Best touring (straight line) rear tire?

Unfortunately down here in the flatlands of Texas, there's not much use for more than the middle two inches of our rear tires, so that's what wears out fastest for sure. I do mainly two up riding with my girl, and so looking for longevity from a tire, rather than corning performance. Can anyone recommend a long lasting rear tire, from actual experience?

• Premium Member
Michelin road pilot 4. Wears like iron and IMHO the best wet weather tire out there. I got close to 15,000 miles on my first set and I could have gone longer. Handles great. I'm in Florida where most roads by me are flat. I've heard the motorcycle cops use them.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I have a set of Michelin PR4Gt's and very happy with the ware factor. I have ridden about 8000km and very little rounding so far. I do find its getting a little bit squirrely when I hit it hard going right or left after a stop.

PR4's for me too, just had some fitted pre trip (France, Italy, Austria, Germany then UK) done over 3,000 miles now (in 7 days) and still look like new, that was riding thru' the Alps including the Stelvio Pass 8-)

You might take a look at the brand new Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires which have been engineered specifically for higher mileage compared to the PR4s.

I just put a Roadsmart 3 on the back of my FJ-09 and so far I am really impressed by the handling (especially when compared  compared to the the PR4's on my FJR1300, admittedly a much heavier bike) I will give a full report after I get a new Roadsmart 3 installed on the front next week.

Dunlop also claims the Roadsmart 3s will continue to handle right up to the very end of the tire life on them. This certainly isn't the case with PRs which can definitely "go off" as  end of their tire life approaches. I had one rear PR3 "go off" so badly on my VFR800 that they made the bike virtually un-rideable (and truly scary) despite the fact that the wear marks hadn't been reached.

Be very wary about other, usually cheaper, tires that claim extremely  high mileage. They are usually  as hard as rocks and in an emergency situation where you have to make a quick turn, might definitely present a problem.

Read about the Roadsmarts here:

http://lovedunlop.com/roadsmart3/en/

Pirelli Angel GT are also getting very good reviews
I don't have any experience with the Angel GT in a 180 width, but the 160 width my last bike used didn't last long. I burned through an Angel GT in about half the mileage as I was getting from PR4.  
YMMV of course. The Angel GT was a fantastic feeling tire and stuck really well (perfect for the Colorado trip I mounted it for), it just wasn't a king of longevity.

trey

Pirelli Angel GT are also getting very good reviews
I have one of these on the rear and I really like it in both wet and dry. Dual composite with harder compound in the centre and stickier rubber at the edges for better grip.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived