• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Stock Tire Life

Just wondering how many miles/Kms I will get out of my stock tires. I have almost 6000 km's on my bike now and may be doing a long range trip to the American Southwest. By the time I leave for that trip I will probably have another 1000 km's on the stock tires. The trip would be approx 7000 km's. Should I change them before I leave or would I be good to go?

• Premium Member
If it were me. Change them for some dual compound tires before the trip. Dunlop Road Smarts and Michelin Pilot Roads are my favorites. YMMV

On edit:

Yes. You have life left in the stock D220's. They're not a "bad" tire, but they are a single compound low end tire with almost 4,000 miles on them

Your are talking about a 4,500 mile trip. The D220's will not last the trip IMO. Unless you pre-stage tires at a shop somewhere on your route you will be stuck with whatever tires are at the shop you are near at the time. Could be they have what you want, or not.

I ride my bike locally almost everyday. If there's a problem it's not really a big deal

Trips, and especially long trips on your bike are a special treat. Before a trip I do everything in my power to make sure there are no potential problems.

I'm on these trips to have fun and see things in a different way. Not to work on the bike away from my tools on the side of the road.

If tires are close to replacement or won't last the trip safely. New without question. Chain and sprockets same thing.  etc, etc.

There are people riding around the world and on trips longer than any maintenance schedule. 

On a 4,500 mile trip in the US I would have all maintenance and replacement stuff that is close to it's end of life expectancy done.  

That's just the way I do things. YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
A lot of if depends on how you ride and what kind of tire wear you are experiencing with the stock tires.   I got 4,800 miles (which I think is about 7,700 km) out of the stock D222s, and swapped them for Michelin PR4s.  At about 2,000 miles, the PR4s still look new, and are a big improvement to the overall handling of the bike. 

If it were me, I'd spoon on new rubber right before your trip, and not have to worry about replacing tires somewhere along the way.

• Supporting Member

I picked up a nail in mine at only 4,000 miles. Luckily I had a fresh set of Pirelli Angel GT's sitting in the garage. The difference in feel was very definite and noticeable immediately.
I ride fairly aggressive in fast mountain twisties and sweepers, at 4,000 miles mine looked well over halfway used up. Though depending on your riding style, there are those who claim to get over 10,000 miles, even over 12,000 miles out of the stock tires.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
...there are those who claim to get over 10,000 miles, even over 12,000 miles out of the stock tires.
And we politely call these people 'missing the point of the FJ entirely'  :) 

• Supporting Member
...phew!!!...junior squeezes in at just under at 15K km. Been called names before, but 'missing the point of the FJ entirely' would leave a scar ??? .

No offense intended at all, my friend. I just can't fathom getting literally double the mileage out of the tires... I suspect a lot of it is local climate (extra toasty) and road surface (lots of high aggregate abrasive pavement).
I guess my propensity to drag hard parts on occasion might have something to do with it, too...

• Premium Member
I got 10,000kms out of the stock tires. lol
I blame all the straight-long-endless roads around here...

Now running PR4s. 1,200kms so far and loving them!

Archived