Can FJ-09 Handle the Heat?

So I'm flying the LA to pick up a 2016 FJ-09 and riding it back home to CO. I'll be leaving the dealership at likely 11ish on Sunday. Even if I dink around on Angles Crest for a while this still puts me riding through Baker to Vegas during the hot hot part of the day. I'll be running an evaporative vest but how does the FJ handle heat? I did a quick search and didn't see anything concerning overheating issues.

My experience is the bike seems to run hot to begin with. Fast highway speeds with the temps in the mid 60's I'm running 185. 80's or 90's and the bike runs in 215-220 range. No idea at what coolant temp the bike starts throwing warning messages as it hasn't happened yet. I'm in Denver and my buddy is in Colorado Springs and we both bought red 15's for camp bikes. We both have the same observation on coolant temps so we know its a common thing with these bikes, at least at altitude.
May want to bring an Air Hawk or something (bike shorts) for the seat as it is lacking on long term comfort. 

Thanks, just added sheep skin to my pre trip check list. I've crossed this part of the desert this time of the year for past Laguan Seca trips so I've at least got a little bit of an idea what type of suffering I'm in for.

• Premium Member
Thanks, just added sheep skin to my pre trip check list. I've crossed this part of the desert this time of the year for past Laguan Seca trips so I've at least got a little bit of an idea what type of suffering I'm in for.
Maybe you should add a fan, you know, to keep you cool...... 

hehehehe

A few weeks ago I took I-8 from San Diego to Tucson. The bike air temp sensor claimed 107 most of the way, and for about 20 minutes, I was crawling through a jam that was the result of an accident and it showed 117. The fan was screaming of course, but engine temp didn't show past 220, and nothing felt funny.

last weekend I took a trip through vegas to zion.. average 107 temps. For a few minutes while in line to get into zion the temp gauge hit 227. But it usually hovered around 210 or so unless I was moving 30 mph or more it dropped to around 200. I run engine ice as well. But no warning lights or anything. The harleys I was with started going into shut down/limp mode.

• Premium Member
last weekend I took a trip through vegas to zion.. average 107 temps. For a few minutes while in line to get into zion the temp gauge hit 227. But it usually hovered around 210 or so unless I was moving 30 mph or more it dropped to around 200. I run engine ice as well. But no warning lights or anything. The harleys I was with started going into shut down/limp mode.
Air cooling vs liquid cooling.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

The owner's manual lists a max temp of 230 degrees F. That's really hot. The thermostat appears to be
opening at 185. On every liquid cooled bike I've ever had, I felt the fan came on too late. I don't see why
they wouldn't turn the fan on once it reaches operating temp, like a car. In Arizona heat, by the time the
fan turns on it's almost too late, and in stop and go traffic it sometimes can't keep up.

Engines like a constant temp, not wild fluctuations. That stresses things thermally.

So...I always wire in another relay in parallel with the fan relay, then actuate it from a handlebar mounted
switch. With it wired this way, it won't stay on once the ignition is off, so you won't have to worry about it
draining your battery when you're parked if it gets switched on.

Once the bike warms up and goes past 185 I turn it on unless I'm able to travel at speed consistently.
It really helps.

I drew up a schematic with color codes etc if anyone needs it. PM me and I'll be glad to provide it.

Fan_switch.png

This is where I mounted the fan switch. Sorry it's so fuzzy, but it's the little toggle switch on the right side of the
left grip's switch pod, just below the centerline.  I sealed the switch toggle with a small amount of black silicone.

Thanks for the input, I'm less worried give your guys experinace in stop and go traffic. I don't expect and serious trafffic on a Sunday afternoon and should be able to keep moving. I always do worry about and accident causing stopped traffic and I'm in full gear in 115*F degree heat. I've been force to split lanes in this situation in PHX but have never had to explain my self to cop doing this.

So anybody know what temp the warning light will start flashing? Just saw your post DMan, thanks!

One benefit of reflashing the ECU is adjusting the temperature at which the fan kicks on. I have the 2wheeldyno flash, and have never seen my bike exceed 210 operating temp, even in +100 degree stop and go riding. I'm not sure exactly when the fan kicks on though...

So I'm flying the LA to pick up a 2016 FJ-09 and riding it back home to CO. I'll be leaving the dealership at likely 11ish on Sunday. Even if I dink around on Angles Crest for a while this still puts me riding through Baker to Vegas during the hot hot part of the day. I'll be running an evaporative vest but how does the FJ handle heat? I did a quick search and didn't see anything concerning overheating issues.
I haven't heard of any melting so far. I am sure Yamaha thought about that when they designed the fan. It likely only switches on and drains the engine power when it is really needed. 

"Thanks for the input, I'm less worried give your guys experinace in stop and go traffic. I don't expect and serious trafffic on a Sunday afternoon and should be able to keep moving. I always do worry about and accident causing stopped traffic and I'm in full gear in 115*F degree heat. I've been force to split lanes in this situation in PHX but have never had to explain my self to cop doing this. 
So anybody know what temp the warning light will start flashing? Just saw your post DMan, thanks!"

Temp gauge for me today read 110f, bike would heat up to 220f and then fans kick on and then came back down to 190. Daily driving this thing the last 2 years in this heat and zero issues yet knock on wood. This is in stop and go with me splitting. I do have to stand up every now and then to let the sweat waterfall out though.  

The fans are powerful enough that i dont think you will ever see the warning light unless you actually having a cooling/fan issue.

2015 EffJay 09, 2014 F150 Raptor, 2004 WRX STI & 79 Ford Bronco

Mine runs about 90 degrees F above air temp, in general, if it keeps moving. This is pretty much at sea level.
If I ever find that blasted fan relay, (please please if you have the manual, could you look it up?) I'm going to wire in a timer relay to the coil side.
For about 12 bucks, you can get a little multi use programmable that will do anything you desire. In my case, a push-button to make it run for 60 seconds or so then shut off.
I'd rather get the ECU reflashed to take care of it but as far as I know nobody's succeeded in flashing the 2017's yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived