Getting on and Off the Bike When Loaded (The Bike not Me)

• Premium Member
I just can't get this out of my mind...  

Ouch, that had to hurt! 
not to mention possibly breaking both her legs

Great question, and likely something a lot of riders have to think about.  I am 54 and 5' 9-10" and had a KLR before my FJ-09.  With the KLR I would step on the left foot peg with my left foot and swing my right leg over when the bike wasn't loaded.  I had severe arthritis in my right hip so it was difficult to swing the right leg over when I had some soft cases and a large 90L Northface bag on the luggage carrier.  What I would do is to step up on the left foot peg with my left foot and instead of swinging my right leg over the back and tail bag, I would bring my right knee forward towards so that there was enough clearance to swing my right foot over the seat itself, but in front of the luggage bag on the back.  To get off I would actually put the side stand down, leaned the bike on the side stand as normal and then step off the right side of the bike and put my right leg on the ground and lift my right leg as high as possible and drag it over the seat.  I suspect it looked funny at the gas station, but worked like a charm.  As I practiced I could almost lift my left leg enough to not drag it too much across the seat.  

Fast forward to my FJ-09 and following total right hip replacement surgery.  When the FJ is unloaded without a tail bag and if it has either the soft Yamaha side cases on or not, I can typically swing my right leg over the seat while standing on the ground with my left leg.  However, I do use the left foot peg depending on the day.  Getting off is more or less the reverse.  Sometimes I will put it up on the centre stand and then just hop on with my left foot on the left foot peg.  When the bike is fully loaded with side cases and a large duffel bag on the back passenger part of the seat I will get on and off like I indicated for the KLR.  Moreover, with the FJ I have the centre stand and I will use it to make it even easier to get on when the bike is fully loaded.  Getting off a loaded FJ-09, I will typically put it down as normal on the left side stand and then step off the right side of the bike and lift my left leg as high as possible and up and over the seat to the right.  

My son and I rented F or G 800 GS's from Knopf Rentals in Heidelberg, Germany in 2015 and they had more of a lean on the side stand so it was a bit scary getting on by stepping up on the left foot peg.  Instead I put the centre stand down and got on with my left foot on the left foot peg and pull my right knee up.  Getting off the fully loaded 800 GS was as per what I indicated for a loaded KLR or FJ-09.  

When I first started riding the KLR at 50 and the FJ-09 at 53 I would practice getting off and on an unloaded and loaded bike in our garage behind a closed garage door!  Even with practice though I still managed to tip my KLR over to the right side as I leaned too far to the right when getting off on the left foot peg.  It was amusing for the Starbucks crowd on the patio at Chapters in Red Deer, Alberta.  I still had my helmet on and had two choices, get the bike up and ride off or park the bike as normal and go into Chapters.  I took my helmet off and went into Chapters and enjoyed a coffee while looking up some travel books.

kroc - I dips me lid to anyone still riding after a hip replacement... ;-|

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

My FJ is lowered as I am only 5'5" and cannot flat foot even with the seat in the low position.

With the bike fully loaded (which it is most of the time) including at the moment a 60lt duffel on the back, I pick up my right left and place it on the seat and then scootch over the seat in like a hopping motion. Yes, folk look at me a little strange at times.......not sure if it is because an old female is travelling on her own or the fact of the way I mount and dismount the bike. Getting off is the opposite, left leg down then scootch backward til the right leg comes across.

I have tried standing on the left peg, but I'm still not 100% confident in doing this. Guess practice makes perfect and something I will trying on my upcoming trip.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

My FJ is lowered as I am only 5'5" and cannot flat foot even with the seat in the low position. 
With the bike fully loaded (which it is most of the time) including at the moment a 60lt duffel on the back, I pick up my right left and place it on the seat and then scootch over the seat in like a hopping motion. Y

Right left?   Simultaneously at the same time together, kimmie (levitation?), or one at a time.   Next time we meet you must give me a demo... ;)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

You may be small in stature, kimmie, but you have a big-hearted sense of adventure that many here may envy!  :'(

With the bike fully loaded (which it is most of the time) including at the moment a 60lt duffel on the back, I pick up my right left and place it on the seat and then scootch over the seat in like a hopping motion. Y

Right left?   Simultaneously at the same time together, kimmie (levitation?), or one at a time.   Next time we meet you must give me a demo... ;)

LOL.....should say "leg".
I might be clever but magic isnt in my repetior

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Archived