Fuel consumption in A mode

mk9spit

During a ride in West Virginia I decided to try A mode.  Without changing riding style, I realized that the bike display showed a lower fuel consumption figure.  At the next stop I mentioned this and another rider, who owns Yamaha snow machines, said that they had seen the same results last winter.  There was no super aggressive riding...if you are familiar with mountain riding in this area, you know that maintaining the posted limit of 55 mph is quite a feat.  We attempt to ride at a steady pace of  approx. 60 mph. without any bum puckering braking events.  Difficult to do when you are sometimes looking down at an acute angle into the next 60 or 70 degree turn.

A mode is the most powerful map hence more fuel is needed to maintain that power...B mode is about 20hp lower than A mode which needs leaa fuel to maintain power... I switch to B mode on long trips which helps extend my range...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

A mode is the most powerful map hence more fuel is needed to maintain that power...B mode is about 20hp lower than A mode which needs leaa fuel to maintain power... I switch to B mode on long trips which helps extend my range...
The OP is saying he is experiencing a LOWER fuel consumption while on his trip in A mode. Which is the opposite of what would be expected. Although I guess for this to really be the case you would have to make the same trip, at the same speeds, temperature, etc, etc in each mode to really know for sure. I end up riding B a lot myself since I'm still new to the bike and I apparently haven't learned to manage the twitchy throttle LOL ...I haven't even touched A mode much.

I thought all 3 modes put out the same power just the response was different?
A-mode and Standard have the same peak output. B-mode is reduced (unless you have had your ECU flashed).

To the OP. I noticed a small gain in MPG when I switched from riding in STD to A-mode. I attributed it to myself being more diligent with throttle control. However, now that I have an exhaust and ECU flash, i have noticed my MPG go down... most likely from turning the throttle a lot more.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I just spoke to Pres. of Yamaha Canada, who lives up the street.  He is going to pass it by the tech wizards.  It does not make sense but the snow machine guys reported the same results and I KNOW they are never off the throttle.

• 3 weeks later...
So while one may initially think Std mode is better for fuel economy, thinking about it... the "A" mapping which is suppose to be more responsive maybe also more efficient, maintaining better a/f ratio etc... and in turn return better MPG... then again, I'm not an engineer nor a mechanic but I like this thought. another "reason" to just use A mode all the time :D

I Just twist the throttle and smile :)

So I rode my first 900 miles or so on the fj in std mode, pretty much stayed at a steady 49mpg the entire time. I've spent the last 400 miles in only A mode, and now my dash reads 52mpg and even was up around 54 for a day or so. I don't know folks I'd say case closed A mode ftw. :D
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

Archived