shock spring - 600 or 550?

madcat

I am seriously thinking of getting an aftermarket shock absorber.  I weigh 150 lbs, 175 with gear.  If I back off the preload of the rear shock to position 3 the ride is more compliant but the rear squats when accelerating out of a corner.  Didn't really understand this at first, because apparently the front becomes all vague that's the effect of the rear shock squatting. On position 5 rear doesn't squat but I feel every bump.  I also can't seem to find a sweet spot on the rebound adjustment. Rear of the bike either feels loose or too 'tight'. Hope that makes sense, because I don't know any other way of putting it.

Based on my weight, plus my Fj has the oem hard side bags, should I go with a 600 spring or a 550?  

I really want to get this right when I order the shock, so please chime in.

You should go with recommendation of whoever you order shock from, but my guess would be 500 lb, maybe less, especially if you do not intend to ride two up or carry a lot of weight in bags. PS, I found Race Tech recommendations to be way off.

im 175 in gear... front preload is cranked down to the 3rd line from  the top with 8 clicks out..rear is 5th notch and 1.5 turns out... stable at all speeds, no wobbles at 140mph...tires are set at 30/30 PSI... had tire pressure at 34/36 and the corner tip in was skeptical...30/30 it's just drops nicely into a corner for me and the suspension felt much more in tune front to back... had no problems at Grattan Raceway last month with these settings so I kept em for street use, was able to use the entire tire width with neither tires sliding out, maybe a little tiny mini slip but that don't bother me... 

stock suspension is ment for the avg skinny 130lb from asia... once you go past a 200lb rider the suspension needs to be upgraded according to general forum chatter...

Norwest Suspension can rebuild/revalve the OEM shock which is far cheaper than a new shock...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

my 2016 FJ09 is governed at 115mph, how are you getting speeds of 140mph? 

ECU flashed by 2WDW using Woolich Racing and Graves Exhaust w/ block off plates...140mph in 6th gear is approx 10k rpms, after that your not gonna go much faster with changing sprocket sizes...

in stock settings from the factory the US spec FJ-09 is speed limited to 115mph in 5th and 6th gears...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

550 lb/in is plenty. unless you're carrying a ton of weight in the bags. are you really 175 in gear? +15lbs is the more customary figure.
2 pc leather, boots and helmet. I weighed myself wearing all that on the bathroom scale. it came out to like 174.x so I rounded it off to 175. 
Thanks for the input everyone!

Archived