, but a little bit of extra R&D by a company can separate their product from a more generic product that fits "98%" versus 100%).

I'm pretty sure I got them at Revzilla. Piece of cake to install, every bit of 15 minutes. Great minds run in the same direction! 8-)  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived